Doubling perments?

E

evan d

Would it be possible to make a perment double each turn, I.E. 1, i play spell, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32.

I was thinking like UUGG instant, put a copy of target artifact into play; and an enchantment like UUU, enchanted perment has "at the begging of your upkeep, put a copy of this perment into play.

They could be a couple of cycles of cards for each perment type.

J

jackal_pup

sounds a bit overpowered, though if you made it something like "at the beginning of your upkeep you may pay the casting cost of enchanted permenant. If you do, you may put a copy of enchanted permenant into play"
it would certainly be an interesting effect, though you may have to restrict what types of permenants you could enchant in order to make it not too powerful... (think enchanting a mox or lotus or even a land with this, it would get ridiculous very quickly)
or perhaps a better way to balance it would be to make it something like this:
(enchant permenant)
"May not target land. At the beginning of your upkeep you may pay the casting cost of enchanted permenant. Then, any of your opponents may choose to pay the converted casting cost of enchanted permenant. If you paid the casting cost of enchanted permenant and none of your opponents paid the converted casting cost of enchanted permenant, put a copy of enchanted permenant into play."
just some thoughts :)

E

evan d

What i wanted it do be was taht when you paly it it has no effect (1). on your secodn turn it is marginally ok (2). On the third turn it is pretty good(4). turns four and it is great. Kinda of a deal with this now or face the wrath a few turns later. They would be restricted to there types. Enchant art/enc/cre/land. It might be possible to make them so that u pay there costs during your upkeep, and if u cant sac taht one. This way it only goes up to what u can handle. Would be great with sacable things like sacura tribe uber.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since it doubles every turn, I think it'd explode too fast and be too hard to balance, the way you're presenting it right now.

E

evan d

Tell me how it could be broken. It should basicly be either a card that is dealt with, or it would probably be a win more card. I mean what am i going to do with 256 Darksteel Collosi that I cant do with 1, other than 2186 damage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking that if the effect keeps recurring, it does become a "deal with this now" card and becomes a pain to play against. It probably will be a card that will be in a lot of decks and thus turn the environment into "play with it or against it". Because the way you're presenting it now, why wouldn't you play with it?

E

evan d

Seriously, i love delayed effect cards, becuase they give your opponet so long to deal with it. If your has a way to deal with it, it will simply draw hate. It can be a dead card in your hand. Your opponet could get a 2 for one. The first turn play it, it has NO effect. The second turn it is basicly a sculpting steel. The third turn is when i gets kind of broken, but it still balances out to a sculpting steel. The fourth turn is brockeness.

What artifact could you break with this. The rack and ilk? Nothing legendary. It could be used on an opponets legendary thing.

It shoudl a non-creature artifacts.

S

Swiftcutter

You mean something like...

Tribble (1GG)
Creature - Tribble
1/1
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a token into play that's a copy of Tribble.

J

jorael

Ouch.

1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 8 -> 16

4 turns after you play Tribble, you could have 31 of them. And an opponent needs to have mass removal to stop the multiplying. Too nasty...!

L

Limited

jorael said:
And an opponent needs to have mass removal to stop the multiplying.
Yeah, like with bunnies!

I was flipping through some old sketchbooks of mine and found a card I thought of years back.. Was a 1/1 knight which puts a copy of itself into play if it blocks.
That way, it kinda up to your opponents..

E

evan d

jorael said:
4 turns after you play Tribble, you could have 31 of them.
No... You start out with one(1). Then at your upkeep you put a copy into play (2). NExt upkeep you put 2 more into play (4).Then u put 4 into paly (8). Then 8, (16).

I think I had example in the first post.

E

evan d

But is this a good effect.

How about 1U as a sorceryto copy an artifact.

D

DarthFerret

In doubling the effect, what about doubling the activation cost...therefore limiting just how far the card can actually go, while still making it fairly effective?