Decimate

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Killer Joe, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

2. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

3. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Yes.

And technically you can pick off two artifact creatures because they are both artifacts and creatures. You can also pick off two creatures if one happens to be an animated land as well.
  4. Killer Joe Active Member

I reworded the question as you were replying, sorry. :(

read it again.
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

"Destroy target artifact, target creature, target enchantment, and target land."

There are 4 targets needed. Name the four targets.
    Can a spell target the same target more than once?
  6. turgy22 Nothing Special

----------------------------------

-From Odyssey Frequently Asked Questions by Compiled by Paul Barclay, David DeLaney, and Jeff Jordan, Saturday, May 17, 2003:

Decimate
    Sorcery
    Destroy target artifact, target creature, target enchantment, and target land.

You can't play this spell without four legal targets, and all the targets must be different permanents.

----------------------------------

Tag Guard
  7. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Actually, this has just recently changed.

409.1c If the spell or ability requires any targets, the player first announces how many targets he or she will choose (if the spell or ability has a variable number of targets), then announces the targets themselves. A player can't play a spell or ability unless he or she chooses the required number of legal targets. The same target can't be chosen multiple times for any one instance of the word "target" on the spell or ability. If the spell or ability uses the word "target" in multiple places, the same object, player, or zone can be chosen once for each instance of the word "target" (as long as it fits the targeting criteria).
    Example: If an ability reads "Tap two target creatures," then the same target can't be chosen twice; the ability requires two different legal targets. An ability that reads "Destroy target artifact and target land," however, can target the same artifact land twice because it uses the word "target" in multiple places.

Because of the new bolded text, you may now choose the Ancient Den as your target for "target artifact" and "target land", the Alpha Myr for "target creature", and the Propaganda for "target enchantment". This is because Decimate uses "target" four times.

(- Steve -)
  8. turgy22 Nothing Special

Stupid rules changes.

Tag Guard
  9. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

10. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Go go gadgetruleschanges. The question that I'm sure you're all curious about is being posted on the newsgroup as we speak.

(- Steve -)
  11. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Where do I find this newsgroup?
  12. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

It's rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules. Go out and get your favorite newsreader and enjoy.

(- Steve -)
  13. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Thanks, oh great jiggly one.
  14. Killer Joe Active Member

I got this one wrong, too. Had I recently read the "up-to-the-second" secret rules forum of Wiz Co. I'd've gotten it right on a test :(

You can target those permanants more than once thereby fullfilling the requirements of the spell.

Heck, if there was a permanant that was; a land and an artifact and a creature AND an enchantment all in one then you could use Decimate to destroy it. :)
  15. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Oh yeah! Decimate would TOTALLY destroy a land-artifact-creature-enchantment card :D
  16. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

I just got a somewhat-official answer. It was done so that you could, for example, deal 4 damage to a creature with a Glacial Ray spliced onto a Glacial Ray. The consequences that this had for cards like Decimate was considered acceptable to TPTB.

(- Steve -)
  17. Killer Joe Active Member

A different or same target for each instance of the word "Target"?

409.1c If the spell or ability requires any targets, the player first announces how many targets he or she will choose (if the spell or ability has a variable number of targets), then announces the targets themselves. A player can’t play a spell or ability unless he or she chooses the required number of legal targets. The same target can’t be chosen multiple times for any one instance of the word "target" on the spell or ability. If the spell or ability uses the word "target" in multiple places, the same object, player, or zone can be chosen once for each instance of the word "target" (as long as it fits the targeting criteria).
    Example: If an ability reads "Tap two target creatures," then the same target can’t be chosen twice; the ability requires two different legal targets. An ability that reads "Destroy target artifact and target land," however, can target the same artifact land twice because it uses the word "target" in multiple places.

TPTB = The Powers That Be? :)
  18. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Right. As you know, when you splice a card, it adds the text of the spliced card to the original spell. So, when you splice a Glacial Ray onto a Glacial Ray, you get a spell that reads "Glacial Ray deals 2 damage to target creature or player. Glacial Ray deals 2 damage to target creature or player." This is considered to be one spell with two targets. By the old rules, you therefore could not choose the same creature for both Glacial Rays. Now you can, because the super-Glacial Ray uses the word target two different times.

And yes, TPTB = The Powers That Be.

(- Steve -)
  19. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Watch it, you might make me build a deck that attempts to create something just so that I can kill it with decimate.

And yeah, I may not be a rules lawyer but I try to learn stuff about magic before the local judges.
  20. BigBlue Magic Jones

Now.... Let's say that land-artifact-creature-enchantment has regeneration... You would have to regenerate it four times, right? Or in the case of targeting an artifact creature as both the artifact and as the creature you'd have to regenerate twice...

Go Go Gadget Rules changes create more confusion....