Commander 2014 MP Mayhem!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman and Mooseman have been dueling here with the 2013 Commander decks. I remember how, after the original 2011 Commander decks came out, we tried to start up a game with all five of them, but it went on hiatus and never came back or something. I haven't seen the new 2014 decks in action yet. So I was thinking we should get some more Commander games on. Anyone want to try out the 2014 decks? Or maybe go back to the 2011 ones again? The 2013 ones are some of my favorites anyway, so more of that could be fun too. Anyway, who's up for what? I actually own all fifteen Commander precons, and all of them are fully intact except Counterpunch (I took out three cards for use in my Karador deck, but the sleeves are the same, so I could easily swap them back into the original deck anyway).

R

rokapoke

I'd be up for playing. I like things where I don't have to create my own deck.

I will, however, need to be told the rules for Commander. I have no idea how it works.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Most of the unusual rules surround deck construction, which isn't an issue with pre-built decks. As for gameplay itself...
  • The game starts with each player announcing his/her commander and placing that card in the "command zone" (which is also now officially the same zone that emblems occupy, once cards create emblems, although that wouldn't normally matter) Then players shuffle and draw their opening hands.
  • Commander uses a special mulligan rule. It's like the traditional Paris mulligan, except that players can choose to keep some of their hands and mulligan the rest away, kind of like in five-card draw poker, only you get one fewer cards back from what you put in.
  • While the commander is in the command zone, it may be cast for its mana cost plus 2 more mana for each time it had already been cast from the command zone. So the first time that the commander is cast, its mana cost is normal. The second time it is cast from the command zone, it costs 2 more mana. The third time it is cast from the command zone, it costs 4 more mana, and so on.
  • If a commander would be put into the graveyard or exile from anywhere, its owner may choose to instead move it back to the command zone.
  • Players start with 40 life.
  • Being dealt 21 or more combat damage by a single commander causes a player to lose (this is specific to commanders, and not to creatures as objects under the game rules, so if a commander leaves the battlefield and is later replayed, it is still the same commander and any combat damage that it has dealt is still cumulative toward the 21 damage rule).
I think all of the official preconstructed Commander decks have three possible commanders. The new ones each have a planeswalker that can serve as a commander, with other possible commanders all being legendary creatures.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, since I've never actually played any of the 2014 decks, I'd like to try them. So how about those ones? Who wants to pick a deck first?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
3 Player game? I'm sure the webbed one would love to play, since we have been doing it for a few years (pre-cons that is)
These?
Forged in Stone

Peer Through Time

Sworn to Darkness

Built from Scratch

Guided by Nature

R

rokapoke

I'll look them over tonight and make a choice. Apparently it will be either Peer Through Time, Built From Scratch, or Guided By Nature. I haven't peeked at them at all yet, so if you have a preference you're welcome to pick first.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have no preference, that was just to get the ball rolling.
If you see, Spidey and I will try to pilot each deck, but with this we can play multiple games with the deck combinations available.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So... while we get our decks together, how are we deciding the order? We all roll a d20, highest to lowest is the order?

I got an 18.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All right, here goes. I'm gone tomorrow, so it looks like we'll just get one turn in during the weekend :)

Draw 7, keep. I forget, do I get to draw in a MP/Commander game even if I go first?

Plains

Done

Spidey: 40
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 0/21
Hand: 7
Library: 91
Command Zone: 3WW Nahiri, the Lithomancer (3; +2: Put a 1/1 white Kor Soldier creature token onto the battlefield. I may attach an Equipment I control to it.; -2: I may put an Equipment card from my hand or graveyard onto the battlefield.; -10: Put a colorless Artifact Equipment token named Stoneforged Blade onto the battlefield. It has indestructible; "Equipped creature has +5/+5 and has double strike" and Equip 0.; ~ can be my Commander)

Battlefield:

(U) Plains

Graveyard:
Exile:
===================================================================
Oversoul: 40
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 0/21
Hand: 7
Library: 92
Command Zone:

Battlefield:

Graveyard: