Blastoderm can be enchanted...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by jcredberry, Dec 21, 2000.

1. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

Hi, a was looking thru my cards when I "discovered" that many of the creature enchantments I have don't use the word "target" on them... Like Arrest, Crown of Flames or Tiger Claws...

Does this mean I can use any of them on a Blastoderm???

My friend are getting pretty mad about this issue!!! :eek:
  2. Ransac CPA Trash Man

To enchant anything, you must be able to target it.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  3. arhar Member

Blastoderm says "can't be the target of spells or abilities". Enchantments are spells. Ergo, you can't cast enchantments on Blastoderms :D
  4. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

I think the rule is pretty clear... It's like saying a Wrath of God can't destroy the Blastoderm or that you can't use the ability of the Altar of Ashnod to get mana using a Blastoderm...

What I mean is if it doesn't say "TARGET" you can use it on a Blastoderm...
  5. nodnarb24 Supreme Overlord/The Rat King

You are choosing to put the creature enchantment on the creature. Whenever one thing is choosen to do something to a thing it is targeting that thing. So no you can't cast an enchant creature on a blastoderm.
  6. Purple_jester New Member

You can't enchant anything that is untargetable. Yes, the rules are pretty clear on this, JC. Here, take a look at this excerpt from the general rulings:

G.40 - Targeting--Is Something Targeted
    G.40.1 - A spell or ability is targeted if (and only if) it uses the word "target" in its card text. [D'Angelo 98/02/03] When in doubt, read the card.
    G.40.2 - There is one exception to Rule G.40.1. Local enchantments target the permanent they are being placed on at the time they are played even though they do not use the word "target". [D'Angelo 98/02/03]
    G.40.3 - Local enchantments on a permanent target the permanent (as a spell) when cast. They do not target the permanent they enchant while in play. The abilities of enchantments generally do not target the card they are on. For example, Firebreathing's effect does not target the creature to give it +1/+0 and Regeneration does not target the creature when it is used. [CompRules 99/04/23]] See Rule K.12.5 and Rule K.12.8.

[Edited by Purple_jester on 12-21-00 at 06:54 PM]
  7. fuzzy510 I Don't REALLY Exist

Wrath of God CAN'T destroy Blastoderm, I do believe. Since WoG doesn't directly target Blastoderm, I think it's safe.
  8. Griffith_se Queen of the Sub-Optimal

Examples
    Blastoderm dies to Wrath of God. (no target)
    Does not die to Terror. (has the word target)
    Does die to a 5 point Earthquake. (no target)
    Does not die to Snuff. (has the word target)

See?

I think I saw somewhere a different wording one time. Something like...
    - A card than has a single target is targeting :rolleyes: (Ah, can't remember the wording).

Anyway, A creature enchantment has a single target, so it can not be played on Blasto.

I probably just confused the issue.

Don't worry Chaos Turtle will fix it. :)
  9. Ura Feline Lord of the Pit

Blastoderm will die to a wrath of god. Why?
    Because Wrath of God and like effects (earthquake, forced march, powder keg) are global effects and don't target anything.
    Cards like terror, lightning bolt, Swords to plowshares, and any card that enchants a permenant requires the caster to choose a target whether it uses the word target or not. Therefore effects like this can't be used on Blastoderm or any other untargetable creatures.

However, it is possible to enchant blastoderm by casting the enchantment on a different creature and then using Crown of the Ages to move the enchantment from the creature its on to the blastoderm. Why does this work?
    Because crown of the ages targets the enchantment, not the creature. I believe Enchantment Alteration works in the same fashion.

Miya! >^-^<
  10. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Well, Purple Jester had it right, but I'll restate and clarify.

Any spell or ability which uses the word "target" is targetted.
    Local enchantment spells target whatever they will enchant.
    Blastoderm is immune to both of these.

All other spells are not targetted, and can affect Blastoderm.
    Examples would be: Wrath of God, Perish, Earthquake(5), Powder Keg(4), Void(4).

Two not-so-obvious ones are Fling and Rupture, which require the sacrifice of a creature when they resolve. You can sacrifice your Blastoderm to these spells.

Another quirky exception is effects which put enchantments into play by some method other than casting them.
    Crown of the Ages, Enchantment Alteration, and Replenish are among those cards which can move an enchantment from another creature onto the Blastoderm, or put it directly into play enchanting your Blastoderm.

The reason this works is that these spells/abilities don't target Blastoderm (though they might target the enchantment) and the enchantments themselves don't target anything (since they're not being played from your hand).

Did I miss anything?
  11. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Ooohh, you snuck right by me, Ura...
  12. Ura Feline Lord of the Pit

hehehe, woohoo!! *grins* :D
  13. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

Ok, so I was wrong... Worth trying it!!!
    But what happens with Altar of Ashnod ability??? Can it be used sacrificing a Blastoderm???

Thanx for your help...
  14. Gizmo Composite: 1860

15. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

(It should be noted that an enchanted creature that GAINS untargetability (i.e., via an Alexi's Cloak) does not lose all the enchantments on it. A local enchantment is only 'targetted' when it is being played, once it has resolved, it no longer targets, and remains even if the creature it enchants becomes untargetable.)
  16. Duel Has Less Posts Than Spiderman

"sacrifice a creature" does not target.

Also, If you kill off an academy rector, and fetch, say, confiscate, you can confiscate a blastoderm.
    Dunno why, but it works.
  17. Thallid Ice Cream Man 21sT CeNTuRy sChIZoId MaN

I thought that if you moved a local enchantment from one permanent to another, it counted as though it had just come into play again. Am I right?
  18. arhar Member

Nope. A permanent comes into play only once.
  19. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

That's an older wording that was abandoned when comes-into-play abilities bacame common; the 6th edition rules make it nonsensical anyway.
  20. Duel Has Less Posts Than Spiderman

Yeah, when you move a local enchantment, it remains the same. Just with a new target.