Burning Wish

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Depends on the deck...

It works well for fetching broken sorceries.

Broken sorceries that Oversoul can think of...

Time Walk
Timetwister
Balance
Yawgmoth's Will
Mind's Desire
Wheel of Fortune
Tinker
Time Spiral
Windfall
Mind Twist
Channel
Braingeyser
Replenish

There are other great sorceries like Demonic Tutor, but many of those would be sort of pointless to use Burning Wish for. Like I said, it depends on the deck...

R

Reverend Love

Certantly depends on the decks colore..other then red.

M

Mikeymike

I like "Sorceries that often suck, but every once in awhile will serve it to someone prison-style". Examples include:

Builder's Bane
Void
Living Death
Splinter
Dregs of Sorrow
Crush of Wurms
Nature's Resurgence
New Frontiers
Stunted Growth
Whirlwind
Ancestral Tribute
Cataclysm
Distorting Wake
Bribery
Blatant Thievery
Retribution of the Meek

There are 4,000 different ways (literally, I counted) to play Burning Wish. You can take this thing in so many different directions...which is why I'm PO'ed it was restricted in Type 1.

M

MrPapersHead

Back when Oddessy block was in T2, I had an Erhnicenter deck rolling around. It was a red green version of Erhnigeddon but using Epicenter.

With that being said, any Sorcery Board sweep or destruction card can be some good with Burning Wish.

Killer Joe

Okay, this is for a Blue/Red/White Aggro-Control deck, but I have access to all five colors via City of Brass/Forbidden Orchard.

Board sweepers sound good.
Rout
Wrath of God
Whirlwind
Please list some more.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Oversoul
Um, there was a pretty good reason for that...

Oh, Balance is some good...
I don't deny it, Burning Wish was being used to pull out some ridiculously ugly stuff.

But it kicked me in the butt b/c I was using it to grab goofy stuff like I listed above, and not reliable Turn 2 Yawgmoth's Wills or Balances.

Poopy on the DCI, poopy on them all.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I can use Black Lotus to cast Goblin Hero, but that doesn't make the Lotus not broken...

Then again, Burning Wish is not banned in the new format, whatever it's going to be called...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
As far as winning goes, wishes are, in actuality, a rather pathetic solution to poor deckbuilding. Perfect for tricking bad players into trying it though...

I think it's sort of funny that they only managed to make one of the Wish cards a bad card...

Killer Joe

I used to know a guy who'd say that "Side Boarding" was for the idiots who couldn't build thier decks the right way the first time.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I take it he wasn't a tournament player...

I never use sideboards casually, but in tournaments if you don't have one you tend to get beaten up.

Killer Joe

He would play in local tournaments and when he'd lose the first game of a match he'd haggle his opponent about them using their SB. :(

Don't know WHAT'S become of him now?