current community size CPA?

J

jorael

I was just wondering how big the current CPA community is. There seem to be a handful of regular posters, but not in the quantitiy of others forums.

How much active members did CPA had in the past?

Just wondering, that's all...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The current community is about what you think you see now, probably about 10-15 regulars (as in check in once a day or every two days).

I would say the heyday of the CPA was late 2000 when we got an influx of people coming from mtgnews? Somewhere and there were probably 30 or so people checking in and posting regularly. It's sort of dropped off as the oldies stopped playing or coming and not enough new people to replace them.

J

jorael

Too bad there are less new members...

I wonder if this is so because there are so many magic forums around (misetings, salvation, brainburst, mtgnews, magic vortex, dozens more I don't know). Or that players don't know about CPA. It could be that there are not much players online that have no interests in casual discussions, but I doubt it. Most magic players play casually.

Ferret

Staff member
The main thing is that we don't advertise and we have no affiliations w/ other sites. People here about us through word of mouth, but that's about it. The site is still pretty strong though. I mean WotC is aware of us and rumour has it that some of their people scope us out from time to time.

-Ferret

"I like to think that if started to advertise/affiliate we could end up looking like Brainburst and I wouldn't like that..."

Killer Joe

I remember having to disappear from the boards due to a student stalker several years ago but otherwise I check in about two to three times a week on average.

I would love to see some oldies come back and check in, in fact, I thought I saw Griffith_Se post the other day for Mindy's HBD post.

"I wonder where they are now?"
~Purple Jester
~Spidey's old dance partner (can remember her name now)
~Dexy's Midnight Runners :D
et al

HEY, where's Homestar been? I know he's really into Standard right now and he semi-recently told me in a PM that he'd won a local tournament for $$$$.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ferret
The main thing is that we don't advertise and we have no affiliations w/ other sites. People here about us through word of mouth, but that's about it. The site is still pretty strong though. I mean WotC is aware of us and rumour has it that some of their people scope us out from time to time.
It depends on how many people here visit other sites AND somehow let other people know about here. rakso put the link in his sig. Ransac got people to come here various times. But I don't visit other magic sites so I'm not much help :)

I think "strong" is being overly generous. "Keepin afloat" is what I'd term it. Unfortunately, I've been unable to change around the forums per the site change we discussed over the summer; so Ed might have to get involved and I'm not sure if he wants to (I guess asking him would make sure :) )

WOTC is aware of us but not sure if they check in anymore. They used to when the site first started but to be honest, nothing's been going on here in the past couple of years that they've had to check here. Except maybe orgg's efforts, nothing said here in the past couple years had really had an impact on whatever WOTC was planning.

KJ: It was Whimsical ;)

J

jorael

Yeah, theorgg mentioned CPA to me on the Misetings boards, so I guess mouth to mouth works just fine.

@ferret: I agree that this should not become brainburst. Besides what would a premium membership offer? Insight discussion about slight?! ;)

Killer Joe

Yeah, theorgg mentioned CPA to me on the Misetings boards, so I guess mouth to mouth works just fine.
Mouth to MOUTH!?! Yeech! I like theorgg, too but not THAT way. :D

WHIMSY!!!!! Yeah, Thanks Spidey! But I'm sad 'cause I DO remember her now :(

The way she spoke (wrote) always reminded me of Sandy Acorn from SpongeBob SquarePants show. Yee-Ha, ya'll! :)

J

jorael

Originally posted by Killer Joe
Mouth to MOUTH!?! Yeech! I like theorgg, too but not THAT way. :D
Hahaha, that's what they call a too literal translation. I meant word to mouth (as Ferret used above), but I translated the Dutch words too literally. Doh! :)

Theorgg seems like a good guy, but I don't know him that good.