Dragons in Type 2

D

Daenen

Since I was a little kid, I have had an obsession with Dragons. The first time my mother told me the story of St. Peter, I cried. Hell, I cried when Godzilla died in Godzilla 1985. Anyway, I thought that it would be kinda fun to build a Dragon deck (type 2). Well, here goes:

Land (25)
3 Crystal Vein
3 Sandstone Needle
19 Mountain

Artifacts (18)
4 Urza's Incubators
4 Grim Monolith
4 Fire Diamonds
4 Voltaic Key
2 Worn Powerstone

Dragons
4 Covetous Dragon
4 Shivan Hellkite
2 Lightning Dragon
2 Two-Headed Dragon

Spells
4 Shock
4 Flame Rift

It's a little Rogue (63 cards), but it seems to work beautifully. I haven't tried it out against any other decks yet, but we'll see what we can do later. If any of you have suggestions on how I can make this better, please tell me. Thank you in advance.

"If you know your enemy, and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

T

The Magic Jackal

aether flash (i think we've been over this before). A belbe's portal or two would be useful, in case you don't pull and incubator, and it would stop counter decks.

D

Daenen

Ok, Jackal. I'll try it just for you. I only have one though, so I'll have to either borrow one or trade for it.

D

Duel

Along with Belbe goes quicksilver amulet and, in case you don't get either, you might throw in pyromancy. That's good direct damage in case you're up against an anti-creature deck.

T

The Magic Jackal

thanks daenen. As for the amulet, why play with it? the only creatures he has is dragons, and the portal is one less to activate. the amulet will always suck

G

Gryphonclaw

(sorry but I can't just let this pass)

Hey! Quicksilver amulet is Good!

First: It allows you to get out creatures without paying casting cost. And the mana required is colorless. Combine with the mana generation available these days and you have speed stompy in any color. Serra avatar, Flowstone overlord, Tidal kraken, etc.

Second: These critters come into play as a fast effect. Surprise blockers, surprise attackers, and with come-into-play effects, instant speed damage, or critterkill, or artifact destruction, etc.

Third: If you can get this out, you are gauranteed to be able to get out one creature per turn when your opponents playing countermagic.

Fourth: It combos rather nicely with survival of the fittest. (for 4G and a creature discard I will bribery myself)

Fourth: The flavor text is excellent. Something like: "Okay, you got out a lion, now put it back" :D

I used this device with great effect in a GR Dragons and Elves deck.
Admittedly, if you are playing a deck heavily featuring one sort of creature, belbe's portal is cheaper, but for multiple creature types, (serra avatar and bloodshot cyclops) it is very good.

T

The Magic Jackal

Let's see, elvish piper is a lot better for green decks, and the portal is better for anyother deck that has lots of the same creatures (rebel, merc). That takes care of green and white. Blue isn't heavy on creautes, red has lots of cheap creatures, and black has cheap creatures and mana accelrators-Dark ritual. IMHO, the amulet will never see tournament play. Maybe is blue control was being played a lot in your area-it might be useful as a sideboard card.

A

Apollo

I think the amulet is not very good. Here goes:

>First: It allows you to get out creatures without paying casting cost.

It costs four to activate. With four mana, you can cast most creatures anyway. And if you are playing with very expensive creatures, and don't get the amulet, you have no chance. Plus, as you said, there is all kinds of fast mana right now. You might as well just take your fast mana/amulet deck, change the amulets into more fast mana, and just cast the creatures. It would be a lot more expensive.

>Second: These critters come into play as a fast effect.

While this is true, they aren't speed damage: they have summoning sickness. Most of the time you don't need to kill creatures as a fast effect because of summoning sickness. Most widely played artifacts aren't going to significantly change the game the turn they come into play anyway. Plus, if you have the amulet, they'll be ready. Not much of a surprise.

>Third: If you can get this out, you are gauranteed to be able to get out one creature per turn when your opponents playing countermagic.

Perfectly true. This is a solid point.

>Fourth: It combos rather nicely with survival of the fittest. (for 4G and a creature discard I will bribery myself)

Although this is true, it is a two-card combo, and there are two-card combos that aren't type 2 legal that will win you the game instead of laying a creature. Plus, most of the creatures to survival for can be played for four or less anyway.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

Apollo

D

Duel

Quicksilver Amulet is good if you don't happen to play with only one creature type in the deck (as belbe's portal requires) or if you're not playing green (elvish piper). It's ideal for Wildfire, as typically, you'll have very few land, so colored mana could get tricky, and it works in any color on any creature period! It goes in any stompy deck. Playing white weenie, and decide you need some serra avatars, but are short on mana? Or maybe you need a thorn elemental in your white weenie deck, it can do that. It works with any color for any color and that makes it ten times as versatile as either elvish piper or belbe's portal. I'd pay an extra for the right to play Crater hellions as well as Covetous Dragons.

[Edited by Duel (03-26-2000 at 12:44 AM).]

U

Ura

Well, I'll start by saying that I agree that the amulet will probably never see tournament play, but who cares, we're all casual here. :)
The amulet is a fun just to play with in an artifact deck that you want to throw a few monkey wrenches into.
I've actually played a 5 color brown deck that ran off amulets. It had 1 thorn elemental, 1 tidal kraken, 1 Avatar, 1 Lord of the Pit, and 1 Shivan Hellkite. I also had soothsaying to get my cards early with all the artifact mana. It was just fun to have a game locked down with mishra's helix's and helm's of posesion, then drop a big colorful fatty on the table and watch my opponent groan. :)
Basically the amulet is definately not tourny material, especially with 3rd and 4th turn kills out there. But its a definate thumbs up for me in the casual catagory just cause it can be fun to make decks around.

[Edited by Ura (03-26-2000 at 01:52 AM).]