Breaking Ice Cauldron... True Casual Meta

T

train

Now - here's a broken idea I have... I wouldn't play it because it's blue - but it's extremely strong with U/B mana/control

Power Conduit - Ice Cauldron - Mind over Matter...

We'll use a swamp, lake of the dead, and some mana to pay BBBBBBBBBB, remove drain life from our hand, and put a charge counter on the cauldron(BBBBBBBBBB)...

Now - We let a few turns go by adding charge counters to the cauldron with the conduit - removing counters from our... Entrails feaster or something else... We build up 4 charge counters on the Cauldron, and go to town....

-Tap to remove a charge counter - add BBBBBBBBBB to the mana pool...
-Use the mind to untap the cauldron, tap remove charge counter -add BBBBBBBBBB to the mana pool...
-Mind - untap cauldron, tap remove charge counter, add BBBBBBBBBB to pool...

wash rinse repeat... for an extremely PHAT drain life...

nice huh?!...

Please - don't let ideas from my mind out into the world...
:D

T

train

Think anyone has ever used Cauldron that effectively before?!...

;) :cool:

R

Reverend Love

Not like that..

I don't have any Cauldron's but I do have some Lake of the Deads.......:cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yet another card that works with Power Conduit, yay...

Oh well, at least it's Ice Cauldron for once. That card always gets portrayed in such a negative light...

And I used to use it a lot too...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately you're using to blue to counter any Disenchants or the like during the several turns wait to build up counters... :)

T

train

Well - the Blue was in there for that reason... but you could also do something as simple as Time Warp... time walk, and any of the other "I take extra turns and win" cards...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, but I always liked those cards better than the ones that say, "you can take some extra turns and win."

T

train

You could always jusy orim's chant, or abeyance your opponent - causing them to miss their turn...

See - even non-blue Ice can work...;)

N

Notepad

Why does Ice Cauldron get dissed so much? Not a super card, but it can be a fun card. I remember back in high school a guy would play his monoblack deck and had Cauldrons in it. He always set up big Drain Life spells with it. He didn't even need combo pieces, just collected a bunch of mana.

Of course, this was the day when Sengier Vampire+Sorceress Queen+Nettling Imp was key tech.

D

DeathMaster666

Well its dissed up on because it is so damn confusing and the font is about 4-point. You need a bloody microscope to read the damn thing. Its not a bad card, but when you pop it down on the table, people are gonna be confused as hell.

N

Notepad

Maybe it is the text, but I always thought it was the risk of putting a good spell and half a buildup on wait for a turn. But even then, the chances of having a fun spell go off big are high when you play casual, because removal has likely been spent on Armadillo Cloaks and Worships. Or back in the old days, Coccoon, Mirror Universe, and Control Magic. :D ;)

(Yes, people in my play group were crazy about Coccoon for some reason. Even I tried to play it a few times but realized it was too slow.)

D

DeathMaster666

Worst comes to worst, you bait them with something.

N

Notepad

Master said "bait"

*muffles a laugh*

*FAILS*

HEH HEH HEH HEH!!!

T

train

SeFRo - the risk of waiting and building up for the spell - is the same risk as seeing 2 untapped islands on your opponent's side -they either have a way to stop you or they don't...

That's a risk worth taking to me - especially if it could win you the game...

;)

N

Notepad

I like the risk and payoff, too, but I never did get more than 2 ice cauldrons, so I gave up on making the deck way back in the day.

Always seemed like it would be fun, though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I never really thought of it in terms of an Ice Cauldron deck. It never seemed to have a deck to be built around it. An interesting idea...

N

Notepad

Of course an Ice Cauldron deck would be nothing without a theme, which is why you also need Frozen Shade and Frozen Solid. Heh. Oh, and Fire/Ice.