• Five-Color

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artifact-Based (Can have some colors)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Time to build another "Build a Deck" Deck. Same old same old. Poll for a week; Highlander style. Build it casual style. And all that good stuff.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Early on, the 5C casual is gaining votes.... in Highlander, it'll be interesting... 1 of each Multiland and 1 of each painland? :D Then maybe 1 of each basic for those basic land grabbers...

If/when we do the next red deck, I say we build it around our 1st "casual" card, the 2-H Giant....

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
That seems like an interesting idea. Or perhaps that could be another aspect of the hall of fame. For each card inducted, we select an individual (or another committee) to build a theme deck around that one card.

Ransac, cpa trash man

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Call me Captain Obvious, but I think we ought to try and stay away from cards this time that require more than 1 of a specific color of mana (but I'd say Sliver Queen is IN! ;))

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
TomB said:
Call me Captain Obvious, but I think we ought to try and stay away from cards this time that require more than 1 of a specific color (but I'd say Sliver Queen is IN! ;))
Sensible.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, if we go 5-color (which seems to be the overwhelming favorite right now), who do we avoid that?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Remind everyone that this is a five-color deck and that if they put in something like Dawn Elemental, The Orgg will hunt the offender down, break his kneecaps, etc.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
TomB said:
Call me Captain Obvious, but I think we ought to try and stay away from cards this time that require more than 1 of a specific color of mana (but I'd say Sliver Queen is IN! ;))

Oversoul said:
Remind everyone that this is a five-color deck and that if they put in something like Dawn Elemental, The Orgg will hunt the offender down, break his kneecaps, etc.
*Slaps forehead*

I misinterpreted TomB's statement (meaning I didn't thoroughly read it). Yeah, I agree with that.

EDITED: Dammit. I'm really bored and want this deck finished soon so I can play against it.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Could we, say, limit the number of gold cards?
Say 3 total? Or 1? or none?
Or gold cards must contain all colors that the deck is being built with (all 5 for this one).... maybe as a variant to the highlander rules.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I was actually thinking about having that be the options for the next poll. Imagine the CPA designing a Highlander "Battle of Wits" deck (Well, Highlander EXCEPT for the BOW).

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just curious Mooseman, why the restrictions on gold cards (or conditions in general)? Have gold cards been a problem in the past Build-a-Decks?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Just a reminder that the poll will close tomorrow. It seems that 5-color is the way to go, so be prepared.

Does everyone like the concept on voting on different alternate win conditions for the next poll?

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

One thought on the gold cards limitations is it is often hard enough to get 1 color, let alone 2-3 in a 5-C... at least not consistently...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, presumably someone will add mana-fixers in then.

I guess overall, the question is about building these decks, do people just add in their "favorite" card or look to see what direction the deck is heading and try to build/help towards it?

B

BigBlue

I try to fit cards in with what is already there.... though I do also try to include cards I like as well... I think in "early" deck formation it's something I like, but later - it has to work with what is already in place.

One thing I learned from a good player a long time ago is that every deck should have at most 2 or possibly 3 things going on in it... and every card in it should accomplish one of those 2 things.... if it get's too scattered, it just doesn't work... Of course, if it meets it's nemesis it's also done for... but you just have to hope you don't meet it's nemesis...