Common Deck(St(o,a,u)mpy

T

Turtlewax Joe

Hello All! I've been In vited to a Type One tournament using only common cards. I've always loved big green Furries running around, since the first precon I ever baught was the Urva's Legacey deck: CRUSHER i thought it would be a good time to play with the roots that i started the game with! now I present to you...

Stumpy(more commonly refered to as Stampy or Stompy)

4x Spore Frog
4x Pouncing Jaguar
4x Llanowar Elves
2x Heart Warden
2x Elvish herder
4x Wild Dogs

4x Rancor
4x Wild Might
4x Giant Strength
4x Seal of Strength
3x Land Grant
1x Harrow

Let me know what you think. Even if it's,"Just play Counter" all comments and improvements are appriciated!

Thanx, T.J.

M

maraud234

Type 1 tournament eh? I myself almost exclusively play type 2 and sealed, but I've thought about playing type 1.

I'm not clear on all the rules for type 1, enlighten me please.

C

Cateran Emperor

Briar Shield and Rogue Elephant both would do a good job smashing your opponent's head in very quickly, and I think they are both commons. I'll get more for you later, it's just too late to think... ;)

O

olwen

Quick listing:

4 Quirion Ranger
4 Elvish Lyrist
4 Scryb Sprite
4 Wild Dogs
4 Skyshroud Ridgeback
4 Rogue Elephant
4 Muscle Sliver
4 River Boa

4 Giant Growth
4 Briar Shield
4 Rancor
4 Land Grant

12 Forest

Sideboard
3 Emerald Charm
4 Fog
4 Shanodin Dryad
4 Invigorate

Not sure about the number of lands, but should be fine.

Z

Zadok001

Shockingly enough, a friend of mine has a Stompy deck that's rather infamous for sheer power. He runs a very different mix from the norm, with far more pump spells than a standard Stompy deck. As a result, his deck plays more like a pure Burn deck than Stompy, running ~12 Lightning Bolts, which can of course be dangerous.

He also has the honor of having the only Extended decks to feature only two casting costs - One mana, or "Alternate." :)

I'll see if I can get him to post Captain Crunch, as he fondly refers to it...

P

Pezmeister

Originally posted by maraud234
Type 1 tournament eh? I myself almost exclusively play type 2 and sealed, but I've thought about playing type 1.

I'm not clear on all the rules for type 1, enlighten me please.
type 1 is far and away the easiest format to play, but also the most competative and hardest to excel at.

instead of only being able to use the latest two blocks, you can use pretty much every card ever printed. to keep things balanced, there's a banned list (cards you can't, under any circumstances, use - i believe there's only three non-ante cards banned: tempest efreet, chaos orb, and falling star) and a restricted list (cards you can only have one copy of in your deck).

the current banned/restricted lists for t1 can be found at http://www.wizards.com/dci/judge/resources/main.asp?x=judge/resources/sfr_type1

P

Pezmeister

harrow needs to go out, it's way too slow and won't work. play ghazban ogre (a common in chronicles) instead of wild dogs, you shouldn't need the cycling.

if you're splashing red for giant strength, you might as well play kird ape (common in arabian nights) and lightning bolt (common in alpha-4th) too.

also, consider grizzly bears or one of their many, many alternatives for a turn 2 drop.

other than that, your deck looks pretty good.

D

Darkstar

I have never played in a tourney but I know one thing though. My Goblins would stomp your stumps a new pie hole with their maces, and flails, and teeth, and finger nails and such! Uh huh thats what I thought!

T

Turtlewax Joe

Sure........What ever.

Wild Dogs is a Stay for the deck. Quick Damage doesn't effect the drawback and the 2 power for 1 mana is amazing.

I expect to see a blue counter deck floating somewhere also

I'll post a final listing in the next couple of days.........and it WILL be MONO-GREEN, i'm not going to splash anything.

G

Gerode

What is Heart Warden doing there? Play a more aggressive creature.

Decks like that wear out quickly, so you may want to experiment with Multani's Acolyte for some card advantage.

I like olwen's deck more, particularly the Ridgebacks and the Elvish Lyrists. Try to get close to that, if possible. I'd find a way to fit in Wild Mights, though.

I

Istanbul

Elvish Archers are fun too.

How about this?

3x Rogue Elephant
3x Stampede Driver
4x Wild Dogs
4x Pouncing Jaguar
4x Elvish Archers
4x Muscle Sliver
4x River Boa
2x Albino Troll

4x Rancor
4x Giant Growth
4x Briar Shield
4x Land Grant
3x Concordant Crossroads

13x Forest
Rancor is a no-brainer. Giant Growth, ditto. Same with Briar Shield and Land Grant.
Concordant Crossroads is roughly equal to Fires, in that it accelerates all of your creatures by a turn.

Rogue Elephant and Wild Dogs have power higher than their casting cost. That's a Good Thing.
Muscle Sliver can be enormous if you get lucky.
Stampede Driver's +1/+1 and trample to all creatures can push those last few points through.
Elvish Archers and River Boa are 2/1s, but both have good special abilities.
Pouncing Jaguar and Albino Troll are both good for their CC, but you need to remember that they'll eat a turn paying echo, so take it easy on them.

T

Turtlewax Joe

ok......the deck:

4x Pouncing Jaguar
4x River Boa
4x Wild Dogs
4x Spore Frog
4x Skyshroud Ridgeback
4x Rougue Elephant

4x Rancor
4x Briar Shield
4x Giant Growth
4x Wild Might
4x Land Grant

16x Forest

this was really fast listing....sop help is still apreciated

tj

G

Gerode

I'd lose 2 or 3 Forests and 2 Spore Frogs, and replace them with a few Elvish Lyrists and 2-mana creatures.

I

Istanbul

Why Spore Frog? Spore Frog is a staller. You don't want to stall. You're going for blinding speed!

H

Hellion

My take on STOMPY!

mono green that's it...

;)

Creatures (24):
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Rogue Elephant
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Wild Dogs (cycle is an extra you would't mind having yeah?)
4 Skyshroud Ridgeback
4 Scryb Sprite

Spells (18):
4 Rancor
4 Seal of Strength
4 Giant Growth
4 Briar Shield
2 Hurricane (they are uncommon in 5th ed and Ice age)

Lands (18):
18 Forest

You might want to add Mishra Factorys or Treetop Villages...they uncommons too.

;) have fun

T

Turtlewax Joe

What is this uncommon thing you speak of? I said common not uncommon. This is very clear. COMMON only.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Ghazban Ogre is exactly the same as Wild Dogs, except that it's 2/2 and doesn't have cycling. You should probably use both. Use them instead of Spore Frog.
I really think you should consider Seal of Strength. 16 Forests is probably enough without Land Grant, so I'll take two out and put in two Seals of Strength.

I'll make suggested alterations directly to the last deck you posted:

4x Ghazbàn Ogre
4x Rogue Elephant
4x Pouncing Jaguar
4x Wild Dogs
4x Skyshroud Ridgeback
4x River Boa
4x Giant Growth
4x Briar Shield
4x Rancor
2x Seal of Strength
4x Land Grant
4x Wild Might
14x Forest

T

Turtlewax Joe

4x Ghazbàn Ogre
4x Rogue Elephant
4x Pouncing Jaguar
4x Wild Dogs
4x Skyshroud Ridgeback
4x River Boa
4x Grizzly Bear

2x Llanowar Elves

4x Giant Growth
4x Briar Shield
4x Rancor
4x Seal of Strength

4x Land Grant

10x Forest

Look Good?

Z

Zadok001

GRIZZLY BEAR?!?!?!

This is Stompy! Muscle Sliver is better! LOTS of things are better than THAT.