Constructing Our Set

L

Limited

Okay, lets try to put a set together so we can start playtesting it. Stuff the needs to be done:

1) Come up with a name for the set (or a working title)

2) Decide a set size

3) Next, we need to fill in the cards.. I think a good strategy would be to select all the rares first (seeing how they have "bigger" abilities) and then decide which rares set the themes for the set. For instance, suppose the following card makes it to the set:

Card Name: Switching Ground
Color: Z
Cost: 2UGW
Type: Enchantment
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: At the beginning of each players upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type. All lands that player controls become lands of the type chosen this turn during that players turn.
Flavor Text:
Rarity: R
Artist:
Number:

We could then decide if this rare is a 'stand alone' or if we want to look for commons and uncommons that fit the theme of changing the type of lands or promote monocoloredness.
I get the feeling that once the rares are selected, its easier to choose the commons and uncommons.

Mooseman? Ransac? Does this sound like a plan? (at least to get a first version of the set?)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Let me finish the set and I'll make a new thread that has all the edited cards listed by rarity and then color....ie all white rares, then blue rares....etc......
then uncommons and commons.
I'll call it - Design a set card pool....

You're Ideas seem to have merit, so lets go with it.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So what is the purpose of selecting rares?
Do we discuss them or just add them to the set?
Will they set the tone?

L

Limited

We choose one to put into the set, and first decide if it can stand on its own or if there should be a theme/tribe/mechanic present in the entire set in order for this rare to make sense.
If the former is true, we move on to the next rare. If the latter is true, we'll look for the uncommons & commons that fit and then move on to the next rare (which might also be one that fits the same theme). This way, the rares determine which themes (ed) make it to the set.

I think that if we pick rares from different colors / cardtypes, that should also provide some (perhaps even enough) distribution among these dimensions.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
That makes sense.....
Is this going to take a long time?
Can someone put these cards into a program an generate boosters to playtest with?

L

Limited

This'll probably take some time.

I still haven't installed Apprentice or something like that, so I wouldn't know if you can use these programs to create your own boosters (with homemade cards).

When we have selected our set, we could look into to our options. If nothing else works, I could write something myself I guess.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how they add cards in Apprentice, but I do the updates for Magic Suitcase which can also generate boosters. If someone has Excel, I can send you the column names which would need to be filled out...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
I don't know how they add cards in Apprentice, but I do the updates for Magic Suitcase which can also generate boosters. If someone has Excel, I can send you the column names which would need to be filled out...
I have all the cards in an excel workbook, so send me, or post here, the columns and layout and I can email it to the CPA yahoo account Ransac set up.
Ransac can you PM the name and password to Spidey (and me, since I'm a slacker and forgot where I saved it at)...... :eek:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
SORRY! Haven't seen this thread. :D I'm still on board.

I'll send the password and name to you guys.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

Sorry I kinda dropped the ball here lately, but it has been hard keepin up since the recent wedding put me behind at work and at church (I run the video and sound-systems for the services). I should catch back up soon, then can turn my attention over here.

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What's the link to the Yahoo group? I put in the name in the Search Groups field but nothing's coming up...