Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cyclone
Color=Green
Type=Enchantment
Cost=2GG
AN(U3)/CH(U1)
Text(CH+errata): Cumulative upkeep {G}. (At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay {G} for each age counter on it.) ; Whenever you pay ~this~'s cumulative upkeep, it deals damage equal to the number of age counters on ~this~ to each creature and player. [Oracle 2001/08/24]

Going through my cards with Magic Suitcase, I found I have two of these and am thinking it can work in MP somewhat. I obviously need to protect it, so either blue or white (isn't there a creature that protects enchantments?). Probably white is better, because I could have pro-green and have Pariah or something similiar to deflect the damage to me.

Any further ideas?

T

theorgg

Fountain watch protects enchantments, then enchantments protect them... wuG might be a very workable combonation... You might even just use a COP Green for the damage liike George Baxter did oh so many years ago...

Just don't put it in there with black... just trust me... :{ )

Z

Zero T Katama

There is Sterling Grove....

Sterling Grove GW
Enchantment

All other enchantments you control can't be the target of spells or abilities.

1, Sacrifice ~This~: Search your library for an enchantment card and reveal that card. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.

So get two of those out, and you'll be relatively safe...

K

krichaiushii

Spiderman, I'm aware of your card pool, so pardon my thinking aloud. I think there are a few diamonds in these rough thoughts.

There are two concerns here. First, how to get the mana to keep the CU in the ridiculous levels for extended periods, and secondly how to survive the Cyclone yourself.

Fortunately, green lends itself to copious amounts of mana. The draw back is that its most reliable way - the elves - will die to the Cyclone very quickly. This means you need to either pump up/protect the elves or rely on green's enchantments to get more mana into play (ranging from Wild Growth to Burgeoning, and all points in between).

Pumping up the elves means adding lots of rares. Kaysa and Elvish Champion from green, Glorious Anthem from white, and the ever-popular artifact Coat of Arms - which could backfire if you hope to use Cyclone to remove your opponents' creatures from play.

Protecting the elves is far more difficult. Green Ward would save a few, as could Mother of Runes (leaving herself vulnerable in turn). It occurs to me that a deck using the Shaman en-Kor (takes damage from other creatures to itself) and a Green Ward could be amusing, if unwieldy.

White does have two enchantments - Absolute Grace and Absolute Law - that give all creatures protection from black and red, respectively. A Sleight of Mind would save your creatures, but prevent your killing off opponents' creatures, as well. The same goes for running a Chaoslace or Deathlace for the Cyclone. If white has an enchantment giving all creatures progreen, that would be nice, but again, would save the opposing forces.

All told, global protection for creatures seems to have too high a cost to make playing Cyclone worthwhile.

But what creatures are naturally protected from green? Cerulean Wyvern and Voice of Duty. Blue and white, respectively. Using Sleight of Mind can provide others, albeit sporadically. There has to be more than two, shouldn't there be?

theorgg mentions COP: Green. Why not build the deck around COP: Green, and the "old-fashioned" tricks that can be done with it? Force of Nature, Hurricane, and Cyclone. Use white for life gain (Spirit Link, Congregate, and Healing Salve), early creatures, protection in general (Walls and Story Circles/COPs), and enchantment-fetching and away you go. With enough enchantments, Auratog might be considered as an alternate win method... ;)

Should you have the cards for it, Green Ward and Lure on the Aisling Leprechaun has always been a popular idea for me - but alas, I've no Leprechauns.

So I rambled a bit. But some of this looks very deck-listable. But since this is your post, Spidey, you have dibs. ;)

S

superguy

Just a quick thought... A rare just came out in Odyssey - Earnest Fellowship. It's an enchantment at 1W that reads: All creatures have protection from their color(s). I know it's new, but I don't think you should have any trouble acquiring it - if there's a store close to you they probably have it as a dollar rare. Well, this might just be a good use for it. It would protect your green creatures from Cyclone and other green damage - but be mindful that you no longer will be able to stick an Armadillo Cloack on them either. If you do use Earnest Fellowship, you should probably run some Artifact Creatures to help against other green decks. Just a thought, good luck with the deck :)

Z

Zero T Katama

I have Earnest Fellowship, got it at Pre-release.
I agree. That's really the only situation I can think of it as being useful, if you used artifact creatures as well.
Note: It really bites in limited, because everyone is drafting some combination of G, usually G/W, so it loses its effect

R

rkoelsch

This isn't really about cyclone. but about krichaiushii Aisling Leprechaun comments. I had actually built a deck around these creatures. You can't have Lure and Green Ward on the creature at the same time unless you change the color of lure first. If you wanted to do this put green ward on the leprechaun. give it banding with baton of morale and band it with a taunting elf.
I know that doesn't help you spidey., sorry.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just kidding ;)

Anyhoo, I'm thinking that you don't need the Cyclone out for too long - 4-5 turns is probably realistic (well, with MP, maybe not, since everyone will probably be gunning for me). But that's 10-15 points of damage to everyone and creatures. Even three turns is 6 damage. Plus if I have ways to get it back from the graveyard, it could be recast.

So yeah, surviving it and other players is a concern. COP Green, Pariah on Voice of Duty, Spirit Link/Armadillo Cloak, Good ol' Fountain of Youth, Ivory Tower, etc. might be possibilities.

Now, dealing with the upkeep. Unless it comes out early (which I'm not sure I want it to, since I'll probably need defense against the other players), I should have 4 mana, 2 green. So hopefully I can keep it out for the 3-5 turns. Plus, if I do add Wild Growth to speed up mana (or Moss Diamond), that should help.

So in summary, I'm probably looking at land mana acceleration enchantments or artifact mana, big creatures and/or Wall of Roots-like to help with the mana and defense, and white for protection of Cyclone and life gain. How's that?

R

rkoelsch

I think you have it all set. looks like a fair strategy so far.

M

Mikeymike

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm probably repreating stuff but...

I like G/W, with big creatures that won't die to the clone, Voice of Truth?/All, Armadillo Cloacks, Skyshroud Claim, CoP Green and more.

Mono-Green can handle this puppy too, there is nothing wrong with running as a support card for a mono-green beatdown deck.

K

krichaiushii

If you have any, consider the other green enchantment with CU.
Ritual of Subdual!! Nothing quite like messing with the other guy's mana resources in a fun and exciting way...

Especially those blue wizards...