Blocking timing.

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Gryphonclaw, Apr 7, 2000.

1. Gryphonclaw New Member

My opponent declares an attack.
    I say no fast effects.
    My opponent taps his masticore and a faery conclave to attack.
    I say fine.
    I state that I am declaring blockers.
    I activate my kjeldoran outpost to make a soldier token.
    He pings it in response to it coming into play. I am positive that this is not possible and tell him so. So he pings it when it comes into play. I declare it as a blocker in response.
    How does the timing work on this?
    Is it possible for me to declare the token as blocking the masticore and sac it to a martyrs cause to prevent the damage from the conclave? If so, what is the timing? Alternatively, what can he prevent by killing the token?
  2. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

There is a problem, I'm afraid.
    During the Declare Blockers step nobody can play spells or abilities until after blaockers are declared.

You will need to make a Soldier before going into Declare Blockers (during Declare Attackers). Of course, your opponent can kill the little guy before declare blockers as well.

For those who don't know:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Martyr's Cause 2W
    Enchantment
    Sacrifice a creature: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to target creature or player this turn, prevent that
    damage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, you can use a Soldier token to block the Masticore, then sac it to Martyr's Cause to prevent the damage from another creature. The only timing rule you have to observe here is that you must perform the sacrifice before the damage is actually dealt to you (anytime after you declare your blockers).

Killing the token can prevent it from doing or being used for anything that isn't an instant-speed ability. Killing it cannot keep you from sacrificing it to Martyr's Cause, will not unblock something it's already been declared as blocking, and won't remove combat damage that it's already placed on the stack.
    I know that's more than you asked; just want to save you (or anyone) the trouble of asking these questions as well.
  3. Ura Feline Lord of the Pit

From what I understand combat goes:

Declare attack phase
    fast effects
    Declare attackers
    fast effects &lt;---- This is where you would make the token so it could block if it doesn't die from pinging first.
    Declare blockers
    more fast effects
    damage dealing
  4. Gryphonclaw New Member

Okay, I realize that fast effects cannot be played during the declare blockers step, but can't they be played after the attackers have been declared and tapped?

Basically, is there any way to manipulate the timing (i.e. abuse the stack) to get my soldier token blocking that masticore?
  5. Wizard2000 New Member

I think that you would create the token after he declares the attack. The token would go on the stack, then the ping damage would go on the stack. The ping damage would resolve first and the token wouldn't be in play yet... so the ping damage would fizzle out.

I'm confusing myself more than you about now so I'll leave this alone. Am I totally wrong or what?
  6. Wizard2000 New Member

Uhm.. ignore that last post. I missed something in the first post. Sorry! :(
  7. Apollo Bird Boy

No, there is no way to manipulate it so that you could block the 'Core. Ura had the steps right. The latest possible time that you could make a toked is the declare attackers step. After the Outpost resolves, he can still play effects and ping it.

Apollo
  8. Gryphonclaw New Member