Death Pits of Rath

M

Mikeymike

I just came across one in my collection, forgot about this card:

Black
Enchantment
3BB TE(R)
(TE+errata): Whenever a creature is dealt damage, destroy it. It can't be regenerated. [Oracle 1999/05/01]

This and Goblin Sharpshooter are quite nice together, as are standard red sweepers (Starstorm and the like)

If you were to build a deck with this card (and Sharpshooter, making it B/R), what would you use as the main kill mechanism? Some ideas I had..
Standard burn
X spell burn
Pro-red creatures with red burn
Pro-black with Pestilence effects
Dingus Staff/Varchild's War-Riders (would be nice, but I've done this before w/o the Death Pits)

What do you think?

Ferret

Staff member
Aether Flash...the perfect card to go w/ it - no creatures can come into play...

-Ferret

"...except for that one guy from MM that doesn't take damage..."

K

Killerbob

I play death pits with death spark -works nice, and is an ok excuse to play with death spark.
There are many uses for death pits. Sharpshooter, Pestilence and Aether flash are very good ideas. But I think the problem is, that its risky to base a deck on a 5cc card.

Ferret

Staff member
Don't base the deck around it...just have fun knowing that it's in the deck... no casual deck should rely on getting a combo into play

-Ferret

"...you could have fun w/ Opulescence as well if it's in play..."

J

Jigglypuff

I love having dumb combos in my decks. Or as my friends would say, I like having synergy in my decks. You see, they like to define "combo" as something you do that wins the game as soon as you do it and they define "synergy" as two or more cards that work well together. But I'm getting off the subject.

As for Death Pits of Rath, I used to use a little card called Ghostly Flame with my Aether Flashes:

Ghostly Flame
{B}{R}
Enchantment
Black and/or red permanents and spells are colorless sources of damage.

Suddenly, not even their pro-red critters are safe from the Flash. And you can always use Flaring Pain if Cho-Manno, Revolutionary is popular with your friends.

(- Steve -)

Ferret

Staff member
Toss in Humility for fun...another way to get around Cho Manno...and everything else...Living Plane, Titania's Song, and other silliness could lead to the most boring game ever! :D

-Ferret

"...I'd love to do something...I really would..."

M

Mikeymike

Toss in Humility for fun...another way to get around Cho Manno...and everything else...Living Plane, Titania's Song, and other silliness could lead to the most boring game ever!
Heheheh.

While this would be quite entertaining, I have a feeling a deck like that would get me "the look" from a few members of my group.

But I think the problem is, that its risky to base a deck on a 5cc card.
But Bob, that's the whole point! If someone loses to a 5CC enchantment they can't really complain about it - especially one that doesn't just end the game.

More replies to come later, gotta go to bed.

K

Killerbob

But Bob, that's the whole point! If someone loses to a 5CC enchantment they can't really complain about it - especially one that doesn't just end the game.
yes, thats right.

Another thought on death pits: It works also well with any first striker. Or with Raths edge (Rath theme!).

M

Mikeymike

Ooo, first-strikers! I like that.

I was also thinking about running bullwhip as well for colorless ping.

I'm some time away from this deck though, I've only got 1 Pit and they're not exactly showing up in everyone's trade binder right now.

T

train

If nothing else, i can trade for them tomorrow night...;)

I did just trade for a complete Chronicles set... now I have Chronicles rares(U1) to add to the trade binder...

N

Nightstalkers

why not use darts and the scepter to keep other critters off the board instead of the flash? it only makes sense

M

Mr USA

MikeyMike, you and your Sharpshooter infatuation. You've been raving about this card recently. Good grief, I'm going to have to construct an anti-Sharpshooter deck.

E

EricBess

I wish I could remember the name of it, but there is a red creature that you can tap to deal damage to all creatures in play and it has pro:Red. That would be an ideal kill card with Death Pits.

M

Mr USA

You're thinking of Subterranean Spirit (Mirage). It taps to deal 1 dmg to all non-flying critters.

Another possibility would be Fire Ants. But they would kill themselves off.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Mr USA
MikeyMike, you and your Sharpshooter infatuation. You've been raving about this card recently. Good grief, I'm going to have to construct an anti-Sharpshooter deck.
I hear squirrels are pretty good against the Sharpshooter, why don't you try them against him? :p

You cannot stop the Goblin Sharpshooter, you can only hope to contain him.

EB, nice call on Subterranean Spirit. And Nightstalkers, I would put the Rod of Ruin in (I think that's the 'scepter' you're talking about) instead of the Bullwhip, good call.