Do away with the Reprint Policy?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Dune Echo

This has been a hot topic of discussion for me today, so I thought I'd get everyone's thoughts on the issue too. I'm not talking about the P10 here, I'm talking about the Reprint Policy. CHA1N5 started a discussion on BDominaria that I thought everyone might want to take a look at as well.

http://www.bdominia.com/discus/messages/9/22772.shtml?1011126509

I personally wish to see it done away with. Call me crazy, but I want to see Eron the Relentless reprinted.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Seems they're mostly talking about the P9 but...

I think it's a hard call. In theory I would like see cards reprinted, but everyone knows a lot of cards just didn't get played, like Fire Sprites or something. Thus, you have to determine the cards that would get played and then see if that's going to unbalance anything.

I think WOTC has generally done a good job from 4th on not to print "broken" cards and thus they're pretty much okay (any card since then that has been put on a banned or restricted list in its format needs to be looked at closely, obviously). Some cards from older sets are obviously not okay because WOTC was still learning.

But being a "casual" player myself, where I would like to at least have the chance to see if a card sucks, would like most cards reprinted (Sorrow's Path, here I come! :) )

D

Dune Echo

Yeah, for the most part, they are talking about the P-whatever. I figured that most people there own the P10 already or part of it. I'm figuring that since most of us are casual players, you won't own any or all of them and I wanted to see what the thoughts over here are.

My main question is: Are those without just in favor of reprints because they're without and vice versa? Is it those with against those without?

If it is, then there is a far greater number of those without and that seems to me that WotC is catering to the people with a bigger pocketbook or got into the game early.

E

Evan_Mann

I've always been in favor of printing "tournament sets" so that newer players can play in Vintage formats and in Extended.

Evevtually, the last Scrubland will crumble to dust, and the DCI will have to rotate Duel Lands out of Extended because there won't be anymore.

When was the last time you saw a minty-fresh Duel for sale?

Same goes for the old power cards.

I've always thought that this would be a great way to increase interest in the older formats, and since Extended is a huge part of the Pro circit and it's qualifiers, it would probably increase attendence there.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, I think it depends on how playable the card is. Even if you're casual, how many of the older cards are you really going to put in decks? How many people play with Fallen Empires or Homeland cards outside of theme/creature decks? I think for the most part, a person can just buy/trade for them rather than having WOTC reprint a slew of cards.

And I started with Revised, so I have hardly any of the first 4 expansions.

T

The Rock

Reprinting the power 9 wont happen.

A better way to do it would for individual tournament organisers to say that they accept Proxied versions of the hard to get cards.

They wont reprint the old cards, asking if they should or not is a bit like discussing if banks should give out free money. People would like them to, but they arent about to start.

Z

Zadok001

I would like to see the reprint policy done away with, in a special manner. Cards reprinted from ancient sets that would clearly be overpowered in Type 2 and Extended would not be legal in those formats. I don't want to see everything turn into Type 1, danke very much. :)

A

Apollo

I don't want to see the Power 9/10 reprinted, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the other stuff. If it's reasonable balanced based on the power of modern sets, then it can be reprinted.

H

Hetemti

EvanMann: I got a damn-near-perfect Volcanic Island for $10. They exist, but are very hard to locate.

C

Captain Caveman

I think they should reprint some cards.

Type II need some staples:

IBC Dual & Pain lands
Pillage
Creeping Mold

& others.............

If they reprint anything like the Power 9(10 whatever) it should
be in a non-tournament legal set. Something along the lines of
a Chronicles II, III and IV and market it as a casual set, that is
_not_tournament legal. But I would much rather see the Power9
done away with and the Chronicles sets be good cards and a few
new cards focused on Casual & MP.

Ok, I'm done rambling on now. No more promotion of a casual set!

M

Mr_Pestilence

Yes, do away with the reprint policy.

As an alternative, start an exchange program, whereby the total number of "restricted" cards would not increase, but those of us with less than perfect dual-lands, etc., would be able to obtain mint copies, while the "collectors" wouldn't lose any value. In fact, it may increase their cards' value, since the total pool of the original cards would shrink.

I really don't have a problem with the power 9 being restricted, since those cards generally belong in esoteric, tournament-level decks.

However, dual-lands are an integral part of casual play and extended tournaments. Mint copies are available, but most people would rather not cash in their inheritance just to be on a level playing field with the owners of restricted power cards.

P

Preacher

Definately do away with the reprint policy. I own P9, I own duals and I own a lot of the other expensive toys, and I want to play against some real competition in this Type 2 infested world :)

I'd just make sure that they are easily distinguished from the original versions. I don't want a black-bordered Ninth Edition Mox Ruby with the same art ;)

P

Preacher

Actually I'm not a new member, I registered just after CPA was formed. I forgot it for a long time.. until I noticed I was on the member list ;)

I still wonder why it shows I registered in 1969 though.. Not that it bothers me, it was a great year

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Originally posted by Preacher
I still wonder why it shows I registered in 1969 though.. Not that it bothers me, it was a great year
You registered after Y2K, but before the time I fixed the Y2K issue in the UBB. At least I think :)

P

Preacher

Indeed, being a programmer I can understand what could cause such behavior. Can I keep it? :)