Collumns - not just for Sega anymore

Ferret

Staff member
I was thinking, if many of us are going to have weekly collumns (is that spelled correctly? Mental note: buy dictionary) wouldn't it be nice to give them all spiffy titles...like, I was thinking my weekly babbling could be called "Ferret's Paws" (without the quote marks) and the rest of us regular writers could come up w/ one...for real fun w/ can make fancy logos and then turn them into T-Shirts and sell them by the thousand, and then the movie deals will come in and next thing you know we're presenting awards at the 2000 MTv Music Video Awards...it could happen.

-ferret

"...I just had the strangest dream..." "that wasn't a dream - you were sleep-posting again"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I like it, I like it. Hey, how about "TomBstones" for mine. Cool, huh?

TomB
CPA Member
"...of course, now I've got to write something..."

B

Baron Sengir

I call mine View from the Commons Bin. I think it is kind of fitting.

I remain
The Baron

B

bane

I want to write a column but need some topics. Any ideas, and what are other people doing currently? Thanks...

.oO(bane)Oo.

"hrmmm..."

W

Waubers

I could do a column about dealing in magic cards. It could tak about what cards are hot right now and I could to something about collecting. I find myself talking more about how much cards are selling/trading for and how difficult they are to get than technical stuff. I still love the idea of doing stuff on the story line, favor text, & art so if you want a topic Bane you could do something on that (I'll gladly help). I suppose if I had a column it would have to be something like "Waubers the card Pimp" (I was called this once and I stil don't know why) or a title that would pertain to trading and collecting. Any input?

Waubers

"Its far to early to come up with a clever quote"

B

bane

I'd like a column about random stuff. I'd call it "The Junk Drawer". I just finished an article for it. I sent it in, lemme know what ya think...

.oO(bane)Oo.

the deranged one

p.s. - waubers I love the storyline and the stuff you suggested I do but as of right now I'm not aloud to read the magic books, but that may change soon...

D

Drik2

Hmmm
COLUMNS... one "l" Ferret...I think...
My inputs/writing will have to do with collecting, set history, prices, trendy cards, and the such; how about "Four of a kind" (I have a thing about collecting player's sets)

Z

Zadok001

Well, I'll wirte occasionally pieces, but nothing day-to-day or week-to-week. When I do write, I'll be writing about cards that will affect the enviroment and how to defeat them without playing with them. i.e., Masticore.

I'll submit my first article approximately "whenever I feel like it."

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

N

nekrataal

I would like to contribute decks and such. Maybe an article once in a while about under used cards. I can't promise weekly things, though. I'm have a busy enough schedule this summer as it is and when school starts up it'll be worse.

I'm not sure what I would call my articles... Nekrataal doesn't seem to have too much meaning. Is it just a word R&D made up? Or does it actually refer to something. It better not be an anagram like "Mr. Toilet" is for Telim' Tor.

"Nekrataal is an anagram for...? nothing..."

D

Dune Echo

No offense meant by this, Zodak, but isn't that idea rather pro-player category? That sounds rather metagamish to me and I don't think that's what we wish to represent. I could be blowing smoke out of my ass here and I'm not trying to be outta line on someone else's opinions and writing subjects, but that sounds like something I'd find on the front of the Dojo. How about an article on how to craft a deck around just a few of a powerful card for those who can't afford to have four Cursed Scroll or Masticore. Everyone loves them but not everyone can get them. I remember once when I had only one Viashino Sandstalker and a Portugese Worldly Tutor (I have five Sandstalkers now that I don't use anymore and still only one Tutor, alas) and I tried to make it so I could get my Viashino out everytime and ways to bring him back into play, and all just because I only had one Viashino Sandstalker and I loved the artwork. (This sounds like a perfect article for the CPA.)

WAIT!!! This is my next article, so no one can steal this, okay?

So, Zodak or anyone else out there, if you want another possible idea if you don't want to do your original idea anymore, how about you pick a card that no one ever really uses in a tournament and turn that card into a easy to put together deck for newbies, casual, or just plain cheap players. I'd love to do an article on Elvish Berserker and Skyshroud Elite. (Paolo Parente is the man!)

I'm really not trying to sound pompous here, so no one post hate mail or anything. Just offering up my humble opinion.

Dune Echo

... For instance, although Magnify sucks like an egg-stealing dinosaur, it does have some extremely narrow uses...

D

Dune Echo

Excuse me, again, Zadok, I completely misspelled your name and wish to apologize. Also, I'd like to remind you that you took "crap" rares like Greater Good and turned them into great cards. Do it again with something else! I'd love to see what you could come up with if you can do that with Greater Good, not that it sucks, just not my first choice in buying a card.

Sorry about the double posts, guys.

Dune Echo

"This monstrosity will do--for now." Davvol, Evincar of Rath

(Hey, has anyone noticed how close Davvol is to Devil? I don't want those crazy Anti-Magic mothers to come after us again!)

Ferret

Staff member
Actually, I don't think it would be too bad to do the occasional tourney report - there are lots of tourneys that are not DCI santionned (thrown a few, myself) and it would be nice to see what the people that want to win, but don't really care about the Pro Tour are doing...

...not to mention if one of us did try to go to a PTQ, PreRelease or whatever, it would be nice to see how a player that doesn't insist on putting four Masitcores or Cursed Scrolls in every deck does...

-ferret

"...You're playing Green? Do you want to just concede now?"

W

Waubers

I don't see anything wrong with building and discussing competitive decks. I think the whole reason everyone here plays magic is to have fun and the competition. Without competition what the point? I love playing in my local tournaments, I never win and I always get stomped by that one guy playing bargain but I still play. The fun part is playing all those other decks that you see, the theme decsk. At almost every tourny localy I've ever played in, someone plays a goblin/mog deck. The bottom line is most people play magic because they're competitive and want to have fun, so I see no problem with a little stratigy on the web site.

Waubers

"You're mogg infestationing all my critters, damn! OK I'll just play a coat of armz!"

Ferret

Staff member
Well, that's what we have to remember: it's not just how you play the game, but it's also whether you win or lose...Now, I'm not condoning people who play psycho decks just to win, but I've never designed a deck just to lose...

-ferret

"...and that counts my Sorrow's Path deck!"

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm...well, we know this is wrong section for this, but I might have a French Wild Growth I can send you...have to skim my binders...

-ferret

"...it has much nice colours than my Revised one..."

Z

Zadok001

Hey all! Just got back from a short hiatus from my CPU, so I haven't posted recently.

You are correct, Dune, in that what I wrote about what I would be writing (mental note: that made no sense. Must get more that 30 mins of sleep) is pretty pro-oriented. Let me rephrase: I want to show that the latest Tech isn't a requirement, quite the contrary. It is a weakness, in that it makes a deck too predictable. I want to show casual players how to build unique, unpredictable decks...

Mmmmm.... Greater Good.... Mmmm... Serra Avatar.... Mmmmm.... Combined..... WOW!

Oh, and nekrataal isn't an anagram. Nekra is derived from a Greek word, Nekros, meaning "corpse." From that we also derive Necromancy, etc... 'Taal apparently means language, or spoken. Thus, Nekrataal means "Corpse Speaker," I think.

Damn, my eyes hurt. The OED is hard to read...

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Hey, Zadok, that is pretty cool! Thanx.

And about not posting high tide/bargain type combo decks I agree. But we shouldn't ban all combo decks. Donate is hardly a tourney worthy combo deck. (On that subject, I bought 3 destiny packs today, and I get a donate, flicker, and opalesence. If that last destiny was a legacy, it probably would have been a delusions.)

-mike

D

Dune Echo

Well, first, I'd like to apologize to Zadok. I misread your post TWICE! I didn't realize that you meant to write about how to fight AGAINST Masticore decks and such. My mistake. So, please write that article because I have yet to face a Masticore deck and don't have the faintest on how to deal with them extensively. What in Standard besides Splinter can take care of them? I could use that info. Also, your writing idea sounds great. I just misunderstood what you'd be writing about.

Also, I think we should allow tourney-level decks in. They just have to be not your average "all rares with a decklist everyone knows" like Sligh and the (now) World Championships decks. Those are strictly to kill your opponent. Whoo-hoo!

N

nekrataal

I think we should let in the tourney viable decks once in a while. I've got a T2 Enchantress deck that could hold its own in a tournament, but is also a lot of fun to play casually. But I do think we should draw the line at High Tide decks and such. Those are just pure combo that are only made to win and theres no fun in them.

BTW, does any one have any foreign black border or beta Verduran Enchantresses and Wild Growths? I'm trying to upgrade the old girl.

-nekrataal
"Wait a minute! That Llanowar Elf is in Chinese, how do we really know he taps for green..."