Daunting Defender

T

TheCasualOblivion

Is it me or does that card scream PESTILENCE in a Black Cleric deck. Just enough white for the Daunting Defenders, Doubtless Ones, and Edgewalkers.

N

Nightstalkers

I run'em in my B/W deck.

My B/W deck is a variation of one of the old Urza's set precon decks that uses pestilence and Urza's Armor, Worshop, and protected creatures to bring you victory.

Basically, I run clerics instead of a buncha crap.

Although, there is more than one way to win with clerics now-a-days. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I still have that pre-con, mostly in its original form except I tried adding a couple cards here and there to try to "improve" it :)

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah, that's the one Oversoul.

I just found it all unopened in the back of a drawer and thought to myself "well this is a neat idea..." and started tweaking.

I don't have many clerics... so it's kinda halfa**** done.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I like that deck especially because it was the first to feature the Urza's Armor/Pestilence machine of doom.

T

TheCasualOblivion

here's the deck I built from Daunting Defender + Pestilence:

Creatures: (22)

4 Order of the Ebon Hand
3 Withered Wretch
2 Cabal Archon
2 Rotlung Reanimator
4 Edgewalker
3 Dauntless One
4 Daunting Defender

Spells: (20)

4 Dark Ritual
4 Diabolic Edict
4 Gerrard's Verdict
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Pestilence

Land (19)

8 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Scrubland
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Tainted Field

I like to build combo decks that don't necessarily need the combos if you haven't noticed. I've found this deck is a pile of fun with 4 Hymn and 4 Verdict.

T

TheCasualOblivion

They just don't seem necessary. I like having 18 sources of Black Mana in this deck.

Killer Joe

I thought the Starlit Sanctums were for that "Life Gaining" cleric deck. This deck looks to be different and doesn't seem to support the life gain concept.

With THAT said, I'd put in on or two just for a smidgit of life gain.

T

TheCasualOblivion

The two Cabal Archons in the deck let me sac a cleric for a loss of 2 life for my opponent and +2 life for me. I'd go up to 4 of those before adding any sanctums.

A

Aneximines

Originally posted by Killer Joe
I thought the Starlit Sanctums were for that "Life Gaining" cleric deck. This deck looks to be different and doesn't seem to support the life gain concept.
The deck also runs Swamps, and so can use the life loss part of the Sanctum. You know, swing with a big Doubtless One, then sac it to finish your opopnent off. Or make him lose life for bolting your creature. Creatures are fragile little things, and it's nice to be able to liquidate them for life loss at a moment's notice. (of course, as TheCasualOblivion said, Cabal Archon may be better; it costs more to get into play, but it lets you liquidate as many creatures as you have mana for, and gains you life, to boot)

I

Istanbul

What he said.

Still, hey, it's your deck. I'm just putting ideas out.