Counterspell and Chains

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Terentius, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Terentius The Instigator

I was called "a fcked noob" and told to "get a tier 1 deck" just now... But maybe he had grounds on the first part.

I play Solar Blast, he responds by playing... eh, some spell where he draws cards then discards. After he's done discarding, he plays Counterspell on Solar Blast.

How can he play Counterspell if the chain has already begun resolving, i. e. his draw cards spell's effect begins to take place?
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Because that is not how Magic players do things anymore. We now have something called the stack. All spells or abilities (except for mana abilities and triggered mana abilities) now use the stack. After a spell or ability is played, each player gets the opportunity to play another spell or ability, which will go on top of the first spell or ability. When all players have passed, the top item on the stack resolves. After that, each player again gets the opportunity to play another spell or ability. When all players have passed again, the next item on the stack resolves. And so on and so forth.

(- Steve -)
  3. Terentius The Instigator

Ah. I guess that's the part I was missing.