Cultural Exchange

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Zadok001, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Player A plays Cultural Exchange. In response, player B sacrifices Academy Rector and fetches an Ivory Mask. What happens?

I believe the Exchange resolves, since it still has ONE legal target, and doesn't do anything TO those targets on resolution. What's the reality here?

From a tired judge with limited net access due to being a state away from his PC... :)
  2. terzarima New Member

I agree with the verdict, the spell does nothing, but is not countered upon resolution.
  3. Ertai New Member

:D You seem to manage well for not having a PC...

I would agree with you too. Specifically what you don't get to do to the player B target on resolution is to 'choose any number of creatures that player controls.' Depending on which target player B was, you either end up choosing 0 of your creatures and nothing happens, or some number of your creatures and having nothing to exchange them with, so nothing happens there either.
  4. BigBlue Magic Jones

My "guess" would be that it depends.

If it was cast prior to resolution (aren't the choices, not targets, made at resolution?) then Player A couldn't pick it, so it wouldn't affect anything. If it was cast after resolution (and the choices were made) then Player B would get the creatures and Player A would be "shorted" a creature.

But I haven't kept compltely up on the Judge Stuff recently, so I could be mistaken.
  5. EricBess Active Member

It would still have one legal target, so it would resolve as well as possible. It would not be able to choose any creatures from B, so the number of creatures chosen would have to be 0.

And since all creature choices are made on resolution, if B waited until the spell resolved, it would be too late to sacrifice Rector since player A would now control it (assuming it was one of the creatures chosen).
  6. Ertai New Member

I can't think of any situation where this would matter, but here it is anyway...

Cultural Exchange says you choose any number of creatures for the first target, and the same number for the second. If player A were the first target, would A still choose any number of his creatures, and just not be able to pick the same number of creatures for player B? Or would A not be able to choose any of his creatures because if he did then he wouldn't be able to select the same number for B?

Cultural Exchange
    4UU
    Sorcery
    Choose any number of creatures target player controls. Choose the same number of creatures another target player controls. Those players exchange control of those creatures. #(This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)#
  7. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

The Cultural Exchange will resolve, that's true. But since player B is an illegal target on resolution, Player A won't be able to choose any creatures B controls. Thus, Player A won't be able to fulfill the spell's instructions, since he can't choose anything for Player B, so nothing will happen.