"Creature Feature" format - deck help needed

Killer Joe

The August MML game is a "Creature Feature" format voted by its members (I voted for Peasnat Magic, so whatever I vote for everyone votes another way :rolleyes: ).

What has worked for any of you? Here's what I got:
I turned my GBW Control deck into all creatures replacing Wrath of God to Mageta, the Lion and so on. I also turned my Legacy deck called Angry-Tradewind-Survival (ATS) into an all creature deck. Neither work well at all.

I need some suggestions of single creatures that work very well and from there I can build upon them.

Thanks

tag guard

turgy22

Nothing Special
If you're building an all-creature deck, you'll definitely want to include Primordial Sage. I have a UG all-creature deck online and when this guy hits the table, all hell breaks loose. Almost every card you play replaces itself. Combined with other card-drawers, like Carven Caryatid and Momir Vig, the card advantage simply explodes. Especially with Momir, who allows you to get any other creature, which is good in a toolbox type deck.

If I was redesigning my deck for multiplayer, I'd probably add black for good comes-into-play creatures like Nekrataal and Gravedigger. And morph creatures like Bane of the Living and Skinthinner sound like absolute bombs in that format.

Tag Guard

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Triskelion and Mephidross Vampire damage and counter creation loop
Norritt and Sorceress Queen to lure a creature and make it easy to kill.

Elvish Piper to bring in any huge creature, use Seedborn Muse to keep them untapped every turn.

L

Limited

I really enjoyed my mono-green Spirit deck; it contained Elder Pine of Jukai and Loam Dweller to set up a lot of mana and used cards like Forked Branch Garami to return spirits from your graveyard to your hand. An important card was Shinen of Life's Roar which can be channeled to give a creature of yours Lure until end of turn.. which is kinda like removal.

You could also capitalize on the fact that you'll be facing all-creature decks by playing cards like Charmed Griffin or eh.. :(

Maybe a Llawan, Cephalid Empress if you face a monoblue deck? Or how about Stronghold Biologist and a lot of creatures that get you card advantage?

I would definitely look into the possibility of making a toolbox deck, using either Momir Vig or Transmute..

Good luck!

J

jorael

Mirror Golem is a must. At 6 mana you get a 3/4 protection from everything (creatures) monstrosity. Commander Eesha and Beloved Chaplain do the trick also. They can be killed by something like Bane of the Living, however.

Hmm... I'd probably make a W/B control deck. I'd love to attack with Beloved Chaplain and then ninjutsu a Okiba-Gang Shinobi in play... Black gives you Bane of the Living, Nekrataal, Royal Assassin, Thrashing Wumpus, Crypt Rats: a lot of removal.

If you're going to play G/U Plaxmanta might be a good addition... ;)

EDIT: I knew I read an article about this format somewhere and I found it again. It's at StarCityGames and you might want to read the experiences of Peter Jahn:

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/7769.html

Some of the creatures he mentiones are Duplicant (it can take care of Akroma, which few other creatures can), Flametongue Kavu, Solemn Simulacrum, False Prophet and Bringers. All nice cards, but reading the article I remember where I got the notion a B/W deck might be good :D

Killer Joe

WoW! Nice article and not too old either. Mirror Golem is the *BOMB*, I'm going with a non-countermagic Blue-Black-White theme:
~Soul Warden - you gain life for each creature that comes into play
~Windborn Muse - a 2/3 white flying propaganda
~Mirror Golem - it thumbs its nose at Avatar of Woe which I expect to see many of them at the game
~Kokusho, the Evening Star for mass life gain/life drain - I'll sac it to Miren the Moaning Well
~Yoesi, the Morning Star
~Court Hussar for card drawing and blocking
~An assortment of walls such as Angelic Wall 0/4 flying; Wall of Souls 0/4 black wall that opponent takes damage for when I block their creature and the blue bounce wall from Stronghold
~Nekrataal

I'm not sure how good it'll be as I have a target on my head and I'll be taken out first most likely. :(

tag guard

J

jorael

Yeah the article is very nice.

If you're going for U/B/W you could add Azorius Herald and ninja's... Might be fun and effective :)

(I've made a U/W Azorius-Ninja deck and it's a blast to play!)

S

sageridder

What about your land? I would consider some non basics that could give some effects, at least run Dromar's Cavern for mana fixing.You might consider some of the guildmages (you could cast all but gruul) even in sideboard some of the effects they have might prove usefull.what about master decoy,or stinkweed imp,or Woolly Razorback.

Killer Joe

Here's my list as of today:
4 Soul Warden
3 Angelic Wall
2 Wall of Souls
3 Fog Bank
3 Shadowmage Infiltraitor
4 Azorius Herald
3 Court Hussar
4 Windborn Muse
4 Faceless Butcher
2 Razormane Masticore
2 Mirror Golem
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
2 Yosei, the Morning Star

1 Eiganjo castle
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
4 Thran Quarry
4 Godless Shrine
2 Balisca Orzohov
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Tundra
1 Scrubland
2 Watery Grave
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Kikororo, Center of Sea
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Kor Haven

First of all, this deck is for a ONE-GAME-ONLY of multiplayer for Multiplayer Magic League. Chances are likely that I will never play it again. With that said here's some of my thinking:
I never used to believe that "life-Gain" was a great path to victory but in this case a great many of the decks will be of the "Weenie" nature and the mind sey is starting to be; whoever wins alot gets killed first, and yup, i win alot. I don't expect Soul Warden to last very long but in an opening hand it'll help unrtil everyone drops their copy of Mogg Fanatic :rolleyes:

I have so many turn 2 drops due to the fact that i whole-heartedly expect to weenie'd first out of the game so in go some walls. The turn three drops are good because of this: Life-gain or card-drawing. The hearld is so good just for the three-drop life-gain/chump blocker if needed let alone it's unblockable if I live long enough to attack. Hussar is a good blocker and lets me "dig" for that much needed land I need for the turn four drop.

At turn four I expect to plop down a Windborn Muse to ease the pain a bit. The Faceless Butchers are for later in the game when the onslaught of Avatar of Woe's show up.

Turn five, though I'll be lucky to even see one, is for Razormane Masticore, you know, I won't even need it until mid-game and that's good because on Turn seven we get to draw extra cards every turn after that. We call it the "Serum Visions" effect.

The Mirro Golems are there to shake their fists at Avatar of Woe and to rid someone's graveyard of any pesky Eternal Dragons. The Yosei and Kokusho are there for the end game, if i ever get to see it.

Hearlds and Ninja's? I like that, I like that very much. Thanks!

Tag Guard

J

jorael

Nice, but 8 walls?! Something like Kabuto Moth and Boneshredder look more interesting (and also take the gas out of a weeny deck). As you play blue and black I'd certainly add a few ninja's for surprise value :D

Killer Joe

jorael said:
Nice, but 8 walls?! Something like Kabuto Moth and Boneshredder look more interesting (and also take the gas out of a weeny deck). As you play blue and black I'd certainly add a few ninja's for surprise value :D
In this "Multiplayer" format if I can't protect myself from 6 attacks per turn I'm a dead duck. I am seriously consider wearing one of those Target t-shirts they sell at target :rolleyes:

Also, I'm still considering the Ninja idea; Azorius Hearlds and the "I'll take a creature from your graveyard" Ninja sounds good to me.

tag guard

Killer Joe

Okay, here's the quick of it:
I came in third place last Saturday. The first and second place guys had en-masse sliver builds. I shouldn't have lasted as long as I did but those Windborn Muses & Soul Wardens really helped.

I submitted an article giving the deatails about our MML game.