Creature type tournament

H

Haggen

Remember me?
I Remember you all, heh.

Guess what.

Our group will enter a tournament with only creature-themed decks. Type 1 allowed.

So, we have the goblins, the mighty elves, the merfolks, the soldiers, the rebels, the angels, the dragons...

...the walls...

The rules for deckbuild are that it must have only one type of creature, and with at least 25 creatures

I was thinking on a wall deck, you know me, always wanting to play different. I could use a "pim pim" wall deck with lots of enchant creature that turn it in a "sting wall" or beserk walls with Rolling Stones.

Anyway, this time I need you telling me what to do to prevent losing badly to the "standart creature-type decks" like goblins, elves and merfolks. I mean, what type of strategy should I use, what deck construction would you do?

D

Darkstar

:p

I dont 'member ya... but sounds kewl... hope ya lots of luck.

As for your build... I think u got the right idea... use stingy and other walls that deal damage(razors, etc) to take care of some of the lil buggers. Ya, and the rollin stones aint a bad idea... build around that.

Hehe, were u on here under a diff name?

H

Haggen

It's just that I am not the every-day poster, you know.

My last post was about my griffing deck, it must be buried somewhere around...hwe hehehe

T

train

Glacial Walls and quicksilver daggers are a nice touch... you can run fire/ice and a lot of red like shocks and steam blasts or tremors to make sure your opponent's armies don't get too big...

I definitely think Red/Blue is the way to go... Then there'swall of stone and wall of tears and ...;)

H

Haggen

The problem is that with 25 creatures I'll have only more or less 15 slots for other spells.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Use the walls that can animate on their own (like Walking Wall) so you don't have to depend on Rolling Stones as much.

The pinging is a good idea if you can fit them - Quicksilver Dagger and the new red one from Onslaught come to mind.

Not sure if flying is going to be a problem so don't know how much you want to devote to counter it as there's not a lot of flying walls except in blue and white. Hopefully the pinging would keep it down too.

T

train

The reason I mentioned the dagger is the draw advantage it generates...

A wall deck with these actually won a FNM in Lubbock... for 4 weeks...

K

Killerbob

If you play white, you have wall of swords, and sunweb, which are very good blockers (flying), until you draw rolling stones. Add prison barricade, which can attack without rolling stones. Maybe walking wall and mobile fort (artifact walls which can be animated) too. In my old wall deck I played bullwhip, to make opponent attack. It also deals 1 damage to the creature, which might be very strong in a creature theme tourney. I also used citanul flute. Activate it for 0, search for shifting wall (casting cost x, which counts as 0, when it is in your deck). Urza incubator makes walls cheap (fits very well with cc4 creatures), and makes shifting wall +2/+2.

But I really think you should play blue. Then you could use unnatural selection instead of rolling stones (just make your walls dragons or whatever), and could make use of opponents lords. "Goblin king? Ok, my walking wall is now a 6/2 mountainwalking goblin. Your goblins are all...hmmm...nightstalkers."

H

Haggen

So that's how I build it, the tournament do not have the rules approved by our group so this build can change. Come on, change it!

Creatures
3 Wall of Difusion
3 Fog Bank
3 Wall of Air
3 Wall of Dust
4 Glacial Wall
4 Shield Sphere
4 Wall of Heat

Enchantments
4 Fire Whip
4 Psyonic Gift
4 Quicksilver Dagger

Lands
10 Islands
11 Mountains

Pretty simple, eh?

H

Haggen

Rules for our tournament are as it follow:

1- The deck MUST have at least 26 creatures cards, where:

1.a - 20 creatures must be of the SAME type
1.b - 6 creatures can be support creatures for the type of the other 20 (Like Goblin King or Zirilan of the Claw).

2 - The deck MUST have at maximum 60 cards.

Man, my wall deck is boring. It bores everyone who play against me, hehehehehe. I mean, what creature-based deck can pass thru tons of walls of all types? I think no one will expect that type of deck on the tournament, specially with all these soldiers/goblins/elves/beast running around.

It's really funny to see my friends' faces looking at the table and saying: "I don't believe it...how on earth will I be able to ATTACK YOU???"

Come on, I have a wall that comes in play with no cost.

But I just pondering if I should add some other burn or bounce spell or not, I was thinking using Jilt or something, I don't know, what do you think?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think your pinging spells should do fine.

Any reason why you didn't go for the walls that can animate themselves like Walking Wall or Mobile Fort?

T

train

you should play that Wrath of god tht kills all but two creature types of yours and your opponent's choices...

H

Haggen

I can't make a 5 color wall deck, gosh...
I am not using self-animate walls because:

1- I don't have them.
2- Even if I have, they're too expensive, I mean I can't wait more than 2 turns to begin playing walls.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying make your deck with all of them. But Wall of Dust? There's gotta be better red walls... :)

B

beebleboy

You could use some of the old Glyphs from legends if you can get your hands on them...lots of fun.

T

train

Stangg... He was always cool!!!...

Or the one that makes soldiers!...

K

Killerbob

wave of reckoning must be better than wrath. But I still think unnatural selection should be in the deck -at least 2.
wall of razors (4/1 first strike for r1) is an ok red wall.

H

Haggen

You must be thinking about wall of stone, don't you?
But I'm afraid to use it because of the RR on the 1RR cost.
If two mountains don't come what will I do?

If you have any other sugestions about some red wall that I don't know, please tell me.

I have until march to build the deck, so, no probs yet.

K

Killerbob

No, wall of stone is wall of stone. And definately not a 4/1 first striker! Wall of razors is wall of razors.