COPPA

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, I think we all knew this was coming - internet privacy for children. Oh, and who does it target? ... message board type systems. Grrr...

anyway, I'm trying to do as LITTLE as possible to comply with this, so my question to you is:

Is there anyone here UNDER 13? (12 and under)

Thanks, and here's a link to the law complying stuff.

-mike

C

Chaos Turtle

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this one, Ed.

This is not a commercial site nor is it, strictly speaking, a "general audience" website.

This place also has a target audience which is almost certainly not under 13 (though some visitors may well be). It doesn't contain images or advertising directed at children, either.

The very most you might need to do is simply advise (on the registration page) that kids under 13 not include their full (real) names or address information. Keep in mind that, according to the law) you need "actual knowledge" that the site is collecting this info from under-13 kids and that you're not responsible if a kid lies about his or her age.

(Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that kids lie about their ages.)

Anyhow, I can't see why this should be a problem for you. Re....lax.........
:)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I didn't notice that "actual" clause until Leshrac pointed it out to me. So therefore I'm ignoring it from now on. I guess this thread has no point now. :)

Although, feel free to comment. ;)

-mike

[Edited by Ed Sullivan (03-27-2000 at 07:01 PM).]

C

ChasDen

Hey Mike,

If you want you can put a link to our privacy statement. It is at:

http://www.magic-singles.com/privacy.htm

links need to be on any page where you collect information. If you are going to let me know and I will update the wording to include the CPA membership info and Message boards. The page we have posted is based on a "template to comply". We will update our page as required, to stay on top of it, and that way you know you are covered. I would suggest that the link be set-up to open a new window so when the user is done reading they can simply close it and continue on their surfing.