Early Sept. Update

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Early Sept. Update Bulletin

Highlights:
    • The Planechase planes have been added.
    • The four Zendikar cards that appear in the Planechase decks have been added.
    • Since two of the cards in the Planechase decks have the new kicker template, all 73 previous cards that mention kicker have been updated. More on this after the jump.
    • 20 cards that appear in Masters Edition III got template changes to better reflect how they were originally printed. All details to come.
    • Two cards from Portal Three Kingdoms got the same change that one of the Masters Edition III cards got. Ditto for an Arabian Nights card and its Masters Edition III counterpart.
    • Reaping the Rewards got a typo corrected. ("Sacrifice" was misspelled in Oracle.)
    • Æther Rift got an obsolete wording updated. ("Discard a card from your hand" changed to just "Discard a card.")
    • Harm's Way got a minor wording correction to help alleviate some confusion. Shining Shoal and Shadowbane got the same fix.
    and
  2. train The Wildcard!!!...

They actually listed "Casual Variants"... Maybe this is the time for us to dig up a lot of things we have seen over the years - and submit to them for inclusion in the rulebook?...

It might be our big break!...
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, I think it's too late for the edition coming out with Zendikar, but for future inclusion, maybe... let's see what they have first.
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

Well - you'd a thunk that since they included Planechase - they would have included Vanguard - since they printed them... Or at least I think they printed them...

also - Unglued and unhinged...
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

They might have, we'd have to see. But what special rules are needed for Vanguard, Unglued and Unhinged? They're not really "variants" like Chaos Magic or EDH or Tribal...
  6. train The Wildcard!!!...

Well - Vanguard modified the gameplay as noted on each card, and i don't recall if the ability/card was randomly determined - but each player had one...

As for Unglued and Unhinged - they only modified the rules as noted on the cards... I mean, unless they are doing planechase in tourneys - I would consider it in the same league as the rest...
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yeah, but you don't need special rules for those. Vanguard modified hand size and life, I believe - that's pretty easy to remember since the cards are right in front of you. The Un- cards were just wacky, but not really a format by themselves.
  8. train The Wildcard!!!...

"The Cheese Stands Alone"... what better win condition can there be?...
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Didn't that actually become Barren Glory though?
  10. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Yes. I'd definitely put Unglued in a different category from Vanguard. Unglued cards go in decks, even if they aren't legal in many rulesets. Vanguard cards aren't. Seems pretty important.
  11. train The Wildcard!!!...

It was Barren Glory - and I guess I can see why Vanguard and Unglued would be separate - I guess I'm just looking at the variant as some of the other cards change how rules are applied, etc.

Chaos Confetti...

That would actually change the size of your deck as from that point forward you would be 1 card less... running 4 of them in a deck would really change the number of cards in your deck as you played them...
  12. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Yeah, but so would ripping up your Chaos Orb, which is where the concept came from.
  13. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I don't think they're so much as variant as just unorthodox ways to play cards or the game. You can play them in Tribal, 2HG, EDH, which are true variants - those dictate restrictions on deck building and game play as a whole.
  14. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Late Sept. 2009 Update Bulletin

15. theorgg Slob

I'm dissappointed that they screwed up the Flagbearers again. Their ability was ruled to play similar to a triggered ability (because people couldn't 'back up' and take back their spell after announcement), and then they just made that the actual way they worked.
  16. train The Wildcard!!!...

Dang it!... I have to re-download and print the sucker again when he completes them...

BUT - if they are including a truly casual variant from an outside group such as EDH - I'm sure we can get something in there if we get a world-class following for it... :cool: