Complex Automaton/ Damping Engine Combo

K

King of Cheese

Dune did tell me to make a sample deck based on these two cards so that he could improve it, but I haven't been able to find inspiration for any kind of rouge deck. I knew that blue would probably be the best color in t2 for this so I opened apprentice and looked at all blue t2 cards that could possibly work in this kind of deck so that someone else can try to build it. Well here's the list:

1. Arcane Laboratory-you won't be able to play that many permanents anyway so it hurts them more than you
2. Barrin, Master Wizard-slows them down while controlling the amount of permanents that you have
3. Cowardice-maybe a sideboard card, but you can use it to control how many permanents you have
4. Curfew-just like arcane lab, it slows them down more than you
5. Darting Merfolk-a great blocker and can always bounce itself in case of a permanent overload
6. Dissapear-same as cowardice, controls how many creatures you have, might not be so strong because it requires too much mana
7. Fleeting Image-same as darting merfolk
8. Fog Elemental-gets 4 damage through without staying around to hurt your other cards
9. Juxtapose-missed this card the first time, but then it became obvious Give them your dampine engine which you don't need anyway for one of their artifacts and give them a complex automaton which will probably bounce back to your hand anyway
10. Rescue-should be obvious saves your permanents and goes with the whole strategy of the deck
11. Saprazzan Outrigger-another fog elemental type card, gets some damage through and then eventually gets back to your hand where you want it
12. Soldevi Sage-controls how many permanents you have while allowing you to dig into your deck for whatever cards you need
13. Timid Drake-another creature that bounces itself whenever another player plays a creature which is great if you have the damping engine out, might scare them from playing a creature
14. Tinker-both cards in the combo are artifacts, you don't net gain a permanent when you tinker
15. Wizard Mentor-I never knew how many creatures blue had that bounced themselves before! this one works to save a creature or to just plain bounce two of your creatures

All acc spells that cause you to return islands to your hand work too. Please reply with any comments, especially if there are any cards I missed. Somebody better reply cuz I just wasted a lot of time typing this.

D

Duel

Attunement will allow you to get a good look through your library without staying around. Plus storage matrix. Fading might do this deck a world of good. Finally a use for that damn Cloudskate! Plus equilibrium, to trade your creatures for better ones or save your faders.

D

Dune Echo

Dude, I like your ideas. Here's another possible combo for you to add to this idea: Umbilicus and Tangle Wire! They tap 4 permanents and bounce one (or pay 2 life) every turn, you pay 3 mana. Fast artifact mana to help and you've got a something to work with with all the stuff you've listed. I like you're approach.

2 Damping Engine
3 Complex Automaton
3 Umbilicus
3 Tangle Wire
3 Arcane Laboratory
2 Barrin, Wizard Master
4 Fog Elemetal
4 Soldevi Sage
4 Tinker
(So far, this leaves 12 slots for artifact mana, or anything else you want. This is just an idea of what this type of deck may look like.)
20 Islands

King of Cheese, I think you're on to something here. Let's explore this option thoroughly and see if it pans out.

T

theorgg

what about that blue common MM land?
it could provide a big boost for the short time, then poof when it's a bother.

A

Apollo

What does Damping Engine do? And does anyone know a good card database site? I used to go to MoxPerl, but it hasn't worked for me for a while.

Apollo