Chronicles of Narnia

N

NeuroDeus

All of a sudden two days ago I started reading again the Chronicles of Narnia and now I am to the 6 Part "The Silver Chair". I forgot all about how the stories were and believe me its like remebering when I was younger... I live the stories... YOU?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I was 5 when I first started reading them. These stories were the first I had read in which anybody died.

Ransac, cpa trash man

G

Gerode

I remember doing a project on the books in 4th grade. I read most of them, but I think I stopped around the second to last book because it was really weird. I've completely forgotten everything about the books, though.

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm a longtime (as in, more than 20 years) fan.

I've recently gotten into the Harry Potter books, and they make me feel the same way that C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia did. Like a kid again.

I really could believe that you could walk into a wardrobe and out into another world. And now I'm tempted to believe that I can catch the train at Platform 9-and-three-quarters King's Cross station, and ride to Hogwarts Academy. (But I refuse to blieve that I'm all-Muggle ;)).

Z

Zadok001

The Naria series is an old favorite of mine, as well - I have the whole series sitting calmly on my book shelf next to The White Dragon and 2001. :) Whee...

There's another book, the Tower of Geburah (or a similar title) that is also excellent, and follows a very similar quasi-Christian plotline. It's really on-par with the Naria series.

As a side question, does anyone know where I can acquire an .mp3 of the introduction music from the Naria TV series? I've been looking for that thing since the dawn of time!

A

arhar

Narnia books are great, one of the best in the genre. I have read a LOT of sci/fi and fantasy literature, and Narnia shares the pedestal with LoTR and Dragonlance Chronicles :)

T

terzarima

The series really confused me as a child, expecially the one with the ship and the prince. But I reread them a while ago, and much more sense was made, but I still found them a tad crazy. Good books, as everyone already mentioned

C

Chaos Turtle

Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite of all of them.
I didn't really like The Final Battle, but then the allegory was positively stifling in that one.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ive read them all except for "The Final Battle"

Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite too!

Killer Joe

I have a five-year-old who definitly likes fantasy oriented entertainment here are some of her favorite movies: The Princess Bride, Time Bandits, Neverending Story,...
Do any of you have recommendations of books of these themes (age appropiate, of course)?

Z

Zadok001

When said five-year-old gets older, Ender's Game is a great book that everyone should read several times. :) And the sequels are quite strong too.

Flight of Dragons, if you can find it, is a neat old animated movie that fits the themes of the ones you mentioned... Try that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but how much older? I'd say that's good for 12-15 range... those books are pretty heady stuff.

Now that I think about it, there's the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. The Disney movie The Black Cauldron is based off of it, although it really combines the first book (The Horned King?) with the second (The Black Cauldron). It's some neat fantasy, although some "scary" images probably suggest your kid should be about 8 or so (unless he/she can handle the images in the movie).

Also, I don't know if there's books on them, but I'm thinking the movies Secret of Nimh and Dark Crystal might be okay, if not for a five year old then maybe 6 or 7.