Door to Nothingness Sunburst Deck

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

okay okay.. so You can really win without it. But theyre are 2 in there so technically its a Door deck.

The greatest moment in Magic history was having my door mindslaved to open on me .

1 Mirrodin's Core
3 Swamps
3 Mountains
3 Plains
3 Islands
9 Forests

Artifacts:
4 Pentad Prism
4 Skyreach Manta
3 Etched Oracle
3 Engineered Explosives
2 Clearwater Goblet
2 Door to Nothingness
2 Solarion
2 Doubling Cube

Green:
4 Joiner Adept
4 Channel of the Suns
3 Dawn's Reflection

Other:
2 Black Bringer
2 Blue Bringer

You can switch it up, if youre against burn, run 4 clearwater. If youre trying to outrun a deck run 2 blue 2 black. If youre against an elf deck or goblin deck run 2 black and 2 white bringers to recur the engineered explosives.

F

Force of Will Smith

cause its fun. It works as well. Every single game i win is usually by 3 cards, Manta Riders, Engineered Explosives, and the Door. Bringers never really attack but the black one brings me my explosives. :)

You'd be surprised how well it works.
Try it out. You'd probably change your tune.

If you wanted to make it slightly more competetive, id do

-2 Doubling Cube
-2 Solarion
-2 Door
for

+2 White Bringer
+1 Clearwater Goblem
+2 Infused Arrows
+1 Engineered Explosives

That way youd have
2 Blue (Card advantage)
2 Black (Tutoring)
2 White (Reusing infused and engin Expl)

but why do a deck like everyone else?
goes against being casual doesnt it?
OH man.. i should put 2 Aeliopiles in here... keep recurring them for the kill.. that'd be amazing!!

:D

For all new players, Aeliopile is just that... a pile, or actually like a crappier version of Pyrite spellbomb

Aeliopile 2
1, T, Sacrifice Aeliopile: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player

T

Tabasco

How can u build a block deck with no Mindslaver?? Especially when running a White Bringer

Channel of the suns is horribly slow

as is Door....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't think I would change my tune. Door to Nothingness is the single card I hate the most. The only thing that allows me to forgive 5th Dawn for having it is Eon Hub...

T

Tabasco

How is it not....

It requires 10 mana to activate (2 of each color) and a tap

It COMES INTO PLAY TAPPED....in most cases that means you need to wait another turn.

I can think of many things that can help it out......Naturalize, Shatter, Disenchant will make sure its gone before activated......O and not to mention the numerous counterspells.....Annul only costs U

T

train

You can get your mana with only 5 lands and some mana enchantment... Is there hate against it - yes, but there's hate for every deck...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You can also win with a Sorrow's Path deck. But that's different. Sorrow's Path is a genuinely bad card. Door is a bad card that's meant to look cool, but fails miserably. I hate Door even more than I hate Coalition Victory. If I see someone trying to use it in multiplayer, I will dedicate all of my resources to destroy that individual. Usually I try to win, but against such disgusting cards, it's a matter of principle...

Train: You can accelerate a card that costs 5 to cast and 10 to activate, yet wins you the game. You can also accelerate cards that cost 5 to cast, and win you the game without needing to be untapped and taking up WWUUBBRRGG.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If I see someone trying to use it in multiplayer, I will dedicate all of my resources to destroy that individual.
You sound like the guy in my MP group who has a thing against Morphling... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Morphling is a perfectly reasonable card. It is a creature with some abilities, all of which are pretty similar to the abilities of other creatures. It just happens to have an inordinate number of them...

Like Chromat really, except the Morphling doesn't suck...

Door is a win condition card. I do not mind Divine Intervention. It's cool. The Cheese Stands Alone is from Unglued and it's funny. Celestial Convergence seems kind of stupid to me, but it is funny to watch if it really does go off. Battle of Wits is just great, because my opponents will build giant decks that have no hope of actually winning. Mortal Combat is scary looking at first, but less efficient than real cards. Test of Endurance is more annoying--like Celestial Convergence, except that it has a better chance of working. I almost lost to it once. I really hate that one. Epic Struggle is just pathetic, since having that many creatures should win the game anyway. It might have a place in a casual multiplayer deck with slots open that aren't needed, but that's about it. Chance Encounter would require the entire deck to be built around it, and now that Frenetic Efreet has been errata'd, it's not so much of a threat. I don't like that it's a win condition card, but it's still kind of cute. Phage the Untouchable is a creature and an expensive one, plus it has its own little drawback that makes reanimating it or Sneaking it in a bad idea. I dislike the idea still, but it's a bad card anyway, like most of the others. Darksteel Reactor has no advantage whatsoever to play in any deck. It is possible to win with it, but in any combo that uses it, the other components could easily be used with a card that actually does SOMETHING. In short, it's a bad card.

Coalition Victory is worse though. I can't stand that one. And Door is quite possibly as bad. When players actually use these cards, I take it as a personal affront...

Plus there's my oath that if I lose to Door's activation, I will be forced to build a deck based around Snowfall. I am not Train. That would not be easy for me. I do not want to have to do it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I meant more how different players have their own "pet peeves" about certain cards and how that would make them play in games... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, well, I guess that's right then...

Although I can't see the problem with Morphling. I remember from another thread that this wasn't about Morphling being too good--it was about it being too complex or something. I don't see how Morphling could be complex at all. You can pay a blue mana to give it flying, untap it, or make it untargetable. You can pay 1 to give it either +1/-1 or -1/+1. None of this sounds overly complex to me. Flying is just like Flying Men. Untapping is just like Horseshoe Crab. Untargetability is just like Crystalline Sliver. The +1/-1 ability is just like Flowstone Mauler. The -1/+1 ability is just like, um...Alpha Kavu. None of these abilies are particularly hard to understand, and it's not like having all of them means that Morphling uses all of them at once, or something else that would actually be complicated...

N

Notepad

Doesn't Door to Nothingness SUCK?!? Oversoul always says so. And you know what? He has a very good point. Win with a Sliver Queen or Rith or Crosis instead. Better use of all that multicolored mana.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know, it's more about the pumping ability, although how it uses the stack in general.

basically his problem was how I pumped up the power before damage dealing and then pumped up the toughness when damage was on the stack. It was 'too much' for him, despite its apparent simplicity... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sounds like an excuse for being outsmarted...

Not that I would know, of course. I never use them myself... :eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know. Still, it's a decision of whether to use it and thus end up being his target for the rest of the game, which is really no fun, or not...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's too bad, really...

But Door is different...

Because the reason for my irrational hatred for Door is in its crapiness and stuff...

Morphling is a good card...

F

Force of Will Smith

OMG. Door isnt played immediately.

The deck is a gradual control build. Door is one of many ways to take down an opponent. Coalition is oink, door has opened 8 times, once in a multiplayer, and one mindslaved to me. Channel is amazingly fast. Haven't you played a sunburst deck before??

T1:land,
T2:land, Pentad
T3:Channel, Any Bringer

if youre opponent doesnt burn him, tutor for an engineered, pop it appropriately. If hes got red/black get a goblet or another engineered, or just a white bringer..

When you can pop engineered every turn, you can do whatever you want. and Doubling with door works. Omg, i thought at least one person would have seen it happen. :eek:

thats assuming you dont run joiners, birds, or moxen

Slivers are stupid and far too easy..
an uncounterable, discarding, detonating, flying, pro:colors, regenerating, hibernating fleet is easy to win with..

You dont even need to worry about lands!!

2 Color sliver decks i give props. Man, i'd love to waste you with a door :). Add some hanna's custody's. and watch your artifact hate crumble :). Maybe i should run a couple mindslavers.. it'd take longer but man oh man...

N

NorrYtt

Believe it or not, fellas, I think Door of Nothingness is the best kill for my Cog deck. First of all, an updated decklist:

CogDoor v3.1

Creatures (14)
4 Trinket Mage
4 Auriok Salvagers
4 Etched Oracle
2 Bringer of the Black Dawn

Cogs and Mana (24)
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Wayfarer's Bauble
4 Pentad Prism
4 Engineered Explosives
1 Welding Jar
1 Necrogen Spellbomb
1 Aether Spellbomb
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Sunbeam Spellbomb
2 Salvaging Station
1 Door to Nothingness

Land (22)
1 Ancient Den
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Great Furnace
1 Tree of Tales
4 Plains
4 Island
3 Swamp
3 Mountain
3 Forest

This deck rides on the power of Auriok Salvagers and Engineered Explosives. After many games, I feel these are the two best cards in the deck, and together they produce an "inevitable board position" where I can simply blow up whatever my opponent topdecks. (There's a surprisingly low number of 4cc permanents to kill). This has happened in numerous playtest sessions and at Friday Night Magic, too.

I originally had 1 Rude Awakening as a Black Bringer tutor kill card, but Door to Nothingness is better. Why? Let me explain.

With this deck, you are constantly building your manabase by sac'ing Baubles and fetching artifact lands with Trinket Mage. You want 5 different colors on turn 4 if possible. As the game progresses, you naturally build up to 2 sources of the 5 colors, with an emphasis on white to use Auriok Salvagers. You want gas for your Salvagers; these guys are stalwart.

This deck wants to control the table with Explosives and various Spellbombs. It gains cards through Salvagers, Etched Oracle, and Salvaging Station. I'm blowing stuff up and drawing cards. While squeaking damage through with Trinket Mages and Auriok Salvagers would be nice, it's a low priority to simply staying in control.

Door to Nothingness fits in here perfectly. I don't really need to kill my opponent by tight playing of damage sources. Door allows me to not worry about lots of cards, like Pulse of the Fields (an absolute nightmare card).

When I drop Door, it has Welding Jar backup. While you may think it gets raped by artifact removal, once I'm in control and Salvaging Station is going nuts, Welding Jar protects most of my table. The only artifact kill spell that can hit is Oxidize. And if you take a look at the decklist, there are plenty of Oxidize targets, so it's unlikely my opponent will hold it for the one turn window Door gives them before the kill.

This deck accels against LD strategies because of the abundance of mana, Salvagers to recur Wayfarer Baubles and Artifact Lands, the ability to remove Arc-Sloggers with Engineered Explosives (and sometimes life-gain with Sunbeam Spellbomb).

This deck is bad against anything that packs Akroma's Vengeance, and most control decks in general that just sit and do nothing but play lands. This deck has no way to punish or clock a slow control deck, and as a result it (usually) plays the control game worse than they can. You usually end up getting Mindslavers and killed with Decree tokens or Darksteel Colossus. This deck is a Mirrodin Block Constructed deck anyway, so don't expect to win against such shenanigans.