Death from Above

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

I have been playing magic for quite some time now. I have been ripped off and ripped off a few people. I have had a somewhat successful magic career. But as of late I have realized magic is more about who has the money to buy the really new cards and stay with the times. I refused to allow myself to play a game like that, so I decided that I wouldn't play anything past prophecy. True this is very challenging with all the super powerful new abilities and how the new rules screw over some good old decks and errata's on some nice cards turn them into total crap. It is becoming harder and harder to play the game well like this. A friend of mine, who also has decided to play this way, and I have had to basically make the best old decks that have been banned and restricted so we can't play in any tournament but type fun, thus forcing us to become casual players mostly, which I have more fun as. But lately I have realized how much money I have blown over the years, and how little I have to show for it. I remember when I first joined the game and I didn't have to worry about all these super powerful cards that everybody had. It was a lot of fun. So I came to the decision to quit the game, not playing it, but in making my own decks and trading and buying crap. I decided I would keep all my decks but sell everything else. But my decks weren't that good, and that isn't my style just to quietly leave. So I decided to go out with style by building one bad mamma jamma of a deck, Mask Nought. True it costs so much money, but I envision myself in like four years seeing some new players playing and commenting about how I used to play and still have a deck, but I don't really remember how to play and I wasn't very good, stuff that makes them think I am just a scrub player, then I spank 'em with it. I am doing the traditional suicide black with the combo, and not the blue black version. Here is what I have so far:
DEATH FROM ABOVE
Phyrexian Dreadnought x4
Illusionary Mask x4
Phyrexian Negator x 3
Hypnotic Specter x 3
Duress x4
Hymh to tourach x4
Unmask x4
Necropotence x4
Demonic Tutor x2
Demonic Consultation x2
Vampiric Tutor x2
Sink Hole x2
Dark Ritual x4

Strip Mine x4
Peat Bog x2
Swamp x12

I think it is pretty solid. Notice you can't play this deck as a combo deck. It doesn't work. You have to play it aggro-control. I am looking for comments on how well it should play. I have already gotten everything but 2 masks and 2 Sink holes. So far it is amazing. Oh yeah, if you do make a suggestion to what I add, please make sure it isn't younger than prophecy, otherwise it is a waste of your time to think of it and write it down, and a waste of my time to read it. Nothing against y'all, but I will not play with them.

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Originally posted by Oversoul
What happened to the snow-covered swamps?
yeah whatever, some of the swamps are snow covered swamps. Do you want me to list the foregin cards too?

Ok just for my sanctity of mind let me explain how the combo works just so no new players ask me blah blah blah. You play illusionary mask. With it you can play a creature face down with a "mask counter" on it for the creatures casting cost or more to disguise its true casting cost so people go, "I am so confused. He just payed eleven mana, it must be a Polar Kraken". The face down creature pretty much counts as a token, it is colourless, but it still counts as a card, it is a 0/1 with no abilities. At any time, as an ability of the mask not the creature, you can remove the token from the creature and reveal what it really is. Since the creature was already in play it by passes all when it comes into play abilities, thus allowing you to play dreadnought for one mana with no draw back. Mask itself cost two mana so potentially this combo could be played first turn with a ritual. The problem it runs into is creature destruction, return, and artifact destruction. So that is why I put it in a suicide black deck so I can make them discard all this crap that could screw me over. The negators are good also in this deck since you can play it without having to worry about its huge drawback until you want to, if at all. Basically the idea is to gain an advantage by making them discard their good stuff, and limiting their lands, then playing either the nought and/or the Negator and killing them. It is incredibly aggressive, and I repeat should not be played in the manner of trying to get the combo out because that makes you way too vuenerable to everything.

R

Reverend Love

Mask-Naught...it's been around for a couple years now at the least. I believe The Mana Drain has pretty much covered all there is for this particular deck.

T

train

poorly-cooked, and under-cooked are 2 different things..

this would be over-cooked...

As for everything to be covered on it - I don't think so - My twist on it would be something like Fling... or altar of dementia haunting echoes...

As for other tidbits on it - I think the illusionary mask, enduring renewal, ashnod's altar is great recursion for a tendrils of agony...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

lol, you guys are trying to make it a combo deck. The combo is fine. The combo in the deck is more than enough to kill them. I don't need to splash in any other colours I don't think, or new cards that over complicate things. Over done, undercooked? What are you talking about? Do you mean it is too much? Because really it isn't. This beats most decks I play against, even though all I have in my current version is two Masks. As far as the Mana drain goes, they have like one decklist, and refer to it a lot, but never really deal with it too much. Star city games had a good article on it. I have looked around a lot for it but I only get a lot of references to it, never any actual hardcore facts on it. Bits and pieces of Decklists here and there full of the power nine isn't too helpful to me. But thanks for the advice anyways.

T

train

I was just mentioning other deck ideas because someone had mentioned it wsa over-done...

I think there's always room for improvement!...;)

Or new ideas!...:cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Like how I had to convince him with Negator. Well, I guess that's not fair, being that I had known about the errata on Mask before I suggested it...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Yeah ok the mana drain had an article on it too, but it wasn't too informative or helpful to me at this point.

Originally posted by Oversoul
Like how I had to convince him with Negator. Well, I guess that's not fair, being that I had known about the errata on Mask before I suggested it...
Yeah that isn't fair. Also I didn't know how the deck ran either when I came up with the original decklist.
Also that thing about tendrils. I kind of asked you not to suggest post prophecy cards but whatever at least you tried. Thanks anyways.

T

train

Man...

reading the entire post is difficult these days...

sorry for the tendrils bit...

either way - to make up for it - megrim maybe...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Megrim works but was taken out for Sinkholes, I think it was...

Still one of the cards that could definitely be used though...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Originally posted by train
Man...

reading the entire post is difficult these days...

sorry for the tendrils bit...

either way - to make up for it - megrim maybe...;)
No need to apologize. It is all in the past.

M

Master Shake

The deck is called aggro-combo... what are you talking about that you can not play it as a combo? Your deck does not work without the combo.

Negator is a good choice; if you do not want your Mask to stay in play, it also seems like you are not running enough creatures.

What I mean to say is that the concept is solid, but vastly over done. You lose to Swords and Disenchant and beat sligh. Running multiple copies of restricted cards probably helps it go off.

In other words, why did you post this? It is impossibe to judge, because you play in a small group, you basicly tell anyone who comments that they do not know the deck, and you are using multiple copies of restricted cards. If that is the format you play in, I have the perfect deck:

Long.dec

Mana Sources:

3 Chromatic Sphere
20 Moxen
4 Black Lotus
4 Tolarian Academy

Spells

4 Duress
4 Burning Wish
4 Ancestral Recall
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Timetwister
4 Mind's Desire
2 Yawgmoth's Bargain
2 Memory Jar
1 Yawgmoth's Will

1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Diminishing Returns
4 Xantid Swarm
1 Balance
1 Primitive Justice
1 Simplify
1 Hull Breach
1 Regrowth
1 Vindicate
2 Seal of Cleansing

Now that we do not have restrictions, the deck goes off first turn every game. A typical hand can go: Lotus, Sapphire, Pearl, Recall, Lotus, Duress, Memory Jar, Emerald, Emerald, Pearl, Jet, Tolarian Academy, Duress, Mind's Disire for 13, Tutor, Recall, Tutor, Memory Jar, Jet, Pearl, Sapphire, Ruby, Sphere, Bargin, lotus, lotus, Mind's Disire for 25, Timetwister, Pearl, Emerald, Jet, Sapphire, Ruby, Sphere, Ruby, Jet, Emerald, Recall, Duress, Duress, Timetwister, lotus, recall, sphere, lotus, duress, duress, sphere, tutor, recall, sphere, recall, Duress, memory jar, tutor, lotus, recall, lotus, tutor, lotus, timetiwster, lotus, recall, recall, lotus, lotus, recall, recall, duress, duress, duress, duress, timetiwster, lotus, lotus, lotus, mind's desire for 71. Tutor, lotus, duress, duress, duress, duress, tutor, mind's desire for 78, Mind's Desire for 79, Yawgmoth;s Will. Lotus, Lotus, Lotus, Lotus, Duress, Duress, Duress, Duress, Mind's Desire for 89, Mind's Desire for 90, Burning Wish for Tendrils, Burning wish for Vindicate, Vindicate, Tendrils for 94

You gain 188, your opponent losses 188. Good Game.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
20 Moxen?

What is it exactly that from looking at his decklist makes you think he has even one? The format is called casual. Sorry if you've never heard of it. It goes something like this though, you can use cards from Magic: the Gathering because they were meant to be played. It's not difficult to make a decklist that goes off first turn most games, but building that deck would be sort of tough.

The idea is that no one tries to do that, even though 20 moxen might be fun. Decks that can have four copies of Academy, or Necro, or Dream Halls, or Jar, or Fork, or Fastbond, or Sol Ring, or Regrowth, or whatever can also be interesting. Just because they're restricted for Type I tournament play doesn't mean you can't play against people with it.

If I sit down and play with some new opponent for fun, and he/she decides I'm cheating because I have three Balances in my deck and it's restricted, oh well. That's not my problem. Sure, no one wants to play against 20 moxen, but most people also don't play with 20 moxen, in fact, I've never seen anyone do it. What if I decide you're cheating when you play even one mox, because, after all it is banned in Type 1.5? That wouldn't make any sense either.

The fact that casual play is not regulated might cause problems every once in a while, but oh well. It doesn't have to be perfect. The idea is that we're playing the game for fun. I thought that was why most people played. If someone wants to an infinite squirrel deck in a multiplayer game, I'm not going to have a problem with four Earthcrafts. I'd encourage them, actually. So it's restricted, this isn't a tournament we're in.

Okay, so if he had said "My Type I deck" or something, then commenting on some cards being restricted would be a good idea, certainly. He said no such thing. He wanted suggestions or comments for a casual deck. Something like...

"You lose to Swords and Disenchant and beat sligh."

...is a great example. But the following...

"In other words, why did you post this? It is impossibe to judge, because you play in a small group, you basicly tell anyone who comments that they do not know the deck, and you are using multiple copies of restricted cards. If that is the format you play in, I have the perfect deck..."

...is not even close. But if you have something against casual play, then, as you so eloquently put it, "why did you post this?"

Good decklist though, even if it's not a Mask deck at all...