Casualties of War - Updates

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey all-

I recently sent out copies of the current card list for Casualties of War to a few members.

In this forum, I'll post the replies and commentary, and solicit your opinions and suggestions.

Post your specific suggestions here, taking care not to repeat to much of what has come before. Please only post cards in this forum that are suggestions or revisions for cards already in the set.

If you don't see a card here that you're sure should be included, don't worry. These are not all the cards in the set. They're only the cards that are in need of a little more revision, and may even be cut if we can't fix them.

I've not taken too much time to work with formatting these messages, so kindly pardon any messiness.

An updated (and hopefully complete) card list will be posted to the front page in a couple of weeks. Please be patient. After finalizing flavor texts and such, the cards will be coded for Apprentice use and run through some tests for bugs, then the totally unofficial and hopefully very fun patch will be released.

I'll also use this forum to post updates and request finalized versions of namesake Legends, etc...

TomB is working on storyline and flavor texts. I'll wait and see if he wants to post updates/ suggestions here or in a seperate forum. Please don't go wild with suggestions for storyline and flavor texts until you see what we've cooked up for you. ;)

Thanks to everyone who's submitted cards for this set, and to everyone who's been helping out (which I think is just about everyone, at some point).

C

Chaos Turtle

What follow are Gizmo's suggestions for the black cards (in "quotes").
Cards which were not specifically commented on are omitted.

My suggested revisions follow Gizmo's.
Please feel free to add your own feedback.

Other colors will be posted as Gizmo sends them in.

Thanks!
======================================

"I felt Black lacked certain core themes, such as common removal and graveyard recursion. What it DID have a lot of was discard, far too much in fact. Discard is a very powerful and above all unpleasant effect and random discard especially so (why Hyppie was banned). Wherever appropriate I have tried to replace a random discard with chosen as random discard is an extremely unpopular ability.
I also liked the ‘Pied Ratcatcher’ card so much I wanted to emphasise Rats as a theme for the set - several cards have been reprinted or renamed in order to make Rats a viable decktype in the format."

EXISTING CARDS

Banishing Imp
Uncommon
Creature - Minion
2B
1/2
When Banishing Imp is put into a graveyard from play, you may remove Banishing Imp from the game. If you do, destroy target non-black creature; it can't be regenerated.

"It would be unusual to see a 1/2 creature in black - obviously here to make the Imp harder to kill but I would want to make it a 1/1 creature, probably even a 2/1 because it`s an Uncommon so won`t unbalance limited too badly. As it doesn`t fly there`s no reason to have it as an Imp and I think it fits better as a Rat, so I would also rename it ‘Black Rat’ and make it Creature-Rat."
=
Suggested revision:

Deadly Vermin
Uncommon
Creature - Rats
2B
2/1
When ~ is put into a graveyard from play, you may remove ~ from the game. If you do, destroy target non-black creature; it can't be regenerated.
=

Brain Feeder
Uncommon
Creature - Horror
2BB
2/2
Cannot be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures. If Brain Feeder deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 1 life. If you do, that player discards a card at random.

"My only concern here is that if you change the discard effect this card becomes almost a straight reprint of ‘Order Of Yawgmoth’ from Saga. I`d cut the random discard down to ‘of their choice’ and then make it a 3/1 creature in order to avoid comparisons."
=
Brain Feeder
Uncommon
Creature - Horror
2BB
3/1
Cannot be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.
If ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 1 life. If you do, that player chooses and discards a card.
=

Diabolic Dilemma
Uncommon
Sorcery
B
Target player may discard a card at random. If he or she does not, remove the top four cards of that player's library from the game.

"Removing the top four cards of their library is a weak ability and almost every time you would choose to do so rather than lose a card from your hand. I would make the discard chosen and the optional effect would be to remove their graveyard from the game. Another version would be to discard a chosen card or to remove a card of your choice from their library, like Rootwater Thief. Probably the latter ability would need the cost boosting to 1B."
=
This one's tough... I kind of liked the removal choice, but was originally at 6 cards, which several members thought was too powerful. The Thief ability seems alright, if a little blue. Has black ever done anything like this before?
I wonder if, using the Thief idea, it could be made UB (considering the recent news that multicolor cards are coming back big)?
=

Forboding Ritual
Common
Instant
B
Add to your mana pool an amount of black mana equal to the number of Forboding Ritual cards in all graveyards plus 2.

"Fine as it is, but if we want to replace Dark Ritual then how about just adding 3 colorless instead? Also needs a punchier name if people are going to be playing with lots of them."
=
(no suggestion)
=

Foundation of Horror
Rare
Enchantment
BBB
Creatures you control gain Swampwalk and "B: Regenerate this creature."
When Foundation of Horror is put into a graveyard from play, you may discard two cards at random from your hand. If you do, return Foundation of Horror to its owner's hand.

"As mentioned I`ve got a real problem with the ‘Foundation’ cards as they stand. This one is relatively balanced but I would make the ‘buyback’ cost sacrificing two Swamps because that makes the BBB casting cost more of a restriction on putting them into multicolor decks."
=
Foundation of Horror
Rare
Enchantment
3BB
Creatures you control gain Swampwalk and "B: Regenerate this creature."
When ~ is put into a graveyard from play, you may sacrifice two swamps to return ~ to its owner's hand.
=

Haunting Spirit
Uncommon
Creature - Spirit
2B
Haunting Spirit has flying as long as you control any blue permanents.
Haunting Spirit has haste as long as you control any red permanents.

"I assume this is a 2/2 creature? (oops! - CT) I like this idea, like the Mirage Guildmages, and I would like to see one in each colour. Flying, Haste, Trample, First Strike, and Regenerate being the five abilities. Might want to give it a distinctive Noun, so we can have a Haunting version, a Holy version, a Raging version..."
=
Haunting Ekmar
Uncommon
Creature - Spirit
2B
2/2
~ has flying as long as you control any blue permanents.
~ has haste as long as you control any red permanents.
=

Lycanthropy
Uncommon
Enchant Creature
BB
Enchanted creature loses all abilties and becomes a 3/2 creature.Sacrifice Lycantropy: Regenrate enchanted creature.

"A very nice card, I like this idea A LOT. A BB casting cost is possibly a little harsh for a card that is mainly going to see play in limited, 1B would be better."
=
(1B it is)
=

Mind Eater
Rare
Creature - Horror
B
3/2
When Mind Eater comes into play, remove the top eight cards of your library from the game or sacrifice Mind Eater. Mind Eater can't block.

"And I thought Sarcomancy was good! The downside of removing cards is almost nonexistant in a fast black deck, which is why Demonic Consultation is so good. Lose that part and give it an upkeep of B, which along with making sure no other good monsters get printed for B should make it quite fair. But still really good."
=
Being a little attached to the mechanic...

Mind Eater
Rare
Creature - Horror
1B
3/2
When ~ comes into play, remove the top eight cards of your library from the game or sacrifice ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove the top two cards of your library from the game or sacrifice ~.
Mind Eater can't block.
=

(*snip* suggestion for Obsidian Cavalry)
=
(dropped pro: white option and raised toughness to 2... not quite as good as a pump-knight)

Obsidian Cavalry
Uncommon
Creature - Knight
BB
2/2
B: First Srike until end of turn.
B: Protection from green until end of turn.
=

Obsidian Charm
Common
Instant
1B
Choose one - Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn, or Destroy target creature that was damaged this turn, or Target player chooses and discards a card.

"Middle ability is out of theme. How about a set of abilities like this: +1/-1 \chosen discard \ swampwalk"
=
I'm not quite sure what "out of theme" means here. The ability is Fatal Blow, minus the "can't regenerate."
=

Pack of Lies
Common
Sorcery
BB
Target player discards a card at random. If another Pack of Lies is on the stack, you may play Pack of Lies as an instant without
paying its mana cost.
Man, you are so full of crap!

"As described I think the ‘Pack’ effect is weak when applied to non-permanents so I would cut this card from the set, a similar card using the ‘Welkin’ mechanic is in the list of new card suggestions."
=
(see bottom of message for new card suggestions)
=

Pied Ratcatcher
Rare
Creature - Mercenary
2BB
2/2
3,Tap: Search your library for a Rat card and put it into play.

"Lose the word ‘Pied’ from the name. Please. I beg you."
=
Hmm... Malfurgan Ratcatcher?
Also, it's not absolutely necessary for this card to be a mercenary, unless you're among the people who feel that mercs could really use a little boost.
=

(*snip* made a small revision to Revile)
=
Revile
Uncommon
Instant
1BB
Choose one - Remove target non-black, non-artifact creature from the game or remove target creature card in any graveyard from the game.
"You suck."
=

Rot Outbreak
Rare
Enchantment
1BB
When Rot Outbreak comes into play, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature in play.
Each creature gains, "Remove a -1/-1 counter from this creature: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.”

"When I first saw this card I thought it the most innovative card printed in a long time. Unfortunately it doesn`t work as it stands.
eg. We both have a 2/2 creature in play, I cast Rot Outbreak. We each now have a 1/1 creature but I use my ability to move the -1/-1 from mine onto yours, in response you move your -1/-1 from your creature onto mine. We got nowhere. Repeat ad infinitum.
We need to make the movement of counters something your have to pay for “1, remove a...” or something similar. The effect is so nice I want to keep it in the set if possible but it needs reworking."
=
How about either adding 1 or "tap" to the activation? Both?
=

(Rune of Banishment was so broken that Gizmo said, "Delay is godawful ability. Cut this card." I'm inclined to agree, but would also like to suggest a fix. - CT)
=
Rune of Banishment
Common
Enchantment
1B
~ comes into play with 2 delay counters on it.
Whenever a creature is put into your graveyard from play, you may remove a delay counter from ~.
If there are no delay counters on ~, it has, "Sacrifice Rune of Banishment: Destroy target creature. It can't regenerate."
=

(see Rune of Banishment, above - CT)
=
Rune of Consumption
Uncommon
Enchantment
1BB
Whenever you are dealt damage by a source you don't control, you may remove a delay counter from ~.
If there are no delay counters on ~, it has, "Sacrifice Rune of Consumption: Target player loses 4 life. You gain 4 life."
=

Skeletal Boa
Uncommon
Creature - Snake
2B
3/3
Swampwalk.
Creatures blocking Skeletal Boa gain first strike until end of turn.

"Make it a common."
=
Okay. It's a common. :)
=

Sloppy Sutures
(*snip* card text)

"Remove ACC, there`s no need to have it there really and it just complicates the card, drop casting cost to B."
=
Sloppy Sutures
Common
Instant
B
Regenerate target creature. If it regenerates this way this turn, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
=

Spirit of the Grave
Rare
Creature - Spirit
2BB
0/2
Flying.
Whenever Spirit of the Grave deals combat damage, Spirit deals that much damage to each creature and player.
1B: +1/+1 until end of turn.

"Hmm, I`d rather it were a Drain Life than a bad Thrashing Wumpus to be honest."
=
We could try...

Restless Spirit
Rare
Creature - Ghost
2BB
0/2
Flying.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage, you gain that much life.
1B: +1/+1 until end of turn.
=

Terrorism
Rare
Sorcery
2BB
Search target player's graveyard for a creature card. Put it into play under its owner's control, then search his or her hand, library, and graveyard for all copies of that card. Remove those cards from the game.
There it stood -- a lone Origami Dragon -- a cruel reminder to Caspar of all those he had lost.

"I like this card, but I don`t see why you would often want to give your opponent a creature just to remove the others because he`ll just thank you and hit you over the back of the head with it. Using it on yourself makes it the worst reanimator card ever printed. To compensate simply have the creature coming into play under your control regardless of who owns it. Might want to
raise casting cost to BB3 to compensate."
=
This seems awfully strong, but here goes...

Terrorism
Rare
Sorcery
3BB
Search target player's graveyard for a creature card and put it into play under your control. Reveal that player's hand, library, and graveyard and remove all copies of that card from the game.

A lot like Bribery (the obvious inspiration) but stronger in that it removes copies - which balances it when used on yourself - and can only search for dead creatures.
The other wording change is to ensure that players don't play the spell on themselves and "fail" to find the copies.
=

Traitorous Imp
Uncommon
Creature - Minion
1B
2/1
Flying.
When Traitorous Imp deals damage, target opponent gains 1 life.

"Either make it Common or 2/2. It`ll still suck, but just not so hard."
=
I vote for making it common.
=

Voiding
Uncommon
Instant
BB
Remove target non-black creature or land from the game. Remove target creature or land of opponent's choice from the game.

"Really wary about giving Black a new Sinkhole, even if it is actually an expensive Raze. Probably okay as it is, but HAS to be a Sorcery."
=
Agreed. I must have been snoozing when I put it as an instant. :\
=

Diabolic Compromise
Rare
Enchantment
2BBB
Skip your draw step.
B, Pay 1 life: Draw a card. If you have 7 or more cards in your hand, counter this ability.
He craves only one commodity, but he'll take what he can get.
=
No comment was given for this card, but there's been a some talk about the ability still being broken with anything that lets one discard at instant speed.
I certainly see the point there, and wonder if there's a "simple" fix. I'm leaning toward (at least) restricting the ability to a particular step (upkeep?) or making playable only when one could play a sorcery.
Suggestions?
=

REPRINTS

"Definitely not enough common removal, so I would reprint the old combo of a limited and a tourney common removal spell. Edict is a superb card and deals with Morphling and Masticore which should please many CPA members. Feast Or Famine is an interesting decision card for limited play, a nice card to have around in the environment.
Also want to boost the Rat population a little - Plague Rats would be poor for limited, but Pestilence Rats are more balanced and arguably better, Crypt Rats give us a Pestilence effect, another black trait missing so far."

Diabolic Edict, Tempest Common
(reprinted as a Common)

Feast Or Famine, Alliances Common
(reprinted as a Common)

Crypt Rats, Visions Common
(reprinted as an Uncommon)

Pestilence Rats, Ice Age Common
(reprinted as Common)

Nocturnal Raid, Visions Uncommon
(reprinted as Uncommon)
=
Scared of WotC. :-\
But willing to reconsider. :)
=

NEW CARDS
(did some minor editing to fit current templates - CT)

"More Rats, and the two cards with my new ‘Welkin’ mechanic."

Pack Of Rats
Common
Creature - Rat
1BB
2/2
When Pack Of Rats comes into play you may put a Pack Of Rats card into play if you have one in your hand.

Swarm Of Vermin
Rare
Sorcery
B3
Put X 1/1 black Rat creature tokens into play under your control, where X is equal to the number of creatures put into all graveyards from play so far this turn.

Brood Rat
Uncommon
Creature - Rat
B3
2/2
When Brood Rat comes into play, put two 1/1 black Rat creature tokens into play under your control.

(Good heavens! Are you trying to break Pestilence Rats? ;^) )

Endless Undeath
Common
Sorcery
B1
Return target creature card in your graveyard to your hand. You may search your library for another Endless Undeath card and put into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Endless Lies
Uncommon
Sorcery
BB1
Target player chooses and discards a card from their hand. You may search your library for another Endless Lies card and put into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Thoughts?

David Sutcliffe
==========================================

There you have it!
Discuss.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Rot Outbreak
Rare
Enchantment
1BB
When Rot Outbreak comes into play, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature in play.
Each creature gains, "Remove a -1/-1 counter from this creature: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.”

"When I first saw this card I thought it the most innovative card printed in a long time. Unfortunately it doesn`t work as it stands.
eg. We both have a 2/2 creature in play, I cast Rot Outbreak. We each now have a 1/1 creature but I use my ability to move the -1/-1 from mine onto yours, in response you move your -1/-1 from your creature onto mine. We got nowhere. Repeat ad infinitum.
We need to make the movement of counters something your have to pay for “1, remove a...” or something similar. The effect is so nice I want to keep it in the set if possible but it needs reworking."
=
How about either adding 1 or "tap" to the activation? Both?
Another option would be "play this ability as a sorcery", but I don't really like that. (Insane amount of advantage to caster on caster's turn)

Personally, I think "1, Tap:" maybe the best

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'd almost rather there were more undead running around, but rats are fairly disgusting too. I think they'd work great!

There is one thing though. I know we're a little short of common Black creatures, and it would help the storyline along a bit if some of the new ones were human, so more Mercs and/or Knights would be good too.

Plus, it's hard to get good quotes from rats. ;)

About the storyline, I think I will go ahead and start a separate thread for that discussion. Unfortunately, I can't do it right now as it's late and I haven't been to bed yet. I'll flesh it out a bit more and post something tomorrow night probably.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Endless Undeath
Common
Sorcery
B1
Return target creature card in your graveyard to your hand. You may search your library for another Endless Undeath card and put into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

-I think this ability is AWESOME! It's very interesting. I also like the hange of the "pack" cards so tehy dont mention the stack. For Rot outbreak, "1, T:" I think is fair.

I

Istanbul

*cracks knuckles* Time for MY opinions.

Deadly Vermin - Fair, but isn't there already a creature by that name?

Brain Feeder - I'd rather drop it down to a 2/1 and keep the discard random. Random discards are very rare and powerful, so I don't think there should be a LOT, but they aren't as powerful as Coercion effects.

Diabolic Dilemma - Remove their entire graveyard from the game, for B?! Who WOULDN'T choose the much tamer price of choosing and losing a card from hand? Also, if you cast this when your opponent has no cards in hand, it's like Tormod's Crypt!

Foreboding Ritual - Punchier name? Oh, come ON. Shall I cite Thermokarst, Welkin Hawk, Ydwen Efreet? Foreboding Ritual is just fine. Also, why make it colorless? Isn't the whole point the ability to make black mana?

Foundation of Horror - Already very costly (5 mana) and will only grant regeneration more often than not. Any intelligent player will just let it die, if it goes to their graveyard. Also, at BBB to cast, it's already pretty much unsplashable.

Haunting Spirit - Agreed.

Lycanthropy - Swamp, Ritual, Carnophage, Lycanthropy. Here comes my 3/2 creature, and if you somehow kill it, it reverts to a 2/2. Think about it.

Mind Eater - Nobody will super-mill themselves every turn just for a 3/2 creature. An upkeep of B is more fair. The inability to block and removing a large chunk of your library from the game is drawback enough.

Obsidian Cavalry - Agreed.

Obsidian Charm - Fixed as-is.

Pack of Lies -

Pack of Lies BB
Common
Enchantment
Sacrifice Pack of Lies: Target player discards a card at random from his or her hand.
If a Pack of Lies card was put into your graveyard from play this turn, you may play this card without paying its mana cost.

Pied Ratcatcher - Why not just 'Ratcatcher'? Also, all the other searchers (S. Poacher, Moggcatcher, Seahunter) have been rebels or mercenaries, so this really ought to be as well.

Revile - Me likey. Keep.

Rot Outbreak - Add 1, Tap target creature you control: Remove blah blah...

Rune of Banishment - Pretty fair, actually. It's like a Dark Banishing that can kill anything, but it costs less because it's a little harder to activate.

Rune of Consumption - Now, THAT'S broken. If I'm at 4 life or less, I can't hurt you, because you can just pop the Rune and kill me. Make it have 4 delay counters.

Skeletal Boa - Definitely a common.

Sloppy Sutures - Agreed.

Spirit of the Grave / Restless Spirit - Make it 'deals combat damage to target PLAYER, you gain that much life'. Otherwise, it's a lifegain machine.

Terrorism - No, you should raise the casting cost to 3BB as is and pray someone doesn't break it. I use it to fetch my Serra Avatar, Morphling, or Masticore...I'll use it to get your best creature, then Vendetta/Terror/etc the remaining copy...etc.

Traitorous Imp - Make it a 3/1, and leave as is. Otherwise, it sucks so much that it might as well not get printed.

Voiding - Agreed. It MUST be a sorcery.

Diabolic Compromise - Why not just print it on the card? 'Use this ability no more than three times per turn.'

Pack of Rats - Can I pay 1BB for four 2/2 creatures? Hell no. Make it 2BB and 2/1, that would be fair. As it is...man, Scathe Zombies are 2B for a 2/2, and they don't go get friends.

Swarm of Vermin - Make it cost 1BB. Odds are, you won't have a ton of creatures put into a graveyard in one turn...or you could Wrath, then Swarm. This makes it a bit more difficult to splash.

Brood Rat - Balanced.

Endless Undeath - Balanced.

Endless Lies - Balanced.

-------------------------------------------------------

Idea:

Rat Lord 2BB
Rare
Creature - Rat Legend
2/1
All rats in play get +1/+1 and swampwalk.
"They were dangerous enough without a leader. Now, they may be unstoppable."

G

Gizmo

"Deadly Vermin - Fair, but isn't there already a creature by that name?"

I know a Diseased Vermin.

"Diabolic Dilemma - Remove their entire graveyard from the game, for B?! Who WOULDN'T choose the much tamer price of choosing and losing a card from hand?"

Anybody not using graveyard recursion? Ie...90% of decks?
If they want to keep their graveyard they just lose a card - so you only get a Tormod`s Crypt if a) They care about it, and b) they have NO cards in hand.

"Foreboding Ritual - Punchier name? Oh, come ON. Shall I cite Thermokarst, Welkin Hawk, Ydwen Efreet? Foreboding Ritual is just fine."

Yes, but they weren`t four-of-a-kind cards.
I like Dark Omen, because that`s what your opponent gets when he sees you make Swamp, Omen...

"Also, why make it colorless? Isn't the whole point the ability to make black mana?"

Not specifically, just to get a fast rush of mana. A 2-1 boost like Forboding Ritual is weak, whilst a 3-1 colourless swap is still powerful but retards it`s use to the second turn and probably takes it out of many combo decks, which would be able to abuse the cumulative effect of Forboding Ritual.
I`m open about this though, neither is obviously better.

"Foundation of Horror - Already very costly (5 mana) and will only grant regeneration more often than not. Any intelligent player will just let it die, if it goes to their graveyard. Also, at BBB to cast, it's already pretty much unsplashable."

My vision of Foundation is for 5 cards, costing BBB1, RRR1 etc. These will be cards that benefit a mono-coloured deck and are DELIBERATELY hard to splash, encouraging mono decks as much as Necro did for black. They also encourage a slow deck in that colour, not a fast deck.
My current green version is in mind as:
GGG1
Enchantment
Forests tap for GG.
All creatures you control gain +1/+1 and "G: Regenerate".
When it dies you can sac two Forests to pick it up.

"Mind Eater - Nobody will super-mill themselves every turn just for a 3/2 creature."

I would. Every turn of the four turns it takes for me to bury your head six feet under. Trust me, Suicide is a deck I know inside out and milling yourself is no sort of threat at all, might as well not be there. There was a reason why they all played 4 Demonic Consultation you know.

"Rot Outbreak - Add 1, Tap target creature you control: Remove blah blah..."

I think tapping the creature is too harsh. You can use it to simply force your opponent to tap his creatures every turn to keep them alive (and so he`s never actually able to attack you).

"Spirit of the Grave / Restless Spirit - Make it 'deals combat damage to target PLAYER, you gain that much life'. Otherwise, it's a lifegain machine."

Agreed.

"Terrorism - No, you should raise the casting cost to 3BB as is and pray someone doesn't break it. I use it to fetch my Serra Avatar, Morphling, or Masticore...I'll use it to get your best creature, then Vendetta/Terror/etc the remaining copy...etc."

It can only get dead creatures you know. The argument of "well, here`s your one and only Masticore and here`s my Vendetta" is terrible because:
1) You already killed the bastard once to be able to get it back with Terrorism
2) You then need to kill it AGAIN!
3) Or I could use Eradicate instead and only use 1 card in place of 3...
I think it`s fine as I gave it - good, playable, but also fine.

"Traitorous Imp - Make it a 3/1, and leave as is. Otherwise, it sucks so much that it might as well not get printed."

A 3/1? For real?
As 2/2 it`s still a damn good blocker and at 3/1 it becomes great!

"Diabolic Compromise - Why not just print it on the card? 'Use this ability no more than three times per turn.'"

Because when you give a card so many restrictions you have to ask why you are printing it in the first place, if the ability is so good you can`t let them use it...
Personally I think the way it costs B is a severe limitation, only makes it breakable by Cad Bloom I think.

"Pack of Rats - Can I pay 1BB for four 2/2 creatures? Hell no."

Yes, if you`re holding all four of them...

"Make it 2BB and 2/1, that would be fair. As it is...man, Scathe Zombies are 2B for a 2/2, and they don't go get friends."

Yes, but Scathe Zombies suck sour arse in a major way. Every Gray Ogre in print makes Scathe Zombies look bad so that comparison is poor. I might make it 2/1, but only because the Green 3cc version should be better than the black one so I either make the Green one 2/3 or the black one 2/1. Not sure which.

"Swarm of Vermin - Make it cost 1BB. Odds are, you won't have a ton of creatures put into a graveyard in one turn...or you could Wrath, then Swarm. This makes it a bit more difficult to splash."

Or make it an Instant...I wanted the B3 casting cost to make it splashable.

-------------------------------------------------------

Idea:

Rat Lord 2BB
Rare
Creature - Rat Legend
2/1
All rats in play get +1/+1 and swampwalk.
"They were dangerous enough without a leader. Now, they may be unstoppable."
[/B][/QUOTE]

A

Apollo

I think Istanbul was being sarcastic with Diabolic Dilemma. At least I hope so. I think the "remove graveyard from game" version is terrible. If you're playing against a graveyard deck, they'll discard something so they can reanimate it. Otherwise, they'll just sac their graveyard. Either way, it doesn't do you any good. And it's completely useless in the early game because they won't have a graveyard.

Thumbs up to "Dark Omen." I prefer the original version, though. Not a whole lot to do with the colorless mana.

And Istanbul, Mind Eater, as is, is incredible. Losing a few cards every turn doesn't bother a player if you die in 4 turns. I think it's powerful, but okay. If you think it's weak, you haven't played enough beatdown decks.

Pack of Rats is only good if you have a bunch. And chances are, early on, you won't. It's actually pretty weak. Your changes would make it awful.

I'll comment some on other colors when I get around to it. :)

Apollo

M

manchot_13

can i have a copy of the list please? i'd love to help, but can't without a list... i'll check card power and viability, and TomB, if you need any help, don't be afraid to ask me... but anyway... plz send a list to :

ducksoup@magnolia.net
and
tco1@msms.doe.k12.ms.us

thx...

I

Istanbul

4 turns? Yeah, if I get NO blockers out to stop it...and if I don't get anything 2/X out in 4 turns, I deserve to die.

A

Apollo

Istanbul, this card would be played in conjunction with other weenies and enhancer spells. One blocker alone wouldn't save you. You might take this out, but you'd still die.

For example, a Sarcomancy by itself isn't that great. Of course it's not going to get through 10 straight turns, but in conjunction with other cheap, efficient creatures, it can kill real fast. And this is more powerful than Sarcomancy. A deck like this doesn't depend on one particular card, so the drawback isn't much.

You're looking at this card by itself. A lone Jackal Pup isn't that imposing, either. But Sligh is a pretty good deck, no?

Apollo

F

Fire Slinger

Could somebody please send me the list? I not that great at dissecting cards, but I might find something everybody else missed.

Send to

jmrsh@pop.ipa.net

Thank you...

Z

Zadok001

"Every Gray Ogre in print makes Scathe Zombies look bad so that comparison is poor."

Grey Ogre is better than the Zombies, at least you can't Terror the Zombies!

G

Gizmo

I have to say I just plain don`t like Diabolic Dilemmna. I spent ages trying to get a mixture of effects to make it balanced, but there just aren`t any. I was very close to recommending cutting it out altogether.

For future discussion, my current list of 'Pack' and 'Welkin' cards:

PACKS

Pack Of Dogs, G, Uncommon
2/1
If Pack Of Dogs becomes blocked it deals no combat damage.
When Pack Of Dogs comes into play you may put another Pack of Dogs card into play from your hand.

Pack Of Grizzlies, G1, Common
2/2
When Pack Of Grizzlies comes into play you may put another Pack of Grizzlies card into play from your hand.

Pack Of Wolves, GG1, Common
2/3
When Pack Of...yadda yadda

Pack Of Armodons, GG3, Uncommon
4/5
When Pack Of...

Pack of Lions, W3, Common
3/3
When Pack Of...

Pack Of Rats, BB1, Common
2/2
You know the drill by now...

Flock Of Birds, U1, Common
1/1 Flying
You`ll be shocked to learn that 'When Flock Of....

WELKIN CARDS

Endless Nightmare, B1, Common, Sorcery
Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand. You may search your library for another copy of Endless Nightmare and put it into your hand, if you do so shuffle your library.

Endless Lies, BB1, Common, Sorcery (note, was Uncommon)
Target player chooses and discards a card. You may search your library for another copy of Endless Lies and put it into your hand, if you do so shuffle your library.

Perpetual Flux, UU1, Common, Sorcery
Return target permanent to owners hand. You may search your library for another copy of Perpetual Flux and put it into your hand, if you do so shuffle your library.

(quite concerned about this one, even as a Sorcery this could be unfair and have to become an instant Unsummon not Boomerang. Being able to retard your opponent`s mana base by returning land for four turns is AMAZING)

Perpetual Spike, U1, Common, Instant
Counter target spell unless that spell`s controller pays 1. You may search your library for another copy of Perpetual Spike and put it into your hand, if you do so shuffle your library.

Resurgent Strength, G1, Common, Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2. You may search....

Resurgent Mists, G1, Common, Instant
Prevent all combat damage dealt this turn. You may search...

Refreshing Balm, W1, Common, Instant
Prevent the next 3 damage dealt to target creature or player by a single source this turn. You may search...

Refreshing Destruction, WW1, Common, Instant
Destroy target artifact or enchantment. You may search...

(better name, anybody? Refreshing ???...)

Echoing Blast, RR1, Common, Instant
Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. You may search...

Echoing War Cry, R1, Common, Instant
Target creature cannot block this turn. You may search...

C

Captain Caveman

Diabolic Compromise
Rare
Enchantment
2BBB
Skip your draw step.
B,Pay 1 life: Draw a card. If you were to discard a card, instead
remove it from the game.
"He craves only one commodity, but he'll take what he can get."

As Gizma has already suggested, having to pay B and 1 life
is somewhat costly, so that should hinder drawing somewhat.
I think, the way the new text is worded it is a replacement
ability and can prevent someone from feeding discard into
another source. I'm not rules guy though. Can someone tell
if the texted I added will work that way? Its very similiar to
Necropotence but I couldn't think of any other way to keep
it playable and not destroy the usefulness.

Is it broken this way?

Y

Y The Alien

Didn't read the original post, dangit!

[Edited by Y The Alien on August 6th, 2000 at 05:21 PM]

C

Chaos Turtle

Please only post cards in this forum that are suggestions or revisions for cards already in the set.
Would you mind terribly, either moving these to the "New Card Ideas" thread or even starting a new thread?

I'm trying so hard to keep this one organized... it makes the coding so much easier.

Thanks! :)

C

Chaos Turtle

And here we go!

Here's Gizmo's comments on the blue stuff.
Same format as before.

"I just generally feel that blue is a hard colour to design for - it`s core abilities of card drawing, countermagic, and Control Magic-type stuff are all extremely powerful and make it very easy to undercost spells, or to go the other way and make them unplayable. You also have to be careful to avoid giving Blue a strong creature base as that has always been it`s main weakness.
The result is that blue gets a LOT of chaff cards in each set and only a very few playable cards. I`m afraid that`s always the way it`s going to be."

EXISTING CARDS

Æther Drift
Rare
Enchantment
2UU
Discard a creature card: Draw a card. Any player may play this ability.

"Now, I know I said blue got chaff, but not THIS chaffy. This is either a) broken if you use Living Death or b) crap if you don`t. It needs an additional cost to the discard (say 1), and then make it so only you can play the ability."
===
Æther Drift
Rare
Enchantment
2UU
1, Discard a creature card: Draw a card.
===

Azure Knight
Uncommon
Creature - Knight
UU
2/2
Whenever an opponent plays a green spell, you may draw a card.

"EEK! This is way overpowered. The red version is fine because the first thing they`ll do is shock it, but this version is not only a cheap version of an existing hoser, but made into a tourney-viable creature so it is impossible for green to kill! I would simply make it a 2/2 Prot:Green monster for UU1"
===
True, true. Keeping it simple, then (unless someone has a better suggestion).

Azure Knight
Uncommon
Creature - Knight
1UU
2/2
Protection from green.
===

Clairvoyant Student
Common
Creature - Wizard
1U
1/1
When Clairvoyant Student leaves play, you may look at the top 4 cards of your library and return them in any order.

"So this is a bad Sage Owl? Make it useful and have the effect an Impulse instead."
===
Good point. Also considering a Brainstorm effect...

Clairvoyant Student
Common
Creature - Wizard
1U
1/1
When Clairvoyant Student leaves play, you may look at the top 4 cards of your library. Put one of those cards into your hand and the rest on the bottome of your library in any order.
===

Directed Feedback
Uncommon
Instant
U
Counter target red or green spell unless its controller pays an additional 2.

"Urgh. Obviously fair, but I fear we might be making life too hard for aggro decks anyway so I would cut this. Maybe make it into a Force Spike, but having to pay 2 makes it REALLY good, which it shouldn`t be."
===

Considering cutting this card.
===

Faulty Recollection
Uncommon
Instant
U
Target opponent searches your library for 3 cards. Put those cards into your hand.

"Jeez, you don`t make my job easy, do you? I`m trying to work out if this card is broken, or just absolutely amazing. Being able to cast a super-Tithe for 3 Islands is broken, but I think there are enough restrictions on it to make it just about balanced. You only get Islands, so you can`t use it to run duals like Tithe does. You can`t use it to break a mana screw because your opponent
will give you 3 Treachery instead. You might well have to discard down to 7 cards anyway. I think every blue player would play 4 without even having to think about it, but it should be fine. Keeping my fingers crossed, I say keep it."
===

Yay! I love this card. :)
===

Foundation of Illusion
Rare
Enchantment
UUU
Creatures you control gain flying and "UU: Return this creature to its owner's hand."
When Foundation of Illusion is put into a graveyard from play, you may return 3 Islands you control to their owners' hands. If you do, return Foundation of Illusion to its owner's hand.

"It has the word Foundation in the title and is therefore a hideously undercosted and overpowered spell. UUU for Levitation and 'all my monsters are Rainbow Efreet'? Cut it, then lock it up and throw away the key."
===

Better yet, somebody fix this card! (please)
Obviously sac 2 Islands would be a better return cost, as we've done with the other Foundations. By the way, it's supposed to be Legendary.
Again, only one "Foundation" really counts, but it only makes sense to only do the one or to do all five.

Foundation of Illusion
Rare
Legendary Enchantment
1UUU
Creatures you control gain "U: This creature gains flying until end of turn" and "When this creature is put into a graveyard, draw a card."
When Foundation of Illusion is put into a graveyard from play, you may sacrifice two Islands. If you do, return Foundation of Illusion to its owner's hand.

Better?
===

Frizan Telepath
Rare
Creature - Wizard
2UU
0/2
All players play with their hands revealed.
2U, Tap: Look at the top 3 cards of target player's library and put them back in any order.

"I`d make it 2/2 and UU1 to activate."
===

Frizan Telepath
Rare
Creature - Wizard
2UU
2/2
All players play with their hands revealed.
1UU, Tap: Look at the top 3 cards of target player's library and put them back in any order.
===

Frizan Taunt
Common
Instant
U
Counter target spell. That spell's controller untaps a number of lands equal to that spell's converted mana cost.

"Even with the downside this spell HAS to cost UU to cast. That makes it strictly worse than Counterspell, but it also means you can now play 8 UU counters in standard."
===
How about 1U?
===

Frizan Trickster
Uncommon
Creature - Wizard
3UU
2/3
Whenever Frizan Trickster is dealt combat damage, put that many denial counters on it.
Remove a denial counter from Frizan Trickster: Counter target spell unless it's controller pays an additional 1.

"Has to be Rare."
===
Done.
===

Frizan Wish
Uncommon
Instant
1U
Look at the top 4 cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order unless any player pays 2. If one does, remove those cards from the game instead.

"Look, if you want to play with Impulse just reprint Impulse. I`d cut this then think about reprinting Impulse.
I wouldn`t think for very long though, and then I`d decide not to. :) "
===
Heavens. You're right about Impulse ;) but I'm trying so hard for a slightly weaker version, since the consensus seems to be that's the original is too good.
Please help save this card.
===

Frizan Wizard
Rare
Creature - Wizard
3UU
2/3
UU,Tap: Target spell which targets one creature targets Frizan Wizard instead.
UU,Tap: Target spell that targets only Frizan Wizard targets another creature instead. (#The new target must be legal.#)

"Make this the Morphling of the set. 3/3 Flyer, abilities don`t tap to use, and new name. That might sound good, but it will actually be much worse than a Morphling because it cannot flex it`s power/toughness, the ability costs more, and they cannot redirect a removal spell unless they have something to redirect it to."
===
Okay.

(suggest cool name)
Rare
Creature - ?
3UU
3/3
Flying
UU: Target spell which targets one creature targets ~ instead.
UU: Target spell that targets only ~ targets another creature instead. (#The new target must be legal.#)
===

Group Meditation
Uncommon
Instant
2U
Draw two cards.
Any opponent may pay 2 to draw 2 cards.
"Now, open the blue door of the mind."

"Unnecessarily complicated. Simplify by making it “all players draw 3 cards” and a Sorcery."
===
Hmm. A mini-Prosperity?
Well, okay, but I don't think anyone will use it.
===

Illusory Barrier
Uncommon
1UU
Enchant Land
As long as an opponent controls as least two more land than you, Illusory Barrier has, "UUU, Tap enchanted land: Counter Target spell."

"Rare, UU1 to activate."
===
Okay.
===

Intense Study
Rare
Enchantment
2U
At the beginning of your draw step, you may draw an extra card. Your spells cost an additional 1.

"Nice, we all really like this."
===
Yay again! I love this card. :)
===

Istanbul
Rare
3UU
Creature - Wizard Legend
0/0
U: Istanbul can't be the target of spells or effects until end of turn.
UU: Return Istanbul to owner's hand..
1UU, Tap, discard a card: Counter target spell.
"No."

"0/0? I think 2/2 (oopsie --CT) is more fair but I`d lose one of the two defensive abilties - either he`s untargetable or he bounces, but having both is too powerful. I`d lose the untargetability."
===
Well, this one's Istanbul's, so I'll let him pick.
===

Liberal Education
Uncommon
Enchantment
2UU
Whenever you play a spell, you may pay its converted mana cost (in addition to all other costs) . If you do, draw a card at end of turn.
"I didn't pay your Academy tuition just so you could play card games!" -- Magic parent

"Unless you`ve got a specific combo fear I`d cut the ‘at end of turn’ part."
===
Okay.
===

Memory Boost
Uncommon
Enchantment
3U
Whenever you play a spell, sacrifice Memory Boost. If you do, draw a number of cards equal to that spell's converted mana cost.

"Unclear wording. I assume this is meant to trigger at the next spell, rather than when you choose to use it? ‘Whenever you next play a spell...’"
===
Right.

Memory Boost
Uncommon
Enchantment
3U
Whenever you next play a spell, sacrifice Memory Boost to draw a number of cards equal to that spell's converted mana cost.

This should also make it clear that Memory Boost must actually be sacrificed, just like Second Chance.
===

Pack of Leaflets
Common
Instant
1UU
Draw 2 cards. If another Pack of leaflets is on the stack, you may play Pack of Leaflets without paying its mana cost.
Hey, Brother, would you care for some inspirational reading?

"Cut."
===
Yup. Replacing with the "welkin" version.
===

Snoozing Faerie
Common
Creature - Faerie
U
1/2
Sloth #(This creature comes into play tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step if it came under your control since the beginning of your last turn.)#
Flying.

"Neither of us like Sloth, suggest you replace it with “Comes into play tapped. Snoozing Faerie does not untap during your untap phase if it attacked on your last turn.” And a 1/2 for U is too good at defending, a 2/1 is better especially considering the restriction my new ability puts on attacking."

Snoozing Illusion
Uncommon
Creature - Illusion
UU
Sloth #(This creature comes into play tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step if it came under your control since the beginning of your last turn.)#
Snoozing Illusion is unblockable.

"Umm, 2/2? (oopsie again -- CT) Again kill the Sloth and give it the same ability as Snoozing Faerie."
===
Agreed.

Snoozing Faerie
Common
Creature - Faerie
U
2/1
~ Comes into play tapped.
If ~ attacks, it doesn't untap during your next untap step.
Flying.

Snoozing Illusion
Uncommon
Creature - Illusion
UU
2/2
~ Comes into play tapped.
If ~ attacks, it doesn't untap during your next untap step.
~ is unblockable.
===

Reverse Engineering
Uncommon
Sorcery
UU
Sacrifice an artifact to draw a number of cards equal to its converted mana cost.
"If we can figure out how this thing works, perhaps we can make a better one." -- Kurant, Frizan Artificer

"Instant"
===
Done.
===

Rune of Intelligence
Common
Enchantment
U
Delay 4 #(This card comes into play with 4 delay counters on it. Any time instants are legal, you may pay 1 to remove a delay counter. This card's other abilities cannot be used if there are delay counters on it.)#
Sacrifice Rune of Intelligence: Target player draws 2 cards.

Rune of the Void
Uncommon
Enchantment
U
Delay 2 #(This card comes into play with 2 delay counters on it. Any time instants are legal, you may pay 1 to remove a delay counter. This card's other abilities cannot be used if there are delay counters on it.)#
Sacrifice Rune of theVoid: Counter target spell. Put that spell card on top of it's owner's library instead of into the graveyard.

"Cut"
===
Godawful, I remember. ;)
Attempting a fix...
Suggestions, *please*.

Rune of Intelligence
1U
Whenever an opponent (does something) you may remove a delay counter from ~.
If there are no delay counters on ~, it has "Sacrifice ~: Target player draws two cards."

Rune of the Void
UU
Whenever an opponent (does something) you may remove a delay counter from ~.
If there are no delay counters on ~, it has "Sacrifice ~: Counter target spell. Remove that spell card from the game."
===

Shimmering Charm
Uncommon
Instant
1U
Choose one - Look at the top 3 cards of your library, put one into your hand and remove the rest from the game, or Search your library for up to 3 cards and remove them from the game (then shuffle your library), or Target non-creature artifact is an artifact creature with power and toughness equal to its converted mana cost until end of turn.

"Cut. Two Charm cycles is too many"
===
Okay.
This one was wordy anyhow.
===

Shimmering Knight
Uncommon
Creature - Knight
UU
2/2
Whenever an opponent plays a red spell, you may draw a card.
===
Shall we raise the cost of this one to 1UU also?
===

Spirit of Prosperity
Rare
Creature - Spirit
2UU
0/3
Flying.
Whenever Spirit of Prosperity deals combat damage, you and your opponents may each draw X cards, where X is the amount of
damage dealt.
UU: +1/+0 until ecnd of turn.

"Yuck, Cut"
===
Or, keeping in the "spirit" of the black one...

Prosperous Spirit
Rare
Creature - Ghost
2UU
0/3
Flying.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, you and that player may each draw X cards, where X is the amount of damage dealt.
UU: +1/+0 until ecnd of turn.

Still not likely to get used much, I know, but...
===

Spiteful Sprite
Uncommon
Creature - Faerie
U
2/2
Flying. At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a blue card or sacrifice Spiteful Sprite. Spiteful Sprite can block only creatures with flying.

"The discard is really harsh because it specifies blue, make it 3/2."
===
Agreed.
===

Temporal Servant
Uncommon
Creature - Illusion
2U
1/2
1U,return Temporal Servant to its owner's hand: Draw a card.

"1/1, This is already a cheap Whispers and I might rename it Servant Of The Muse or somesuch in honour of that great card."
===
Servant of the Muse
Uncommon
Creature - Illusion
2U
1/1
1U, return ~ to its owner's hand: Draw a card.
===

Trouble at Home
Rare
Enchantment
3U
Players can't target permanents they control.
"Get thine own house in order."

“...themselves or permanents...”
===
Well, why not?
===

Winds of Stupidity
Rare
Instant
2UUU
Counter all spells.

"The most accurately named spell EVER! I see no reason not to keep it, but it`s rarely going to see play. Fun I guess."
===
Precisely. ;)
===

REPRINTS
A few basic abilities are missing (counter, bounce), and there is also a HUGE gap in the ‘slightly undercsosted flyer’ column where you usually find Phantom Monster or Drake Hatchling. I don`t want too many reprints though, so let`s keep it to a minimum and try to fill some gaps with new cards.

Power Sink, everything Common
(reprinted as a common)

Remove Soul, 5th Common
(reprinted as a common)

Tidal Warrior, Stronghold Common
(reprinted as a common)

Legacy`s Allure, Tempest Uncommon
(reprinted as an Uncommon)

Wall Of Thunder, Ice Age Uncommon
(reprinted as Uncommon)

Political Trickery, Mirage Rare
(reprinted as a Rare) (okay, I gotta draw the line at rares... -CT :p)

NEW CARDS
A couple of ideas inspired by existing Casualties cards, and a few attempts to fill gaps in the blue theme.

Flock Of Birds
Common
U1
Creature - Bird
1/1
Flying
When Flock Of Birds comes into play you may put another Flock Of Birds card into play from your hand.

Sympathetic Imp
Uncommon
U1
Creature - Imp
2/2
Flying
Whenever a creature goes to any graveyard from play that creature`s controller gains control of Sympathetic Imp.

(A relative of Black`s Treacherous Imp.)

Snoozing Djinn
Uncommon
UU2
Creature - Djinn
4/4
Flying
Snoozing Djinn comes into play tapped. Snoozing Djinn does not untap during your untap phase if it attacked on your previous turn.

Perpetual Spike
Common
U1
Instant
Counter target spell unless that spell`s caster pays 1. You may search your library for another Perpetual Spike card and put into your hand, if you do so shuffle your library afterwards.

Perpetual Flux
Common
U1
Instant
Return target creature to it`s owner`s hand. You may search your library for another Perpetual Flux card and put into your hand, if you do so shuffle your library afterwards.

Deja Vu
Uncommon
UU1
Sorcery
Put target artifact, enchantment, or land on top of it`s owner`s library.

Rhystic Connection (with a different name? - CT)
Rare
UU2
Enchantment
Whenever any player plays a spell all other players may choose to draw a card.

Counterbomb (needs a proper name)
Rare
UU2
Instant
Counter target spell.
UUU2: Return Counterbomb to your hand. You may play this ability only if Counterbomb is in your graveyard and only if it is the beginning of your upkeep.

(still need more common chaff, and a Prodigal Sorceror card)

-
Gizmo
===

And there it is.
Looks like our blue stuff took a beating. :)
Comments, everyone!

G

Gizmo

Don`t feel too hard about it. I know for a fact blue is VERY hard to design for, my friend and I are world leaders at Draw-Go style decks and so we know what is fair and what`s not. If you give them even SLIGHTLY too many good cards then Draw-Go will become dominant and everybody else will go home and sulk. I also intend on giving the set a powerful defensive artifact a la Nevinyrral`s Disk, so I`m being extra careful.

I don`t like the U1 version of Frizan Taunt because then it gives multi-coloured decks a splashable cards that says 'Counter target spell' not 'Counter target spell unless...'. I`d rather avoid doing that.

I

Istanbul

I'll ditch the ability to bounce. Otherwise, I'll stay just like the most recent version. BUT! In exchange, I want my primary ability to cost UU, not 1UU. I don't cast Forbid, I cast Counterspell. Just like Dawnstrider casts Fog and not Respite, Mageta casts Wrath of God and not Winds of Rath. Don't make me be worse than the spellshapers.