Damage and Trample

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Alf the White, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Alf the White New Member

This is the problem:

My opponet have a creature 6/5 in play, in my turn i play a Flametongue Kavu and deal four damage to his creature, then play my skizzik and he block.

Question:

My skizzik deal 1 damage to the creature blocking and four to the player ? (This is what i sed)

Because the creature is 6/1 for the damage made by the flametongue. I this true ?
  2. olwen New Member

If there was no other actions before damage is assigned you only need to assign lethal damage to the blocker, which is one more point, and the rest can trample over to the opponent.
  3. Cateran Emperor Passed On

However, keep in mind that the creature does still have a toughness of 5, not 1. He has 4 of 5 damage assigned to him, ergo one more is needed.
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Toughness is not like "hit points," where you reduce the number for each point of damage. Toughness simply tells you how mauch damage the creature can take, but doesn't actually change as a result of the damage.

Just the same, you were right that Skizzik only needed to deal one more point of damage to the 6/5 in order to deal "lethal damage," allowing the remaining 4 to "trample through."
  5. Alf the White New Member

In the same case what about this:

""502.9c If all the creatures blocking an attacking creature with trample are removed from combat before the combat damage step, all its damage is assigned to the defending player.""

In responce to the block, i play my terminate over the creature 6/5 and this happend:

1. all damage past to the oponent because the creature was removed from combat.

2. my skizzik do not die because the creature was removed from combat before damage is assigned in the next step.

If this corret ???
  6. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Asuuming you Terminate before the Combat Damage Step...

1 - Right. With no blocker to assign damage to, all trample damage is assigned to the defending player.

2 - Skizzik won't die during combat (since nothing damaged it) but it will die at end of turn unless you paid the kicker.
  7. Alf the White New Member

Thanks Chaos.

my skizzik is more dangerous now !!!!!!