Changes to Deathtouch

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/97

So now it's more intuitive?
  2. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Ok, I know I have been out of the loop for a while, but that example did not make much sense. I thought all the damage would have to be assigned to that creature before any could trample over to an opponent. Regardless of Deathtouch (or the even better Thicket Baslisk). Am I mistaken about trample? Or does the deathtouch kill the creature the moment it takes one damage so that the rest CAN trample through to the player?
  3. turgy22 Nothing Special

Yeah, I think this is how it works now. This particular interaction is definitely not intuitive for me, but I don't think I've played a single game where I had to use the Magic2010 ruling.
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, from the M10 rules:

So maybe they're considering deathtouch as lethal dmg and thus counts as being able to assing just one point to a blocking creature? I don't know, they'll need to clear that up.
  5. Modus Pwnens Eligible for User Title

"702.2b Any nonzero amount of combat damage assigned to a creature by a source with deathtouch is considered to be lethal damage, regardless of that creature's toughness."
  6. Shabbaman insert avatar here

It makes sense to me. Still, why Grave Titan has Deathtouch does not make sense to me.
  7. train The Wildcard!!!...

My guess is because its a Zombie... usually, when they touch you, things don't turn out so well...;)

"Haven't you seen Zombieland"... :D
  8. Shabbaman insert avatar here

Zombieland is awesome.

It would make sense if Grave Titan was a zombie. It's not a zombie though, it's a titan. There are no other titans with deathtouch.
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant