Double XX

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Killer Joe, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

Okay, this is a first year newbie question: How exactly does Recall work?

Recall
    XXU - Sorcery
    Discard X cards from your hand: Return X cards from your graveyard to your hand.

explain it real slow in small bit size chunks.
    I'm NOT kidding!

~Mark
  2. rkoelsch Angel Boy

okay so really slow

first you have to decide how many cards x is going to be for example say the number is 2

then pay the casting cost 2 + 2 + U or 5cc

then discard 2 cards from your hand

then pick 2 cards to be returned to you hand.

now let say it is late in the game and you have a lot of mana
    we will make x equal to 5

casting cost is 5 + 5 + U or 11cc

discard 5 cards

then get 5 cards back from your graveyard

hope this helps
  3. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Its double of the card draw/discard...

if you want four cards, you have to pay double (8) and discard 4...
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

Also - since targets are announced when playing the spell - you may not pick up any of the cards you discard...
  5. Notepad Seffy Sefro

Double X works the same as normal X. You choose the number and pump it as much as you want. However, when there are two, both have to be the same amount. That means ya gotta pay twice as much as you want, like Nightstalkers said, if you wanna get 4, you have to pay 8.
  6. Killer Joe Active Member

A little humility goes a long way, I'm glad you guys helped me out.

That's good to know about targets being announced.

Thanks,
    ~Mark
  7. Notepad Seffy Sefro

You're welcome, and have fun, man! :D

Enjoy using all those wacky XX cards. Of course, now that you have those down, try the XY card, or the XYZ card! ;)
  8. EricBess Active Member

Okay, first off, let me say that all of this is really close, but you're going to walk away with the wrong answer on a few of these points. I'll start by posting the most recent oracle wording for Recall:

Recall
    {X}{X}{U}
    Sorcery
    Discard X cards from your hand, then return a card from your graveyard to your hand for each card discarded this way. Remove Recall from the game.

rkoelsch was correct with his steps, but left out a few points. You choose X. Then, you pay the cost. So, if you chose X to be 3, you would pay 33U, or 6U.

Then, Recall would go on the stack and could be responded to, countered, etc.

When Recall resolves, you MUST discard as many cards as you can, up to X (3 in our example). If you no longer have 3 cards in hand, you discard everything you do have. Note, however, that you only return a number of cards equal to what you actually discard.

Now, here's the point that's going to shock a few people. You return a number of cards from your graveyard to your hand equal to the number that you discarded, any card, even those that you just discarded may be returned to your hand. In fact, if someone empties your graveyard in response to you casting Recall, then you MUST return the cards that you discard.

train means well, but sometimes, he doesn't read the cards :p:D Where on Recall did you see the word target train? lol

Recall does not target anything. As long as the card is in the graveyard when it is time to return cards (which the discarded cards will be), you can return it to your hand.

And I'm sure train is thinking right now, "you learn something new every day..." :D
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Man, if I was paying closer attention, I could have gotten train on that... :p
  10. EricBess Active Member

Well, someone's got to keep an eye on him... :eek::D:D
  11. train The Wildcard!!!...

That darn "Ghost-Like "target" that appears on my screen!!!...

Don't ask... It's been an interesting week is all I can say...

No kidding... I'll see if I can find someone to do that...;)

And you know what - with as good as I may usually be on rules... it took a level 3 to notice...:eek: :D ;)
  12. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

And the DCI won't allow a Nightstalker to become a judge why? We reduce Mots down to wimpering childlike behavior for screwing up and giving out the wrong judgements on plays all the time at the local tournaments!

Nightstalkers <---- First ones who actually had to judge at a tournament because the Mot didnt' know what the hell he was saying when he tryed ruling on double-strike!
  13. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I was just trying to catch up on all the posts here... took me about 4 hours. Otherwise I would have gotten it... :rolleyes: (at me)

;)
  14. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

What I'm still griping about is teh fact that most judges are too self centered to admit their mistakes!
  15. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Could be true in your area... my (limited) experience with judges has been that they agreed with me, so I haven't had a problem with them :)
  16. EricBess Active Member

Oh, but I never make mistakes :p

Okay :rolleyes: I've been known to make mistakes. I'm not sure about the circumstances you are talking about Nightstalkers, but sometimes, there is tournament integrity to consider. Although, if I discovered I had made a mistake, I would try to correct it fairly quickly, assuming it was an incorrect rules question.

Of course, as head judge, I am always right, even if I am wrong. That's the rules. If someone disagrees with me, I'll volunteer to put the question up on the judge list to make sure I was right. I'm not above thinking I can learn something new. But for me personally, I end up right over 90% of the time.

The non-rules decisions are a lot harder because there is typically no "right" or "wrong". There is often a "better" and "worse" solution, but it is not always clear. Trying to keep everyone happy is part of the job, but so is realizing that it's not always possible.
  17. train The Wildcard!!!...

So far - Locally... not CPA locally, but San Angelo Locally...
    I've always been right...

"But it's not like it's Finkel or Kai asking a question... if they'd ask a question..."
  18. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

I love fighting with the head judge around here. I had to get off a few minutes ago to take his page to ask if I really liked to prove him wrong :D Now he's asking me if I can volunteer to help him on the next tourney! He's just going to try making me look like an oink in front of everybody if and when I screw up... so I turned him down.

that doesn't mean I wont be there to watch the tourney though :D :D :D
  19. train The Wildcard!!!...

Ummm...

to my knowledge - if it's a big enough tourney... judges get support... as in packs and what not...

"I'd do anything for Magic... well... not that... well... maybe... no... ummm... well..."
  20. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

would you burn all 8th edition cards and plant a thermonuclear device in WotC central to preserve Magic as we know it? :confused: :p

:D