Dealing with Iridescent Angel

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any way of getting rid of it besides Wrath of God or Jokulhaups? And the very unlikely Diabolic Edict?

N

Notepad

If you can get artifact kill, or enough land damage, then you can certainly kill it that way.

Other than that, world effects or "choose sacrifice" are the only ways.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I meant when it was already out (otherwise you could include countering with land destruction, unless you were thinking of a different tack).

For some reason I didn't think of artifact kill though. That opens up some more possibilities... thanks.

R

rkoelsch

No I think Sefro was thinking of Mishra Factories or Maze of Ith or Nantucko Monastery when he was talking about land damage.

N

NorrYtt

About the only ways I can think of to deal with it in OBC once it's in play is with:

2 Barbarian Rings/Cabal Pit
Chainer's Edict
Innocent Blood
Mutilate
Sandstone Deadfall
Chamber of Manipulation
Patchwork Gnomes + Wonder + Giant Growth
Race!

P

Purple_jester

Given the fact that this is Spidey, I'm sure he's talking about a casual card pool. There are several ways to efficiently get rid of Iridescent Angel. There are also inefficient ways. Let me elaborate.

Efficient Methods:
Diabolic Edict
Innocent Blood
Chainer's Edict
Wrath of God
Mutilate
Nevinyrral's Disk

Semi-Efficient:
Wash Out
Upheaval
Jokulhaups

Inefficient Methods:
Draco
Aladdin's Ring
Masticore
Rocket Launcher
2 Cursed Scrolls working simultaneously
Obliterate
Powder Keg

There are probably others, but these are the ones I can think of right now. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maze of Ith is an okay "stalling" card. The Monastery won't help (I believe) because it becomes a G/W creature.

yeah, this casual. Chamber, Sandstone, Innocent Blood and Mutilate don't ring a bell so I don't think I have them, but I'll check. Nev's Disk is good, I don't know why I didn't think of that before (especially because the Angel is in a deck with a lot of other untargetable creatures).

Thanks!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Also Caustic Tar (which is OBC legal too), or Keldon Necropolis or Rath's Edge (which aren't).

Unfortunately the Urza's Legacy man-lands all become colored creatures, so you can't use them.

R

rkoelsch

how about 4 Grapeshot Catapults or 2 Skull Catapults and 2 orinithopters.

had some fun searching(slow day at work)

4-Caltrops
4-Rod of Ruin
4-Ticking Gnomes

Fodder Cannon and creature
Unerring Sling and 4 power creature
Magma Mine
Snow Fortress
Time Bomb
Torture Chamber
2-Triskelions
Whirling Catapult

this is just the artifacts

I forgot 2 Serrated Arrows
or 2 Biskelions

R

rkoelsch

or how about this Wildfire or Inferno with Ghostly Flame in play.

you can tell I don't feel like working can't ya

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto...

Well, I'm thinking of a black/blue or black/green deck mainly to go anti-threshold (from my thread a couple of weeks ago) so going artifacts would probably be the best for me. The Irisdescent Angel just happens to be in the threshold deck I'm going against.

G

Gerode

Everybody's forgetting Crooked Scales, with it's powerful coin-flip mechanic!

T

theorgg

Ain't it a 4/4? You've got some good accileration in that there deck, rightt?

Well... THIS is my BOOMSTICK!

*theorgg taps a Priest of Tit and a llawnmower, plus a swamp.

BLAAWMO!

S

Sammy Dead-O

I'm with theorgg. Aladdin's Ring can do the trick, especially if you've got mana acceleration, and especially if it's multiplayer, where you'll have more time to set up.

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned Void. It's a pretty stellar card, Iridescent Angel or no. You'd even pick off any Angels that happen to be in his hand.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he's got only one so although the Ring is an option, it's not primarily what I'm looking for. And I'm still not sure whether to go B/G or B/U, so Void is also low on the list. But thanks :)

I went through my black cards last night and found some more options, like Forced March and Extinction (Forced March would also be for his green untargetables like Nimble Mongoose and the Centaur(?) that gains it through threshold. And I also found i do have Innocent Blood.

Speaking of the Ring, that would probably get me killed in my group :rolleyes: I put out a Meekstone last week and "the guy who goes ballistic" in my group immediately perceived that as a threat, despite that he was playing a weenie W/U bird deck with "untaps while attacking" birds like Zephyr Falcon. He just wanted to put his Divine Transformations and Squee's Embrace on any bird he had and my Meekstone would have hindered that.

Never mind that the Meekstone had locked down a thresheld Nikble Mongoose and was preventing the Irisdescent Angel and another Mongoose from attacking from the player who's deck I'm building against...

N

NorrYtt

There are quite a few idiots I've found in multiplayer. Generally, I kill the person with the best board position (factoring cards in hand, mana supply, and graveyard resources). In games where 3 smart people play this way, we had some very close games with board parity and everyone at 3 or less life! The game was so close, my Ernham gave his best creature forest walk but he couldn't attack because he'd have 1 blocker short of winning next turn...it was really good.

Then there are these idiots that swing at me with their Goblins not because I played a fifth turn Deed, but because I have no blockers. Meanwhile, the player on my right has a first turn Negator, some Mercenary guy that got a Delraich into play and he just soft-casted Avatar of Woe. So I die with a reset button on the table so super-aggro man can quickly finish off the newbies. Freakin' stupid newbs!!!

Pernicious Deed kills Iridescent Angel! See? It all flows with the thread :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I managed to get mine in the next game. Because the threshold player killed the ballistic guy quickly in the first game, ballistic guy attacked him all throughout the second game while I stood by (although actually I couldn't do anything, all I had was a Wall of Razors in play but a bunch of burn and land). So when the threshold player got killed, I burned ballistic player's flock of birds and then Capsized with buyback on his only red-producing land. Then I got out a Shivan and Mahamati (not on the same turn) and he conceded (more like threw down his cards :) )

So it wasn't all bad. Still, it gets annoying when you think you're putting out a card that will harm the player with the best board position and help everyone else and "everyone else" doesn't think of it that way and proceeds to kill you off.

I'm playing again tonight although I don't know if ballistic player will be there (and maybe Forest Guy) and I'm trying my anti-threshold deck, so stay tuned :)

M

Mikeymike

You want to see Ballistic Guys head explode? Try doing mass creature stealing.

Cutural Exchange will out right get you all the untargetables your heart desires.

Reins of Power is great combined with something like Altar of Dimensia, Goblin Bombardment, or even the sleeper Dracoplasm.

Thieves Auction combined with Brand...you will most likely get concessions. HAHAHA!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That'll work for one game... :)

Actually, I probably just need to put in Hurricane, as he loves fliers (or at least he's trying a deck with weenies right now).

That second game I described was R/U; it actually has some creature stealing but more permanent, like Control Magic. There is that Ray of whatever that lets me steal for a turn... Dracoplasm is a good idea for it though.

N

Notepad

That'll work for one game...
Absolutely right! I used to have a 40 card deck. Deck list basically:

Clone
Vesuvan Dopplegangar
Control Magic
Island
Sol Ring

That was it. One copy of Vesuvan and the rest many of in order to facilitate a 40 card deck. Worked wonders in multiplayer! I took over and copied all the best stuff. Win one game, and then put an automatic bullseye on me every game after that. So basically, it was an "icebreaker" deck for multiplayer games against folks I've never played against before and had no intention of playing against again.

Quite obviously, I took that deck apart and never used it again.