DCI Banned/Restricted List: Extended gets a complete overhaul

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Here

Effective July 1, 2010, Hypergenesis and Sword of the Meek are banned....... as are Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, Champions, Betrayers, Saviors, 9th Edition, Ravnica, Guildpact, Dissension and Coldsnap.....

In an attempt to make Extended accessible to more people, the format will go from a 7-year format to a 4-year format.

Thoughts?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I really don't think that I could care any less about Extended at this point, and changing it doesn't really move me one way or the other.

Illusionary Mask in Legacy, though? Are they insane?

Edit: I can't make any sense of what they did to Legacy here. Not going to post about it until I've had time to consider it. I'm against Mask anyway because it costs a fortune and I like the idea of Legacy being affordable to players that aren't filthy rich. I'm fine with unbanning Grim Monolith. Good call probably. Banning Mystical Tutor makes no sense whatsoever. It's like they picked a random good card and decided to axe it just because they were bored.

M

Modus Pwnens

The change in extended from 7 to 4 years most likely will lead to a new format (Mercadian Masques and onwards from what I've heared). This is because Legacy is getting too popular, leading to really big prices in format staples (duals, forces, etc). Mask might be pricy, but there's nothing suggesting it'll be a Tier 1 strategy, so you don't have to get it if you don't want to. Don't really care one way or another about the monolith. Tutor is most likely because it's too powerful to be played as a 4-off in Ad Nauseum Tendrils and Reanimator..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
New format? At this rate, they'll probably develop a new format every 5 years or so to cover all sorts of players preference... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Alright, I've had time to think about it. Unbanning Grim Monolith is a good call. I don't think the combo with Power Artifact is strong enough to worry about and artifact-heavy decks could use a bit of a boost in Legacy anyway. It's a good card, but not worthy of a ban. I'm hoping it will make Metalworker a little better too.

Modus Pwnens said:
Mask might be pricy, but there's nothing suggesting it'll be a Tier 1 strategy, so you don't have to get it if you don't want to.
Well, Stiflenought is already a great strategy. It's possible that Mask won't be a desireable addition though, although I would think that it will be, and it will join the ranks of Imperial Recruiter, Tabernacle, and other cards that can make for good decks, but that most players simply cannot afford. We already have a playset, though, as Al0ysius built a Masknought deck years ago and apparently still has the Masks.

But it's the Mystical Tutor thing that annoys me about this. And once I get past my personal frustration at having just completed an ANT deck only to have Tutor banned, my thought is that it's still really dumb. Neither ANT nor Reanimator were dominating, and those were the only notable decks that relied on Mystical Tutor. I don't think any players saw this ban coming and it really makes no sense, although it's still not as bad as what the DCI did to Vintage when they banned every blue card ever.