damage

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by cbearsbro, Jan 23, 2001.

1. cbearsbro Nightwing

If a card's condition for a effect to happen just says "damage", I take that to mean life-total damage to the opponent, not just combat damage. Is that correct? For example, armadillo cloak says if enchanted creature deals damage, gain life. While voracious cobra says if it deals combat damage, destroy creature. MTG seems very specific with their choice of wording on cards, so I wanted to clarify the distinction for future reference.
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

If I'm understanding you right, I think you have the right idea.

Armadillo Cloak is ANY damage, combat or otherwise (like if you stick Fire Whip on him).

The Cobra is just combat damage (meaning in the combat phase, when he attacks or blocks, whatever damage his power deals). Sticking a Fire Whip on him would NOT trigger it, even if you use it during the combat phase. It has to be the damage from his power when he attacks or blocks.
  3. cbearsbro Nightwing

So if it doesn't specifically say "combat" damage, ANY damage it causes would trigger the life gain (or whatever if we weren't talking about the armadillo cloak)? Whoa, I misinterpretted that one. Thought if it only said damage, it meant actual life damage to my opponent. i.e. somehow it got through with trample or was unblocked or something.
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Correct.

If it just says "damage", it's ANY damage, whether to your opponent or another creature or whatever.
  5. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

You've got it right, cbearsbro. If you put an Armadillo Cloak on Prodigal Sorceror (1/1, T: Deal one damage to target creature or player), then you will gain 1 life every time you activate him to deal damage.

"Combat" damage is only the damage inflicted by a creature during combat, i.e., the creature's power. "Damage" means _any_ damage inflicted by the creature.

And yes, Magic is VERY careful with it's wording. You should have seen the chaos are this time last year when the Parallax cards from Nemesis were revealed! (They had a minor wording problem, saying "Remove a fading counter from ~this~: Remove target creature from the game" They needed the additional template "if ~this~ is in play" tagged on the end of the ability.) It can get ugly.
  6. cbearsbro Nightwing

Wow, must re-evaluate the value of some of my cards then ;) Thanks for the clarification guys, really appreciate it :)

While I'm at it, here's another damage related issue. If I or my opponent are using a Licid as an enchantment, I know I can de-activate the licid after the blockers have been declared to save it if the creature it's on is going to die. However, if the creature is a target of a spell, can I still de-activate the licid in response to save it? I'm thinking it's an activated ability, so I should be able to do it.

When using licids, they originally are tapped to go onto the creature. They untap but stay on the creature during the untap phase, right?
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yes, you can de-activate the Licid in response.

yes, they stay on the creature during the untap (and all other) phases.
  8. cbearsbro Nightwing

KEWL :D I like the little guys. Very useful. Had the dominating licid used on me a couple of times. How annoying to have yer own creature turn on ya. Specially when it was the only flyer in the pre-con deck :(

If I used a "return target creature to owner's hand" card on the creature the licid is currently attached to, that would break the enchantment because the creature would leave play and become "illegal", right?

Sorry for all the questions. Just an interesting creature/enchantment that we started playing with last night and I'm curious :)
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Right.

Of course, if the owner's able, they can try to de-activate the Licid in response to try and save it (like you asked above).
  10. cbearsbro Nightwing

Thanks Spiderman!! (heh, always wanted to say that. Just never thought I could :)) By george, I do believe I'm catching on to this game. :D Maybe I'll even start playing by the correct rules now ;)
  11. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Just tohught I'd pass along a little fun with Armadillo Cloak that occured to me while reading this thread...

Put it on Tahngarth, Talruum Hero. You can gain gain 6 life and kill a creature every turn.

Enjoy!

Oh, and cbearsbro, don't worry about asking too many questions. We like it. Some of us wish there were people like us when we started playing this game - back when the rules were complicated!* - so ask away.

*;)
  12. cbearsbro Nightwing

Yep. Figure if I'm gonna play a game, would like to know I'm at least playing somewhat correctly :) I'm definitely glad I found forums to ask questions. Ya know how loooooong it takes for WOC to respond to a question, if ever? :rolleyes: I must say, liking CPA lot better than MTGnews these days. Some of those guys are vicious when ya ask a question. Sheeesh :( Seriously, need to get off the high-horse pills :p

Here, it's calmer and crazier... Hmmmm is that an oxymoron? ;) I like it. Suits me better. Hopefully will get my gf signed on here soon so she can ask questions and enjoy the insanity too :)
  13. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Your Guardian Force?

;)
  14. cbearsbro Nightwing

More like Keeper of Kookus. I'm Kookus :p
  15. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

My GF would object to the title of "Keeper." :) I dunno about yours...

MtgNews can be pretty vicious at times (even _I'M_ vicious on those boards), but on the other hand, you have 4+ registered judges over there answering questions on a regular basis. They almost always get the same answers as we do, but they have the title to back it up. That's the best reason to be over there. This place is WAY more fun, though!