Decimate

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Killer Joe, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

I thought I had it right the first time, I just mis-read the extra clarification :(

As for Pringles; did you know that they're really made of mashed potato flakes? "American Eats" on the History Channel!
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Hey, everyone remember this? I just got an official answer from Zoe. She's not sure yet and she's going to pass it up to the Rules team, but she prefers that you would only need to regenerate once.

(- Steve -)
  3. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

And who is Zoe?

BTW - I think this is a good threasd and discussion of rules. It makes more of us aware of how to apply the rules to game states. Anytime I can learn more, is time well spent.
  4. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Zoe Stephenson is the current NetRep.

(- Steve -)
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

What's a NetRep?
    I am not trying to be annoying, but I really don't know......
  6. kriz_riktr Member

Terror
    1B
    Instant
    Destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature. It can't be regenerated.
  7. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Whatever.

(- Steve -)
  8. Killer Joe Active Member

Thanks Chris, we all knew what he meant. :)
  9. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Anybody discover the correct ruling?
  10. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

As far as I know, TPTB at the Rules Team haven't made a decision. At least I haven't read anything official on this issue yet. If it were to come up in a tournament, I would be comfortable ruling that you only need to regenerate once.

(- Steve -)
  11. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Yeah, it's a comfortable ruling that it regens once... Mainly because it happens once if you're targetting it with one spell. Then again, if you stacked a Decimate targetting a land/creature (Spawning Pool anyone?) and tossed a Krovikan Rot onto the stack targetting it... you'd only have to regen twice...

Your Rot would kill the pool and it'd cry out to be regenerated ("oh please master, you liked skinny dipping!"), and then the decimate would come in and whack it with the death effect and your creature would regen once to the one spell resolving to kill it.
  12. Limited Yes, but we won't care

I still think you'd have to regenerate twice, because regeneration is a replacement for the next time its destroyed; not a replacement for the next spell/effect that might destroy this card any number of times...

but, still not sure :(
  13. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

He did say that it would need two regen's.... Aren't Decimate and Rot two different spells/effects?
  14. Limited Yes, but we won't care

They are, but I think that in NS' example you'd need to regenerate three times: once for the rot and twice for the Decimate (once for the destroy target land and once for the destroy target creature).

The original question was would happen if Decimate targetted the same permanent multiple times. I don't reallly know what NS was trying to achieve by adding the Rot to the example :confused:
  15. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Me neither. But I am fairly sure that you only need to regen once from the Decimate. When it resolves, it resolves all at once, not one destroy at a time, thus the regen only has to replace it once.
    But, I'll bet there is some obcure game mechanic that I missed or an update..... :(
  16. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

As far as I know, there isn't anything official yet. I'm asking if there's an update on the newsgroup now.

(- Steve -)
  17. orgg Administrator

What I would rule is that a spell is performed sequentially.

Thus, "Destroy target Creature, target land, and target artifact" targetting an activated Mishra's Factory assembly worker would require three regeneration shields to live through it. Effect one: DESTROY! (one Regeneration shield). Effect two: DESTROY! (two Regen shields) Effect three: DESTROY! (three regeneration shields).

That's how I'd rule it. I'm enjoying this discussion.