DnD gets bad press

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wow, that is truly stupid.
Change the D&D references to David Koresh or Jim Jones and it is eerily realistic except that they wouldn't try to "save" those people, they'd support them.

I really like the DVD's for $20 each or the book that you can use to insult and demean Muslims..... "Jesus, Mohammad and I".
Really, haven't they heard of the old and new testament?

T

train

Saw that previously and wonder why they just can't understand that though their characters are in game - they can return to it later on...

Hopefully the kids will not remain with them even if legal action foregoes punishment...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
On another note, that first link is on Kuro5hin. I don't think I'd seen that name in years. Are they still going strong?

N

Nightstalkers

This and the current pope are the reasons why I hate today's Christianity. Fast forward ahead forty years and it's all good.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ok, now I really find this crap offesive. They are telling bald-faced lies to get people to take up their cause. THERE IS NO MAGIC. You can't cast spells on people, you can connive and coerce and delude people to make them act in certain ways, but you can't "cast a spell" on them.
I really detest the twisting of religion to further personal or group gain. These people are just another cult of tools for the devil or devilish machinations.

Ransac, please destroy these types of idiots......

The rant has just begun....

B

BigBlue

Anything to create a panic in their flock to make them more fanatical.

The scary thing is I've seen these pamphlets laying around town, because people buy them and hand them out/leave them lying around.

We had one person in our branch trying to hand them out, and got very upset when we asked her to leave. You know, because it's anti-god to disallow pestering other people in your business.

Killer Joe

Well, there is such a thing as "Freedom of Speech" however I just wish it had a filter for the benign crap that goes on out there... :rolleyes:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
There should also be a "Freedom from dumb speech" or the "Freedom not to have to listen to drivel"...

N

Nightstalkers

Mooseman said:
Ok, now I really find this crap offesive. They are telling bald-faced lies to get people to take up their cause. THERE IS NO MAGIC. You can't cast spells on people, you can connive and coerce and delude people to make them act in certain ways, but you can't "cast a spell" on them.
I really detest the twisting of religion to further personal or group gain. These people are just another cult of tools for the devil or devilish machinations.
How about we campaign against christianity using the same tactics? We'll say that this emo character called "jesus" came out of hiding just to kill himself. His followers hid the fact that he was sleeping with a hooker...

Oh, and we'll throw in the tasty fact that our god doesn't save us from the "heathen" followers of other gods.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Nightstalkers said:
How about we campaign against christianity using the same tactics? We'll say that this emo character called "jesus" came out of hiding just to kill himself. His followers hid the fact that he was sleeping with a hooker...

Oh, and we'll throw in the tasty fact that our god doesn't save us from the "heathen" followers of other gods.
Fall to their level? I think not.

D

DarthFerret

This is actually kind of a good thing that this came out. If you take this story to your average person, they would instantly know that this was written my fanaticle christians with very little sense of reality.

On the other hand, there have been D&D players that also have a fanatical viewpoint with very little sense of reality.

What do we really learn from this? That some people will be very fantatical about dang near anything that exists.

I personally, am a christian (if y'all did not know that already), and I am also a D&D player. I have a group that gets together every friday night (yes tonight too) and plays. I also run the Video department at my chruch on Sunday. Hmm....am I really confused? Am I going to hell because I play D&D? Am I a traitor to gamers because I go to church and believe in God? Or am I just the ultimate Oxy-moron?

Let's just realize that some people are going to go to the extreem no matter what the cause. (Just look at politics today....)

This is DarthFerret, the evil church-going D&D player, signing off.......

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
DarthFerret said:
Or am I just the ultimate Oxy-moron?
You are more like the norm for most role-players..... The DM of most of my games is an Elder in the local Morman church......
Yes, there are idiots who need to escape reality and embrace some fantasy world, but those people would exist independent of D&D or religion and find something else to twist and subvert.

N

Nightstalkers

Mooseman said:
The DM of most of my games is an Elder in the local Morman church......
And the lulz just continue...

That mormon religion is the wackiest cult I have seen yet.

T

train

I've played many a game, including D&D, and tecah Sunday school to our K-2nd graders (gotta start them young you know :p) and there is nothing more to it than game in my view - so I don't even have an inkling of it interfering with my beliefs... or teaching them...

Freedom of Speech <> Freedom to be Heard