dead creatures, and their abilities?

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by el_terror, Sep 7, 2000.

1. el_terror New Member

If I have a Mine Bearer(from prophecy), and an opponent player decides to play a point damage of a pyrotechnics(VI) on the Mine Bearer, and soon attack to me, I can already use the ability of the carrier of mines even though it's dead.

My point is, the creatures who have been damaged with a damage equal or superior to their force, only die until the end of the turn?.
  2. Namielus Phrexian Plaguelord

The way that damage is stacked and the wave mine bearer read this is what happens...

Pyrotechnics damage goes on the stack.
    You can respond, But mine bearer reads "attacking" so you have to wait.
    Now this stack resolves and your mine bearer dies, all creatures die at the end of the stack.

So I think your unable to do anything about that pyro.
  3. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

You may only play effects of a creature if it is in play. When Mine Bearer takes one damage, it goes to the graveyard then and there. You can't use it once it dies.
  4. Adso_dMelk Abbot of Wooded Mountains

...I'm confused!!!! :confused:

so, my friend here can't put the Mine Bearer's ability on the stack after I play some one point of direct damage on it??? (or in response to my letal move against the Bearer?)

please zadok001... would you extend your post?
    ... and by
    you mean instantly?
  5. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Yeah, I mean instantly.

There are two possible scenarios here:

1. Let's say you declare your attack, and attack with a big creature. Your opponent controls Mine Bearer. You play Shock, targeting the Mine Bearer. Since there is a legal target for the Mine Bearer's ability, your opponent may play the ability in response to the Shock, killing your attacker. Then Shock attempts to resolve, but finds itself without a legal target (i.e., Mine Bearer is dead), and is countered on resolution.

2. It is your main phase, before you attack. Your opponent controls Mine Bearer. You cast Shock on Mine Bearer. There are no attacking creatures in play, so Mine Bearer's ability has no legal targets, and therefore cannot be played. Shock resolves, and Mine Bearer dies.

You weren't entirely clear in your first post, but I think I understand a bit better... Yes, your friend _can_ play Mine Bearer's ability after you assign some damage to it, or cast Shock at it. However, he must have a legal target to do so. If no one is attacking at the time, he can't target an attacking creature.

Two things must be true for him to use the Mine Bearer: The Mine Bearer must be in play, and there must be a creature attacking.

I know I'm not being perfectly clear here... I'm sorry... Can anyone step in and help me out?
  6. rkoelsch Angel Boy

I understood it. The misunderstanding appears to be when the damage is done.
  7. Adso_dMelk Abbot of Wooded Mountains

that would mean:

we have an stack that resolves on my main phase, and then, we'll have a new stack on my attacking phase. And on that phase there is no Mine Bearer.

I'm alright? :D
  8. el_terror New Member

Once played the damage to the Bearer, before the combat phase, if I have not the way to resist this damage, he dies and he goes to the graveyard, soon the opponent player can enter his attack phase and attack because the Bearer is dead and cannot play his abilities.
  9. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Nailed it, el_terror. :) That's right.

Yeah, that's also essentially (if not totally technically) correct, Adso.
  10. Adso_dMelk Abbot of Wooded Mountains

now we can play...

and... like my good friend, JCRedBerry, always says: Van a morir!!!!! :D