CPA Apprentice Tournament

J

Jake74

I think we should start an apprentice tournament at the CPA. We could do the matchups and give people 4 days or a week to play the matches and go from there. I would be willing to set up the matchups and keep it going if anyone is interested.
All you have to do is post here or PM me. When we get eight I'll get one started...
I hope this can work!

Current (possible) Entrants:
Jake74
Lotus Mox
superguy
Gerode
Spiderman(I hope)

Come On! Sign up!! (3 More!)
The plan is to meet in the CPA chatroom (yes, there is one! :p) for any draft tourneys...
When we have enough for a tourney, the opponents can meet however is best for them, we don't really need a central meeting place other than our message boards...

-----------------------------------
All you need is apprentice and some way to contact your opponent: AOLIM, YahooIM, ICQ, IRC, etc...
-----------------------------------

Links:
Apprentice (play the game) - www.e-league.com (programs/patches)
E-league has apprentice, the set patches, and netdraft... netdraft is great fun... get that too.
mIRC (chat and connect) - www.mirc.com

L

Lotus Mox

I'm MoxL on IRC, and I'd play in a casual tourney, any idea what formats we'll play?

I have some knowledge about IRC, if you have any questions you can ask me, and you should also specifiy a Server where we can meet, BTW the old CPA channel was #type-random on Newnet.

S

superguy

I can and will play any time eastern. From morning till night. Unless I go somewhere. But give me the estimate on when this will happe, and I'll say for sure whether i can come or not. But I probably will :)

P.S.: At the last one I think I was the only player to come... we had like 6 coordinators :p

G

Gerode

I'm interested in joining, but I don't know the first thing about mIRC.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by superguy
P.S.: At the last one I think I was the only player to come... we had like 6 coordinators :p
He was there too, if I remember right, for a brief time.

You know, I've wondered for a while now why you don't just use the CPA's own chatroom to run tourneys, instead of trying to get everyone to the same chatroom somewhere out on the web. Reluctance on the part of some of our members to download chat software (like Mirc, or Pirch) was a major factor in the failure of this idea the first time around, and this way you wouldn't have to try and track each other down on #this, or #that.

It's all right here...

You'd need a TO though, and judges. I'd volunteer, but my grasp of the rules since 6th ed. came out is more than a little tenuous, and I don't really have the time right now anyways. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable members could help out with that...;)

J

Jake74

I hadn't thought of that!! We can just use that, the only problem is it may be harder to find out your ip number to start games...
As I said, I would be more that willing to be a TO for this thing, and I am in the process of becoming a 'real' judge... I think I've got a good handle on the rules...
So, just let me know if you want to play and then we can meet in CPA chat to play...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
You'd have to keep track of pairings and match results in a thread here in the Casual Tourneys Forum too, especially if you want to try and do it league-style. PMing between the competitors would probably be the best way to set up matches, though that would run you into the problem of people who refuse to set/agree on a time for their matches.

It would also probably be an idea to have the competitors get used to being in the chatroom every week at the same time each week, like on a Friday night, or on Saturday afternoon. That way you could run regular tourneys in addition to league play, and it would mark off a place on the calendar for everyone to try and get together for matches.

I wonder what we could do for prize support...:cool:

J

Jake74

Tourney thing is really coming together!!
I had planned on making a thread here that had the current matchups and standings... we wouldn't really need any central place unless we were going to try a draft tourney or something...
We can always look into that at a later point...
As for agreeing on match times... we could just set a time limit for the matches to be completed... 4 days to a week... If they aren't played, either each person gets a draw or one gets a loss of they haven't been responding to the other's communication... I'm sure we could agree on something...

The way things look, September might not be an insane start time... :( Hope we can get started sooner... maybe one tourney each month (if only 8)... As soon there are 8 that express interest, I will PM and try to confirm if they are available...

BTW, I can't seem to get the chat thing to work for me... :()

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Spiderman
What happens when you try to get into the chatroom? Do you get the download prompt?
I download the thing, and the chat screen comes up, but I sit and sit and it just doesn't connect... if I try to type something, it tells me I'm not connected. Any ideas?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You're not behind a firewall, are you?

And there's no button that says Connect? (I can't remember, it's been awhile since I've used it).

J

Jake74

No firewalls...
Clicked the connect button (I'm not that stupid :D)
it says "connecting...." but it never does...

Now this one at work won't even show me the chat box... just a blank picture... :( ugh stupid computers... :mad:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you got me. That's it for me and my limited knowledge :)

Try asking in Suggestions with the detailed account of what you said here and maybe someone can help.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I get the Chatroom to come up just fine at home, though it does the thing you're referring to Jake when I try it at work. Are you sure you don't have a firewall on your machine?

Oh, also, please take my name off of the list. I won't be able to participate, though I wish you guys all the luck in the world.

Thanks. :D

J

Jake74

I got it to connect once... :(
But then I realized that it just connects to #type-random so I'll just use mIRC to chat... it's the same thing anyway....

J

Jake74

Unless I get 3-4 more people by Aug 15, I'm gonna just forget about this... :(
Then I can concentrate my time on planetarion... :)