Bury/destroy

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Griffith_se, Apr 7, 2000.

1. Griffith_se Guest

Question 1:
    Whats the difference between Bury or destroy? Do they even use the term Bury in Sixth Edition rules.

Question 2:
    I think I already know the answer to this one.
    If I sacrifice a creature can I regenerate it? The answer is no, right? Even Though I can't find anything that says I can't.

Griffith_se

[Edited by Griffith_se (04-07-2000 at 09:35 AM).]
  2. supascrub New Member

Question 1: Bury means to destroy without being able to regenerate. Example: A Masticore can be regenerated after a shatter(destroy) but not after a pillage (bury). The term bury is no longer used. It has been replaced by saying destroyed and can't be regenerated.

Question 2: You're right. It can't be regenerated.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Griffith: I'm just going by the glossary of the rules, but they say that "regenerate" is a destruction-replacement effect, while "sacrifice" is simply moving a permanent from the in-play zone to the owner's graveyard (i.e. NOT a destruction effect). So that's why you can't regenerate a sacrifice (probably also has to do with sacrifice usually being a cost and you can't do anything about a cost).
  4. theorgg Slob

actually, if a creature is buried, regeneration effects can be used. however, they don't DO anything, and if a regen shield is up it doesn't do ANYTHING...
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

theorgg: You mean you can just put up a regen shield when something's getting buried? Heck, you can do that anytime under 6th rules. Like in response to drawing a card in the draw phase or in the declare attack step.

As a side note to regenerating, if the destruction is caused by lethal damage, any abilities that trigger from that damage being dealt STILL trigger even if the permanent regenerates (taken from the glossary again).
  6. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Just to make something clear, since certain replies seem to suggest that a burial (destroyed and can't regenerate) will actually cause an existing regeneration shield to be used, but which will fail to do anything. That's not the case. It woun't matter anyway, since the creature is after all going to be buried, but the regeneration shield won't be used.