Dawn of the Dead

C

CAMDEX

They did an articel on this in MTG.com, but i still love everything involved with it...

Dawn of the Dead
2BBB
Torment Rare
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, lose 1 life.
During your upkeep, you may take a target
creature card from your graveyard and put
it into play. That creature has haste until
end of turn. Remove it from the game at
the end of your turn.

So of course, there are many T2 options that go great with this:

Anything with a CiP ability (FTK, Ravenous Rats, Avenmancer...)
Uncastable fatties (Draco, Dragon Legends, etc.)

I love it with a multiple card effect:

Dawn of the Dead-Crypt Angel-Lava Zombie to play Zombie, bouncing back the Crypt Angel.... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd guess you'd need some life gain or a CIP life gain in there somewhere (unless that's part of your combo you mentioned)? :)

R

rkoelsch

Life gain wouldn't be important if you only need a couple turns to kill. the combo he mention use dawn of the dead to return crypt angel. Crypt Angel has a CIP effect of return red or blue card to your hand from graveyard. return lava zombie to hand from graveyard. play lava zombie. has CIP effect return red or black creature in play to hand. Use it to return the crypt angel to your hand after attacking. You no longer have the angel in play to sac at EOT.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So who's attacking, the Angel or the Zombie? The Angel's "only" 3/3, so I'm thinking by the time you get this combo set up, it's mid game. So it's probably going to take more than a couple of turns to kill your opponent. The Zombie makes more sense, but it still seems kinda fragile.

What about using Safe Haven with this? :)

E

EricBess

Personally, I think what you need in a deck with Dawn of the Dead is something to sac a creature. Then, get creatures with significant CIP abilities.

As far as saccing a creature goes, one of the best cards to do it would be Animal Boneyard, which is quite splashible and addresses the life issue quite well.

Since you are playing White, Staunch Defenders would also be a good choice for life gain, though a bit less splashible. Still, Zombie Infestation to get the creatures directly into the graveyard makes the double while a bit less important.

D

Dune Echo

There is a creature that combos quite well with Dawn of the Dead and it's in Torment:
Ichorid.

Yeah, it's expensive to cast and hard to get back out of the graveyard. BUT! It sacs itself and it's a 3/1 creature. A repeated 3/1 haste creature for 1 life is good.

Also, combo Zombie Infestation with Dawn of the Dead. Beats aplenty!

M

Mikeymike

This card is the goods. As EricBess pointed out I see it working best with 'sac your creature' cards.

Well the best ones aren't in type 2 anymore (Altar of Dimentia, Goblin Bombardment, etc.), but you've got in Type 2:

Phyrexian Altar
Cabal Patriarch
Fallen Angel
Diabolic Intent
Deadapult
Bloodfire Critters

L

Lotus Mox

you can use sac effects, but you can also simply use creatures which can sac themselves, like Devouring Strossus.

M

Mikeymike

Ugh, Devouring Strossus is just wrong man. A hasted, flying, trampling 9/9. You should feel dirty.