Casual Player

K

Kode

Most people in here are perhaps casual players. They enjoy winning, but most of all they enjoy a good, solid game, with interaction and plenty of combat, winning with innovative and even unusual ideas using cards that are otherwise deemed inferior or not in-par with a tournament’s standards.

My questions are directed to casual players:

1. What do you guys value in a casual card? or maybe, what are the qualities of a casual card?

2. Can any card be played casually? or are there some standards by which a card is deemed casual?

3. Be honest. Do you enjoy winning? And if so, do powerful cards intrigue you? or just "casually" powerful cards?

4. What is a "powerful" card to the casual player? An example would be illustrative.

E

EricBess

Here's my take:

1. I don't think you can classify a card as a "casual card". Everyone has different styles and different preferences. I think what denotes "casual" is the player who enjoys playing for the sake of playing.

2. Yes, I think any card can be played casually. It's about having fun more than winning. Being comptetive is often part of that. So, Wild Mongrel can make for a good, hard fought battle, or Carnival of Souls can make for a wierd combo deck. Maybe it doesn't go off very often, but how much fun when it does...

I do think there are specific decks that shouldn't (but sometimes are) played casually. Casual players can take a tournament-winning deck and tweek it (or even play it the way it is), but decks like Prosperous Bloom and Turbo-Zvi (as examples) are no good because they simply aren't fun to play against.

3. Sure, who doesn't enjoy winning? Just because we are casual players doesn't mean we don't want to win. In fact, I think there are a lot of players here who would even love to play in the Pro Tour. But I would rather lose a well-fought battle that took half an hour to play with lots of interaction than to win a game where my opponent never got started (Granted, my preference would be to win the well fought battle :D)

4. Depends. Some players prefer beat-down and other prefer combo. I like cards with a lot of potential, but not so much that they are obviously broken. For example, my favorite card of all time is Zur's Weirding.

Killer Joe

Not speaking on behalf of anyone else, just me.

My questions are directed to casual players:

1. What do you guys value in a casual card? or maybe, what are the qualities of a casual card?

A: I'm glad there are such cards, I just can't identify any of them. I would hope that the quality of a casual card is it's likeability and playabilty.

2. Can any card be played casually? or are there some standards by which a card is deemed casual?

A: Any card can be casually. But, can everyone agree on what cards shouldn't be played casually? No. So anything goes.

3. Be honest. Do you enjoy winning? And if so, do powerful cards intrigue you? or just "casually" powerful cards?

A: Part 1:Of course I enjoy winning! It's human nature to feel a level of satisfaction when you've accomplished a goal. I never play to lose. Do you?
Part 2: Wrath of God intrigues me but pisses off my opponents. Name a "casually" powerful card:______________________

4. What is a "powerful" card to the casual player? An example would be illustrative.

A: See "Wrath of God" statement above.

Nice questions, what's your motivation? I might have questions go something like this:

1. In your words, define the term: "Casual Player" as it applies to playing Magic:The Gathering.

2. In your words, describe a type of card that best fits the play-style of a casual player.

3. Since 'winning' is the basic goal of playing M:TG, briefly describe "How" you like to win. An example could be: "I like to win using a deck with non-tournament, sub-par, and/or obscure cards that my opponents would be very surpised to lose against."

4. Refering to question number 3, describe and/or name a game altering or winning card that would best fit in that deck.

K

Kode

I guess having a definition of a casual card negates the very definition. Right?

Of course, there simply has to be a common, clear ground upon which a casual player is termed "casual player." We can't simply say a casual player is a player that enjoys playing the game more than winning or enjoys the interaction. Saying so creates a problem: I am sure the guy who plays Academy just has oh-so-much fun. After all, we are defining "fun" subjectively, because we are talking casually. So subjectively speaking, Academy, Counter-Phoenix, and Hatred are all examples of wonderful, enjoyable, extraordinarly fun decks - to their masters, that is. But that is "casual," after all: fun to the master.

Or, does it have to be fun for both, or all, players? and yet retain a type of upperhand so as to actually win the game? who likes to have a Wrath of God played against them anyway? No one, that's for sure. Much like no one really enjoys watching Bargain or Academy go off.

Has there been a such thing as a casual player, or has this entity been a ghost? If there is no basis for such a player to exist, than he is more likely to be only a less competitive, less serious gamer, i.e., does not play the game as much, or does not spend a lot of money on it...and surely none of those suffice as examples or characteristics of a casual player.

What is a casual player?

R

Reverend Love

What is a casual player?
Getting together with your buds to hurl jokes, and throw some cards is more important then winning the game your playing.

K

Kode

Good one RL. But my question greatly minds a casual player in regards to Magic, as YellowJacket so aptly stated: "In your words, define the term: 'Casual Player' as it applies to playing Magic:The Gathering." Sure, it's getting together with your buddies and whatnot, but that can also be said about football gatherings, video games...etc.

Let me make it more direct: everything I am asking involved the cards and the decks that a casual player would play. I'm not too mindful to the social event and gathering, but more of the decks, cards, and even strategies. That is what I desire to know.

Killer Joe

Do we know you? Your line of questioning is ..... familiar.

On to the matter at hand!

Biorhythm sucks as far as tournament play goes, so this card may be considered a "casual" card. Oh sure, you may have found it in a decklist in some obscure tourney report and such, but not likely to have found it in the top 64 decks at Worlds.

So I would definitely play it in a deck labeled a "Casual Deck".

In contrast, Arcbound Ravager is a very tournament worthy card and to play it in an Affinity deck would be excellent. However, eliminating your opponent (casual player or not) may not be fully satisfying, or, at least, not to me. Affinity is NOT a casual deck. Affinity, the ability CAN be made into a casual deck but it would have to work very hard not to look like a tournament deck. Perhaps replace the Ravagers with Atog, put in Broodstar and take out the Shrapnel Blast and put in Glacial Ray or Magma Jet or better yet, Sizzle (for multi-player).

In the past I have taken Tournament teir I decks and modified them into "Casual" decks. For instance, remeber UG Con-Troll from the Urza's Saga days? I made that into an all common version and it kicks butt! I did something similar to that with UBR Nether-Go except I used all commons. It's good, too.

I do play with a group that is NOT tournament minded (whereas I am tournament minded, just not that good at it :rolleyes: ) and I try to play sub-par decks against them because it would be just too easy to smear them with U/W Control (any version). So I make an effort to play casual decks or semi-casual when I play with them.

M

Mr_Pestilence

1. In my opinion, a "casual" card is one which does not involve "control". Most people don't like to be controlled, so they don't consider "control" cards to ba a lot of fun.

2. Any card can be played casually, but in a casual environment, some people may announce that they're going to play a "tournament deck" or "something a little tougher". Another aspect of casual play is that specific control cards, such as Counterspell, are not played, while general control cards, such as Wrath of God or Obliterate are played because they aren't perceived as discriminating or "picking" on one player.

3. Of course I enjoy winning. But I would rather play an interactive game rather than just winning with some combo that ignores my opponent or an obscenely fast deck that wins in 3-4 turns.

4. I would say casual players prefer big creatures, or cards that do something unusual, like Zur's Weirding.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Kode
To me, a casual card is one that is not often scene in a tourney deck or as a linchpin of such. So I guess I value a casual card as one that isn't played a lot in a tourney, yet interesting in its own way (which is alot of cards! :) )

I think any card can be casually played, but like Killer Joe said, the deck its in has to be toned down if its usually a tourney card.

Of course I like winning :) And powerful cards usually intrigue me, like Survival of the Fittest or Morphling. But I don't build the tourney deck that they might "normally" be found in (in part because I don't have the cards anyway); they might find their way into a deck that has other casual/strange/weird/unused cards in it.

To me, a powerful casual card would be one that has a nice effect that affects many (since I mainly play MP). That new Yosei? card is a good example.

R

Rooser

This is my definition of a casual player:

A casual player includes flavor as part of his strategic thinking.

Don't let the simplicity of this definition fool you. I think it covers a lot of bases and is open-ended enough to include many different types of players, (even the Spikes among us like me).

T

TheCasualOblivion

My definition of a casual player is twofold. First, a casual player does not build net-decks(specifically, decks posted on the internet to win tournaments. Decks posted for fun don't exactly count). A casual player builds his own decks, possibly with some inspiration from decks they've seen, but in the end, the deck comes completely from themselves. Second, a casual player at the very least skips the final tuning of the deck to make it tournament level. A casual player's decks are always beatable.

as for your questions:

1. Casual cards include most anything. Its the non-casual cards that are more specific, like Wild Mongrel or Arcbound Ravager.

2. As long as you don't build a deck to absolutely dominate, anything can be casual.

3. I play to win. I've usually been the toughest player in any group I've been in, and I've always been a good deck builder, being able to build decks that are 80% of tournament tuned without internet assistance. I have never had any ambition to go beyond this, and I've never had any trouble being accepted in casual circles, even playing U/W counterspell/Wrath of God decks like I've been known to. My decks are very good, I don't make them unbeatable.

4. Undercosted beaters. Kird Ape, Blastoderm and Serendib Efreet(my favorite creature ever).

D

DÛke

I submitted an article regarding this issue today. I came up with a slightly different answer than everyone else...or rather...not really an answer...but a breakthrough almost. To some, I'm sure what I have concluded may even seem sinful.

D

DÛke

...Nah...but that's actually a sliver of it. There is, however a bigger picture, but that too is a sliver. It'll probably be posted Monday. See what you think then.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Rooser
Don't let the simplicity of this definition fool you. I think it covers a lot of bases and is open-ended enough to include many different types of players, (even the Spikes among us like me).
I know Spikes, and you my friend are no Spike! I would say Beta-Johnny, or Evo-Johnny. Perhaps simply Jonathan?

1) There are many types of different but great kinds of 'casual' cards, but I think the key element is that they tickle your imagination is some particular way to say "I've got to put this card in a deck". Can be artwork, theme, uniqueness, card design, whatever.

2) I suppose, but not all cards should be played in casual...perhaps. I'll stop here, b/c I worry that I might offend some people with my opinions on this one.

3) Of course I enjoy winning, and I've got nothing against mostpowerful cards, but I don't get much out of winning with archtype decks in casual play (like Raffinity, Trix, etc) I will play tourney cards without a problem, but my focus is to construct my deck in an off-beat manner. For instance, I built an Oath of Druids deck with Questing Hippo that kills with Dingus Staff.

4) Beyond typical Magic 'power' (Black Lotus, Recal, etc.), powerful in my world would equal versatile, b/c I mostly play Multi-player. A card that is capable of doing many things, handling many different kinds of threats, or being very easily recyclable would fit my definition. EDIT: Some examples include...Decree of Pain, Orim's Thunder, Time Stop, Pernicious Deed, Goblin Welder, Stifle, and many, many more.

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm...good questions:

1. I'm a beatdown players, so I like good critters that give me lots of bang for my buck

2. Sure. I used to use my Black Lotus to cast critters quickly and if I had Wishes I would use them just to get more interesting creatures.

3. It is a game. Everyone likes to win games. HOWEVER, I like to win them with style. I never use direct damage on players, I avoid any kind of discard cards (Hypnotic Spectre, Hymn, Mind Twist, etc), and I usually avoid Counterspells - actually, I avoid most of the colour Blue.

4. Cards that enhance creatures (Giant Growth, Coat of Arms) or help make creatures more interesting. Also, I like cards that no one in their right mind would put in a deck (Sorrow's Path) just to see if I can make them work.

Casual Play (IMHO) is all about exploring every single card you own for their intrinsic value - not just for the way they're played in tournaments.

-Ferret

Killer Joe

Would it be okay to define a "Casual Player" by least number of times (s)he participates in a sanctioned tournament?

For instance: I play in the pre-releases three times a year, but anyone could hardly identify me as a person who is a "tournament" player, right?

I used to participate in "PTQ" a year (August - Block). But no more. I draft in a sanctioned tournament on an average of 10 times a year.

I play casually way many more times that I do competatively.

So, what AM I?

<NOTE: As of THIS post, I have reached 1700 POSTS!>

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Killer Joe
I play casually way many more times that I do competatively.

So, what AM I?
I'd say you're a casual player at heart with tourney cravings. Kind of the same with me; I try to make the PreReleases which are in a tourney environment, but mostly play MP.