CPA Forum Avatars

N

Notepad

Oh, rulers of this site, can we please have some avatars?

There shouldn't be asny problem of letting us have avatars. They make forums a lotr more fun.

And any scumbags who want to make dirty avatars should just get banned, anyway. Easy as that.

I for one would love to have custom avatars. I have one of a cat graphically altered like a pirate, which I would love to have here. That, or a screenshot from a Diablo II commercial where the necromancer looks cool.

A

Apollo

I personally think avatars are kinda cheesy... *shrug* Maybe I'm just weird.

S

Svenmonkey

Yeah, seeing "Image Hosted By Tripod" next to all the dumb kids' names gets old after a while.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think avatars are really necessary, but that's probably just me just content to keep that status quo :)

I think the official reason why we don't have them is bandwidth or something like that though...

E

EricBess

Well, I for one have a cable modem, so band width on my end isn't an issue. I don't know about the server hosting, so I don't know band width issues on the server side.

Regardless, I've dropped by MTGNews on occassion (and similar sites) and I personally don't like avatars. I don't think they are necessary and I agree with Apollo that they are kind of cheesy.

I for one would not have an avatar even if they were offered.

N

nodnarb24

Avatars are a bad idea seeing how Ed is paying for this site out of his pocket, the extra bandwidth fees can add up. And seeing how this site isn't pulling any revenue, it's a wasted expense.

T

train

Or a message banner... like for an online store or something...

*scrolling*buy six boxes for the price of a case and get shipping on your second case free...:p

N

Notepad

Never thought about it bandwidth-wise before.

That would be cool if the site could somehow be made to pay for itself so Ed doesn't have to "labor of love" so much.

Pop-ups would suck. Selling cards is impossible without a store front already established. Seems like the only thing is to do a public cable style charity "please pledge" day or week or something.

But if we put our heads together, maybe we can figure something out...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was just kidding about the pop up ads.

I don't think this site gets enough traffic to pay for itself. I don't know how Ed currently pays for whatever costs this eats up :(

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

On MTGnews (where I also reside), they have avatars, but they also have 19,636 members (12x us) and more forums, with sub-forums on top of that. Still, avatars are pretty g00d. And with this being a village rather than a city like MTGnews, there really aren't enough people to warrant a whackload of them.

N

Notepad

Too bad there aren't more readers of the site.

Spidey, are you able to let us know what was the peak readership year/month for CPA? and what was going right in that time period? If we can somehow bring back that formula maybe we can increase the power of CPA.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don't have access to numbers or stats; Ed has those. From my memory though, the CPA got its biggest boost in membership numbers when theorgg posted his interviews with Richard Garfield, Mark Rosewater, and someone else? (Peter Adkinson?) back in summer 2000 or early 2001. However, this did not really translate into active posters and those that did post did not really stay.

Also during 2000 was when a lot of people came over from the Dojo who "we" (Founders and others like me who were already familiar with from the Dojo forums) knew; not totally new people. Not a lot of those have stayed either (more to quitting Magic or real life demands; Yellowjacket, Gizmo, and Chaos Turtle come to mind).

I think end of 2000 to summer of 2001 was when some people came over from MTGNews: EricBess, Rando, DUke, Whimsical, Purple_Jester come to mind. As you can tell, not a lot of those are active anymore, but were for about a year or so.

To be honest, I doubt we've ever had more than 50 active posters ever (defined as posting once a day) and 100 semi-active posters (post once a week).

N

Notepad

Dang. Interesting developments there. Thanks much for sharing the info.

I was thinking over some ideas recently, but rather than here I'll start a new thread, as this is already going way off topic for this thread. ;)

N

Nightstalkers

sorry we were off there... long story.

Try looking at the thread that we started up about the same thing. Think that Eddy actually replied.

Na na na, na na na the amazing spiderman, na na na na!!!

is the thread title.

N

Notepad

Thank you for the info, Nightstalkers. I had a feeling this issue may be a dead horse, but I wanted to bring it up anyway because I am a lazy, fat, pig.

Mad Dog: *chimes in* Not me! I'm a sleezy fat pig! Yeah!

SeFRo: *locks Mad Dog in a box* Yeah, so thanks for the info because now I won't have to actually look for it. :D

And anyway, the thread led to a whole new one which I hope will remodel the CPA into a more helpful and much more read site. :D

N

Nightstalkers

try making everyone put a link to the CPA on thier web site... like we do for ours.

N

Notepad

Would be cool to do links with those little buttons. I could try to design a rudimentary one...

In the meantime, Nightstalkers: Do any of you happen to have graphic artist skills in part of your m4dd h4x0r sk1llz toolbox?

N

Nightstalkers

We currently have one Nightstalker in orbit... but she doesn't have any skills in artwork. (But she is great in the art of sabotage)

Sorry but only a few of us have great artistry skills and we do not sell out to just anybody.

As for the attachment of the links... all we can say is that we have at least 69% of all web sites buged with a link to our site somewhere or another. (just look)