DARK RITUAL IS BANNED!!!!!!!

A

arhar

Dark Ritual is banned in extended...

Let's see.... Dark Ritual is gone.... So I'm guessing, soon we'll see a new card that will follow the Bolt ==> Shock way:

Pale Ritual B

Mana Source.. oh, wait, its an INSTANT NOW!!!
Add 2 black mana to your mana pool.

Or is the card gonna be called.. shitty ritual? fucking ritual? goddamn ritual? piece-of-flying-shit ritual? I dunno..... SCREW THE TOURNAMENTS!! At least they can't ban anything in casual play.... I'm outta here, i'm going to my multiplayer game.. using a deck with 4 DARK RITUALS!!!!

W

Wizard2000

The fucking ritual? This sounds like something I would really like. Where did you see this card? Oh.. and females are a requirement. ;)

Q

Quill

OK I know I'm not smart..but can someone please tell me exactly what extended means? And if possible what 1.5 is too. Why would cards be banned in only certain categories?
Thanks in advance

Quill

Z

Zadok001

Oh, well. Extended now has Black as Type 2's old Green; the retarded stepbrother of the other four colors. Black is worthless in Extended. :( Another silly move on WotC's part. By banning Ritual, you kill all the decks that play with Necro too. So why the hell didn't they just ban Necro and leave Suicide black alone???

Remember a few months ago, everyone? Ya' know, when all the pros were writing articles about how good Extended was? It had all three major archetypes, Combo, Control, and Beatdown. Combo just went DOOOOOWWWN the hole. And everyone knows beatdown beats most control decks. Wonderful.

"And we'll ban Mana Vault too, just to make it look like we took something from every color!"

Z

Zadok001

Sorry, Quill. You posted as I wrote.

Extended is the format right beyond Type 2. It rotates slower than type 2 (well, NOW it does, it wasn't supposed to), so it includes many more sets. Right now, it has 5th Edition, Ice Age, Alliances, Mirage, Visions, Weatherlight, Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus, Saga, Legacy, Destiny, Masques, and Nemesis (or it will soon).

As for the current banned list, Extended has a LOT of stuff banned, I think. I can name some, but I don't have the whole thing memorized: Dark Ritual, Mana Vault, Time Spiral, Mind Over Matter, every Black deck, Windfall, and Memory Jar. Some of that may not be accurate, but most is... :)

Type 1.5 is a step back from Extended. It inlcudes ALL sets, except Unglued and other non-legal sets. The banned list is simple enough, all cards banned or restricted is type 1 are banned in type 1.5.

"And for my next trick, I'll do my impression of a walking, talking, Magic Encyclopedia."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You know, Zadok, I'm going to disagree with you :) just because I refuse to believe that Trix was the only viable combo deck in Extended. Despite my not playing in the format and not knowing decks, there has to be others (I'll throw out Pros-Bloom and Oath and Rec/Sur as candidates).

D

Dune Echo

--------
Dune Echo

"Because they made broken cards like Tolarian Academy!"

C

Chaos Turtle

Yup. Who wants to the the Rector-Bloom decklist?

Well, too bad, I'm going on the Pro Tour and playing it in a Grand Prix and some PTQs and I don't want my astonishing tech distributed to the masses.

<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Chaos Turtle waits for a reaction...</font>

Okay, just kidding. I have conceived of the deck, but have not built it just yet.

But Spiderman's right (isn't he always? :) ). There are plenty more combo decks that hadn't a prayer in the environment, and they should start popping up sooner or later (later, since the Extended PTQ season is nearly over).

And black weenie has hardly been dealt a Fatal Blow. This Diabolic Edict will only slow down a decktype that is partially responsible for the dearth of white weenie decks (how many times have you been double-Gloomed by the 4th turn.

Necro, too, is alive and well. Banny Hymn to Tourach did not hurt it, and banning Dark Ritual will not hurt it. To paraphrase the old truism, "That which does not kill Necrodecks only makes them stronger."

Watch and see.

B

Baron Sengir

It just sickens me to see WotC ban any card that is a perfect example of what that color is supposed to be good at.

I'm sure they'd ban Erhnam and Lightning Bolt now too if they hadn't solved those problems by deciding to rotate sets.

WotC doesn't understand players at all. It even said in the back of one of their magazines, TopDeck #1 I think (or as I like to call it, Pokemon Monthly) that the more people complain the happier they are. They have no clue. Thank God I play by Type One rules but even those are pissing me off.

I remain
The Baron
"Why the hell is Lotus Petal restricted?!?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
&lt;taking the other side for a moment&gt;

Sometimes, Baron, a color can get TOO good at what it's supposed to do. And people can get used to it. If Ancestral Recall had somehow made it up until now, people would be used to drawing three cards for one and if it was banned now, they'd probably say, well, that's what blue's supposed to be good at. Black still has fast non-perm mana, just as blue can still draw cards.

Dune Echo: Although Lotus Petal works nicely with the Academy, I thought there was some weird combo with Yawgmoth's Will that caused it to be banned. I'll check if no one else knows offhand...

D

Dune Echo

Yeah, you're right. But Tolarian Academy was one of my first Urza's Saga rares and it was the first combo I thought of. It's the combo that's always stuck with me the most.

C

Chaos Turtle

Lotus Petal was supposedly banned because it gave too fast of an early mana advantage, but Yawgmoth's Will probably figured into it.
The freaky Will combo though was (surprise!) with Dark Ritual, causing the Will to be errata'd to remove the cards from the game as a replacement rather than a triggered effect (to prevent the infinite recursion of a Dark Ritual).

B

Baron Sengir

I guess there's really no way out of it, then. As WotC makes more and more cards that give you mana, there are going to be more and more ways to have umpteen dozen mana on the first or second turn.

This is a vicious circle brought on by the game's success. They make quick mana cards, some inventive player is going to find an obscure combo that will destroy an opponent on the second turn and the quick mana cards will have to be banned. They might as well not make any cards like Grim Monolith or Dark Ritual at all.

This isn't WotC's fault, though. Although lately it has appeared they have done a really $hitty job of playtesting it is hard to catch every combo out there. How many people at R&D even thought about High Tide when they made the "free" creatures?

I guess what I'm saying is although banning Dark Ritual makes little sense to me, I will just have to accept it. At the rate this game is going, eventually there will be a killer combo involving any card you like and WotC will have to ban 'em all and start over.

I remain
The Baron
Waiting patiently for the killer Shelkin Brownie combo

W

Wizard2000

I believe the responsibility should rest with the player. What fun is it when you kill your opponent in 3 turns? To me that is incredibly boring and all it will do is piss the others off. Decks like Trix bore me to death. I like to do something with my cards that I paid all this money for! If I don't get to turn 10 I feel like the game was just too short.

I still believe that with power comes responsibility. It should not be WotC's decision on which cards can and cannot be played. The responsiblity should be left to the players. In this world, however, most people are obsessed with winning and money. Trix (and other decks like it) and bannings are always a bad thing for the game. If they want to win in 3 turns then they won't have me as an opponent. I quit going to tournaments a LONG time ago myself and won't go to another one again. :)

D

DeathPitOffering

Im telling you all: wait 5 months! Then type 2 will pretty much always last till turn 2! I cant wait!

B

Baron Sengir

I heartily agree with you, Wizard. I hate decks like Trix. There's nothing wrong with combo decks, though. Heck, I had a pretty cool one that used Recycle and Summer Bloom along with a host of other cards to put all my lands into play, turn them all into 2/2 creatures and attack en masse all in one turn. The difference is that it usually went off on turn 7 or 8 rather that 2 or 3.

The only problem I can see with putting the power of banning or restricting in the hands of the players is that some guy will be getting constantly tooled by Counterspells or something like that. He'll start pitching a fit and eventually get enough people behind him to ban Counterspell. Then what happens when someone decides they don't like Shock or Morphling? As the saying goes, absolute power corrupts. I doubt WotC would like us lunatics in charge of the madhouse. :)

I remain
The Baron
Goin' off the rails on a crazy train

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Baron: I agree with what you said two posts ago. I don't think it's an excuse, but as more and more sets come out it's harder to catch degenerate combos. I think we pretty much agree that Dark Ritual wasn't a big problem around the sets of Revised and Ice Age when there wasn't a lot of good stuff to get out using just it (aside from the Specter) (I thought Erg Raiders/Unholy Strength was the best "common" combo).

However, between you and Wizard, I will disagree in that it is also WOTC's fault for

a) designing the cards
b) fostering an environment that encourages finding the killer combos

Because face it, when you have X amount of money on the line, you want to win as soon as possible, with the best deck. And usually, the best deck is one where the opponent doesn't have a chance of doing anything.

If tourneys were based on voting for the most original deck or fun deck, you can be sure that Turn &lt; 3 kill decks would NOT be high on people's lists.

Q

Quill

Spiderman I think you make a good point. :)People want to win, and the decks like Trix seem to have the best statistical advantage. Your suggestion on awarding the most fun, and original deck seems like a really good one. If the same prize, or even a slightly smaller one, were given out to these decks I think tournament play would really flourish. Is there a way to make this suggestion to someone who can do something about it?

Quill

C

Chaos Turtle

I won a "most creative deck" prize in Arena a long time ago.
Guess what for?
Recurring Nightmare/Palinchron! (pre-errata/banning, of course)
I got an oversized Prosperity...
I played Rec/Sur passionately in those days, and when they errata'd the free critters, I played echo critters; when they banned Recurring Nightmare, I played Oath of Ghouls and Living Death. It was a fun challenge to try to keep a fresh perspective on the constant changes, though I will admit to being annoyed that they came so frequently...

Back to the point of creativity prizes, I hear that Friday Night Magic is doing exactly that, or something like it.
Too bad we don't get FNM in my area! Blah.

Right now we're awarding leftover Arena prizes in drawings and little tournaments. I've been suggestiong a sportsmanship/creativity prize for awhile now, but it's not caught on... (sigh)