Decimate and a "scenario"

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by kinghink, Dec 17, 2001.

1. kinghink New Member

Good day gentlemen (are there ladies here?... just curious...),

Anyways, I was always under the impression that Decimate had to have all 4 targets for the spell to resolve? Or do all 4 have to be in play as the spell is being cast for the spell to resolve (sacking a creature/land/enchantment/artifact as the spell is being cast would not be a measure of prevention)?

If that's the case (which was stated in a previous thread) then I'm adding two cards to my RG deck :)

Anyways, the scenario:

Opponent: has Pestilence, no creatures
    Myself: has a Dragon Mask (targ. creat. you control gets +2/+2 until e.o.t.. If still in play, return to owners hand), and any creature (it doesn't matter).

Pestilence states that if there are no creatures in play at end of turn, bury pestilence. If I were to Dragon Mask my creature and it returns to my hand at end of turn, would Pestilence be buried?

Essentially, who's "end of turn" phase finishes first?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Decimate needs four targets to be cast but if some disappear by the time it resolves, it'll still make do with what it has left.

The way triggered effects work is that the Active player's (AP) go on first and then the opponent's. But in this case, it doesn't matter because there's a creature At End Of Turn

Since there's a creature, Pestilence doesn't trigger, so it doesn't matter if you activate Dragon Mask.

If there ISN'T a creature in play, Pestilence triggers but if you bring a creature into play via a fast effect, the condition will not be met so it'll stay in play and not be sacrificed.
  3. EricBess Active Member

Right. Basically, a cards that says, "At the beginning of <foo> step, IF..." is a conditional trigger. The "if" is a keyword here. Basically, if that condition is not true at the appropriate time, the ability will not even trigger. The condition must also be true on resolution, BTW, if it were to trigger. So, if I put Pestilence on the stack with no creatures in play and then cast Simian Grunts, Pestilence would stick around.