Countering and Replication

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Rakarth, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Rakarth New Member

If I were to play any spell be it an instant or sorcery, I place it upon the stack sit back and say to my opponent, there you go, your turn. He doesn't like this spell so he counters it, sends it to my graveyard, this also goes on the stack. At this point the priority comes back to me, can I now use Izzet Guildmage to replicate the spell X times?

If I did, wouldn't he copy the spell X times as his ability resolves (assuming he wasn't countered and that neither of us has anything else to play now), then my opponents counter resolves, dumps the initial spell into the graveyard and then my spell resolves but is countered so off it goes to the GY?

Is this all correct? All Izzet Guildmage requires for me to copy a spell is that it is under my control and even when it is countered it is in play and under my control.

Thanks, Rakarth
  2. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

You cast a 2cc instant or sorcery (spell A). It is now on the stack.
    You pass priority
    your opponent casts a counterspell targeting spell A. It is now on the stack.
    You activate Izzet Guildmage's ability targeting spell A, which is still on the stack. There is a copy of spell A on the stack.
    You activate Izzet Guildmage's ability again, targeting spell A, which is still on the stack. There is a another copy of spell A on the stack.

you pass priority to your opponent. Opponent sticks tongue out at you in response.......

The stack now looks like this.
    1. Spell A
    2. Counterspell
    3. Copy of spell A
    4. Copy of spell A

As long as no one has any responses, the stack resolves this way
    1. copy of spell A resolves.
    2. copy of spell A resolves
    3. counterspell resolves, countering spell A.
  3. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Correct, he would have to counter each copy
  4. Rakarth New Member

What would happen if I were to play Train of Thought and use Izzet Guildmages ability to copy it (just for the sake of this example as I know in practise its a waste of mana).

Would the copy be exactly the same as the original spell? Would it still have replicate on it? This is what I believe it means when it says 'copy' you get exactly the same card again?

Is this right?

Thanks, Rakarth
  5. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Yes, copy gives you exactly the same spell.

Note that you don't play the copy, so you won't get to use the replicate option for the copy (but it does have it).