Does type II define the basic sets?

Z

Zero

*A question posed to ya'll:

Will cursed scroll be in 7th edition?

I think yes, it will be. Why? Because the only reason cursed scroll was "broken" (I hate that word....*sighes*), was because the cards that were with it were all fast, and had empty hands incredibly fast. With the invasion format, its hard to lose your hand (Espicially with cantrip stuff.

For an alter example:
Reprinting Ertai in 7th would be a bad idea! He would dominate! Total Blue Ertai domination! Because ertai is bent for the slow game! While cursed scroll is ment for fast. The answer? print them in an enviroment opposite to their original creation design and they will not be overpowered!

Amd I just a southern loony here on this one? Or does it all actually make sense?

W

Whimsical

Cursed Scroll in 7th Ed.?! <quickly forks sign of the evil eye> That would be a Bad Thing (TM). Since I'm no expert, so I can't really defend mah stance. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the mean, green, card-flopping machines here at the CPA have to say...

Pssst! That's your collective cues, guys! Get cracking on the job! :D

G

Gizmo

I think reprinting the Scroll would indeed be A Bad Thing. But D.A.Gregory did confirm that he had just finished a new artwork for the card in preparation for 7th and MARO said that a powerful Rath artifact would be reprinted, so it looks like it will be in...

The Scroll was okay, but I think maybe the slower environment we see now might make it a little less amazing. Possibly it will be back and won`t be such a big deal.

B

Baskil

I don't think it will be as dominant as it was before, especially with the lack of efficient 1-drops. Now if they reprint Tradewind Rider... that would be a little different.

A

Apollo

I think that it will be in. Not because putting it in is a good idea (since when has that mattered to Wizco. anyway?), but because of the random little clues we've been getting (see below). I think that it is a Bad Thing (TM) because, even if it is less powerful, it will still be really good. RDW, that Gizmo used to like so much (but hasn't mentioned recently) will become really good because it can empty its hand fast enough to use the Scroll well. It won't ever have to use its burn on opposing creatures again; it can just Scroll the creatures and keep on toasting the other player.

R

Ristik

This reminds me of the dilemna when Jester's Cap was reprinted in 5th. It was considered a very Bad Thing (TM) because it was apparently rather dominant when the control-dominated Ice Age environment was around. However, the environment when 5th edition was around was rather fast, so Cap was largely ignored.
I think Scroll will be good if is reprinted in 7th. Dominant? With all these Invasion cards and artifact kill around? I think not. Remember, in the Ice Age era, there were not like 5 playable Disenchants as well as 3 Shatters. Look at playable TARGETED artifact kill right now. Abolish, Crash, Creeping Mold, Dismantling Blow, Disenchant, Overload, Pillage, Seal of Cleansing, Shatter, and Uktabi Orangutan. That covers three colors, each of which has one that is extremely playable at least in sideboard (Seal of Cleansing, Pillage, Creeping Mold). Then there are the non-targeted effects: Void, Obliterate/Jokulhaups, Pulverize, and Kill Switch. That's 10 good targeted effects and five nontargeted ones, covering three colors. Black doesn't NEED to deal with it, and blue can bounce or counter. If you can't handle Scroll in the new t2 environment, you should go back to playing Old Maid.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

What you said about Jester's Cap was even more true with 6E and Grinning Totem.

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually, Grinning Totem was never worth a damn.

I can't believe they reprinted it.

T

terzarima

I really don't know if WOTC would re-print cursed scroll, but if they did, would any of us really care? Well, maybe, it just doesn't seem too fit in as well as it used to you know what I mean. If scroll were reprinted if wouldn't nessicarily be a bad thing (tm) or a good thing (tm) becuase, face it, every one would use it, but everyone would have a plan against it, I really don't think it matters if it is re-printed

P.S What is this cantrip thing I always hear about?

A

Apollo

That is any card that does an effect and then says "Draw a card" or "Draw a card at end of turn" or "Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep."

T

Thrash Golem

so then archivist has cantrip?

NEways, if cursed scroll was reprinted, sligh would rule again. stuff like mogg toady, firebrand ranger, rage weaver, good power to casting cost ratios. also kris mage could get rid of extra mountains. i dont say skizzik cuz true sligh has nothing with a casting cost of 3 or higher

A

Apollo

Actually, True Sligh has a mana curve where there are a bunch of 1-cost spells, fewer 2-cost spells, fewer 3-cost spells, and a few 4-cost. The object is to use all of your mana every turn.

The "Nothing 3 or more" Sligh is actually Deadguy Red, or Stupid Red Burn, or Red Deck Wins, or something else.

And Archivist isn't a cantrip, imho. It's generally a card that does some other effect, and draws a card as a side effect, like Dismiss. And they only give you the card once.

K

K

There will be no such thing as Sligh in the T2 environment. There aren't many cards to build the true Slight, and even if there is, T2 is full of nasty cards that could make Sligh go back wherever it came from.

BUT, should there be any desperate attempts, Skizzik will for sure find home in such a deck.

S

Smithy

Cursed Scroll in 7th :eek:

Cursed Scroll shafts mono Blue big style.
What of the copious ammounts of artifact control does Blue have....?
Energy Flux, yeh great:(

Killer Joe

IMHO, I don't think WotC would jeopardize the stability of the current Type II environment. They worked hard to get it this way, so why upset it.
I do have a suggestion for WotC though, why don't they print a casual set (of course, non-legal) and they can print all of the hard core stuff they can muster up. I know 'Unglued' was supposed to be that, but I think maybe a more serious set would do better.
This set could include:
Cursed Scroll (or similar)
etc...
I know this was a topic before, so I won't say much more about it.
To answer your title of this thread:
"Does type II define the basic sets?"
No.
Type II is defined by it's current legal Stand-alone sets and is supported by the basic set.

D

Dune Echo

Where is this info about D. Alexander Gregory redoing the artwork for Cursed Scroll? Where is this info from MaRo?

Sligh's mana curve theory is this:
1 mana slot: 9-13
2 mana slot: 6-8
3 mana slot: 3-5
4 mana slot: 1-3
X spell: 2-3
Lightning bolt (critter kills): 8-10
Mana: 23-26, 15-17 of color

Of course, that is early theory. Nowadays, the mana curve tries to avoid the 4cc and Xcc spells and Lightning Bolt, or a truly suitable replacement, do not even exist. I'm sure an acceptible amount of creatures could be found now (Flailing Soldier, Kris Mage, Veteran Brawlers anyone?). Also, Urza's Rage does not follow the normal sligh curve but, it is extremely dangerous to the blue player. And Skizzik can be put into the 4cc spots if neccessary. I'm going to cover the rest of this in a new thread though.