Bloodthirst

R

Rakarth

Here's another deck creation of mine :) This one uses the bloodthirst ability and cheap/suspended burn and damage abilities to see they get the extra P/T. It's not the most efficient deck in the world I suppose but I like making them work. Here it is then :D

Land

11 Forest
11 Mountain

Creatures

2 Llanowar Augur
1 Skarrgan Skybreaker
3 Sakura Tribe-Scout
2 Petrified Wood-Kin
4 Scab-Clan Mauler
1 Llanowar Elves
4 Emberwilde Augur
1 Bloodscale Prowler
3 Ghor-Clan Savage
1 Wild Cantor

Spells

2 Rampant Growth
4 Farseek
4 Seal Of Fire
3 Quiet Disrepair
2 Wildsize
1 Primal Rage

This deck as gone through a few different versions, I'm trying to get the balance right so I draw enough mana acceleraters, burn/damage dealers and of course, the bloodthirst creatures to play. All this as well as land is a lot to ask of your hand I know but on the occassion that it works this deck is quite quick.

If I get a Seal of Fire or two in my starting hand then I can get them down before I can play my creatures so I have no need to spend mana on turn 2. Usuall this means I have a Scab-Cla Mauler down turn 2 which is nice as it's a 3/3 trampler for two mana. After this the deck hopefully self-perpetuates, each creature dealing the damage in the combat phase to give the next creature coming down the bloodthirst bonus.

There's only a few spells in here, they're mainly burn or mana grabbers but a few give a little boost to the creatures, mainly trample to get the damage through if they get blocked. There is also the obligatory enchanment destruction in Quiet Disrepair.

Any suggestions are as always welcome. I would like to keep the deck focused on the bloodthirst obviously :) but there are a few different cards I've considered like Skarrgan Pit-Skulk but he needs pumping to really get his Creatures less than his can't block him ability. There's also Burning-Tree Bloodscale with his forced blocking/not-blocking ability which gets damage through but costs 3cc, or Bogardan Lancer with flanking and is quite cheap.

Rakarth

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
As soon as you said "suspended burn," I immediately thought "Wow! Rift Bolt and Bloodthirst.... actually works!!!" You should throw in Rift Bolt and whatever "Suspend' burn you can find.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

Budget Player Cadet

I played gruul, and I LOVED the seals. They were just that good.
What you should consider is the Honden of infinite rage. It makes bloodthirst automatic.
Kird ape is also a good addition to any G/R deck.

R

Rakarth

Thanks, I do have a good idea occasionally, it takes me a few minutes to recover from it too :p I was thinking of trying Petrified Plating as well, a suspended pump-up enchantment, +2/+2 for 1cc is nice as it'll wait for the big guy to come into play, although he has to be in play the turn before otherwise I can't attach it.

The deck should work on its own but the big finale should be getting a Petrifeid Wood-Kin into play off the back of a load of damage (probably trampled through) and burn. Un-counterable (Yeh I made that up :)) and immune to instants so almost guaranteed to get in and be big when it does:D, I just need maybe one more?

Rakarth

B

Budget Player Cadet

I tried to get him, but then my Gruul Deck fell apart. I had the war plow, borborygmos, and a load of enablers.
I mentioned the Honden on a whim, and then I realized... There is a non-budget version that every G/R deck should have, especially with bloodthirst guys... RUMBLING SLUM!
Rumbling Slum is just simply unfair! He may be multi-color, but he automatically enables bloodthirst (at the beginning of your upkeep, 1 damage to each player) and is on its own a 5/5 for 4cc. It really doesn't get much better without going into ball lightning range.

R

Rakarth

Ahhhh yes, Rumbling Slum :D I somehow forget that guy, the Honden of Infinite Rage also seems like a nice card and I only need the one in play, 1 damage is enough to get my deck on a roll :)

Borborygmos is cool to although I was trying to aim for killing as quick as possible with what I've got with the Wood-Kin coming in as muscle if my opponent isn't done. I suppose he'd be a good addition along with the Wood-Kin as back-up, maybe 1 or 2, what do you think?

The War-Plow I might consider more than the Honden I think as it helps the creaturers already down which should have the bloodthirst bonus already, and Rumbling Slum is a great card but it needs 4 mana to get on the field and then only starts doing damage the next turn whereas this deck aims to be quicker with the bloodthirst.

I still want to get a couple though cause if I get stuck in a long game with someone countering my burn spells or blocking my damage maybe a selection Slum/Borborygmos/Wood-Kin later in the game could still be effective?

As a point, what would I take out to put in Rift Bolt, would it be other burn? Also, what about the cards to be replaced for any of the others mentioned, the War-Plow, Borborygmos, Rumbling Slum or Honden?

Rakarth