Does anyone here read the Magic Novels?

Q

Quill

Just curious, I just got done reading The Thran. And even though that particular book doesn't have any of the characters whose cards I use (Never used any of the Yawgmoth cards) I really enjoyed reading about the world of Magic. I'm starting Mercadian Masques today...any opinions on it..or any of the other novels?

D

Dune Echo

I really liked Planeswalker just because of all the references to different cards. I also really liked the history of Xantcha. She's one of my favorite characters because she's so interesting. The book was really well written tool.

Z

Zadok001

Personally, I like the whole Brother's War trilogy better than the other books I've gone through. I got kinda tired of Gerrard + Co. after Exodus.

Also, if you can find 'em, there's an older trilogy of books. It's lighter reading, not quite as deep, but pretty good. I can't remember all the names of the books or the order they're in. One is Final Sacrifice, another Shattered Chains. The last one is actually the one that starts the trilogy, but I can't remember the name.

Oh. And if you _avoid_ any of the M:tG books, don't read Rath and Storm. It's got a good plot, but it switch authors and perspectives each chapter. Literally. One chapter, you're reading first person Gerrard, the next your in third person following Karn. Wheeeee! It's really annoying.

"Who am I again?"

T

theorgg

I LOVE THE OLD MAGIC NOVELS!!
there great for a good read through...
lemme go and get one so I can tell you all the titles.
1. Arena
2. Whispering woods
3. Shattered chains
4. Final Sacrifice
All of these were the first ones. you know the promotional cards with the pen on them? the first printing of theese four were where you got them.
too bad I got them too late...
5.The cursed land-never read, will trade for
6.The prodigal sorcerer- ditto
7.Ashes of the sun-ditto
8.Song of time-takes place in the urza/mishra battle, is a good book, To Be contenued, and no contenuation was published
9.And Peace shall sleep-The best one. Follows Reod Dai through the sarpadian(or "fallen") empires and shows the political intregue that took place in the fallen empires. also has a great scene with one of my kin in it. :{ ) a great read
10.Dark Legacy-this book is good, but a little confusing because I'm not familiar with the dark, the setting of this book.

Anthologies
(both of theese are worth a read)
1. TAPistries-the first one, an excellent book.
2. Distant Plains-Another great collection of stories.

Theese books may take a beating by reviewers and/or Inquest, but I have found most of them are EXCELLENT reads, expecially "and peace shall sleep"

sic semper,

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've only read one, Whispering Woods I think, but wasn't "grabbed" by it. It was okay, but something I wouldn't buy. I'm not sure why though... <shrug>.

D

Dune Echo

I really liked Arena. The promo cards for it really fit. As soon as I got the Arena card, I set to kicking my opponent's hind with Thallids and a Thallid Devourer. That ability to sacrifice Saprolings for a temporary Holy Strength is awesome for killing your opponent's creatures while saving yours.

C

Chaos Turtle

I've only read The Brother's War (the first one, I think, of the trilogy?) and I thought it was pretty good.

I've read about half of Mercadian Masques but I've found it very boring and not worth the effort with classes and work taking up so much time...

D

Duel

Both me and my brother bought one of the old books and sent away fro promo cards. I got equinox. Gee. He, on the other hand, got a mana crypt.

Z

Zadok001

Good, Turtle! Keep it that way. The books went kinda downhill from Brother's War on. They aren't awful, but they probably aren't worth the time needed to read them.

*The following statement is where I get flamed. If you don't want to flame me, skip this.*

They kinda reminded me of the whole Wheel of Time thing. Nothing really happens 'til the end, and then you get a big climatic battle to keep you interested in the series.

D

Duel

I don't agree, Zadok. I think the first book was the only decent one. From then on, it was just robert jordan listening to himself talk. And while I normally like that in my authors, he just didn't seem interesting. Well, while I may not have agreed with you, Zadok, all the Wheel of Time fans now have me instead of you at the top of their hit list.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Not really. Us Wheel of Time fans are all a little tired of Jordan not getting on with the story ourselves.

I liked the first 4 books of the series (book 4 was the best :cool: ), and book 6 wasn't god-awful, but the rest are only going to be useful if he ties the whole thing together and ROCKS with the final 2 books.

I haven't read any of the Magic novels, but I do plan to eventually, so, thanks guys, for the excellent advice on which are the best and which are the rest.

TomB
CPA Member

D

Dune Echo

YOU'RE FLAMING ROBERT JORDAN?! WTH! :) I know, I'm getting impatient too. Personally, I think he's the best fantasy writer of all time. The details are great, but not too lengthy. The characters are believable. And Matt Cauthon is the COOLEST battle tactician of all time! I just wish that he'd get on with it! I want to see Rand finally die. And if Jordan cops out on it, I'm gonna be pissed, 'cuz that would be so trite! There's a way out, I know, but it has to happen. It would be so boring if it doesn't.

C

Chaos Turtle

<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Chaos Turtle turns out the lights, shines a flashlight up at his face, and sings in a high-pitched voice, "In the year two-thousand....."</font>

I shall write a fantasy novel series, which will then become your favorite!

Well, maybe a bit later than 2000.... ;)

Z

Zadok001

Sorry Dune. Yeah, I'm flaming Jordan, but I can't claim to have good reason. I never even got to the end of book two. So my rants can be ignored on that topic, I don't really have backup. Just my personal preference towards shorter books, a'la Great Gatsby, Dragonlance, etc...

And just out of morbid curiousity... What's that singing reference to, Turtle? :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
It's possible is was an MST3K thing -- I never saw it -- but I KNOW Conan O'Brian has kept on doing it -- even in 2000. :)

C

Chaos Turtle

If it was on MST3K, I never saw it. I got it from Conan O'Brian. I didn't know he did it more than once...