Black Market

G

Gerode

Enchantment Cost=3BB MM(R1)
"Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play, put a charge counter on Black Market.
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add {B} to your mana pool for each charge counter on Black Market."

How can you abuse this card? My four Markets are burning a hole in my trade binder, and I must find a way to use them. I tried building a deck with black inflatables that failed. I have ideas using Plague Spitter, Vampires and Sadistic Glee, and Infernal Genesis. Does anybody play with this card?

C

Cateran Emperor

I had a deck based on that, Saprolings, and subsequently huge Drain Lifes and Shades of various sorts as mana sinks. It's hilarious when it starts working.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

It would fit well in FecAltar, although it isn't reason enough alone to put in black...

Or you could put in artifacts and do weird sacrificial stuff like Altar of Dementia or Ashnod's Altar. Chimeric Staff might be an ok way to sink mana - or Snake Basket, if you have some kind of recursion.

Maybe a combo deck, with cards like Diabolic Intent to search for stuff, and 0-cost creatures, and so forth... Maybe some weird kind of deck with Doomsday and Soldevi Digger and Drain Lifes to go off and kill one person, then the next, then the next... (e.g. multiplayer)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why did the black inflatable idea fail?

What about colorless inflatables, like Carrion Ants and Dragon Engine?

Or a way to store the mana more permanently, like Iceberg?

M

Mikeymike

Cateran Emperor's got the right idea. Try Pestilence too to wipe the board clean and make the Market bigger. Dregs of Sorrow (underrated) could be very good too. If your going to uses pumpers, use ones with evasion (like the one with shadow from Tempest).

Think of Artifacts/other cards with huge activation costs also:
Predator flagship, 2 great abilities
Rocket Launcher
Disturbed burial
Big black creatures (Spirit of the Night, yea)
Oath of Lim-Dul

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, my friend built a B/W deck that revolves around this card. It packs some free white creatures for the kill, it kills all other creatures with Planeswalker's Scorn, and it gains life with Planeswalker's Mirth. This deck does really well in Multiplayer games.

Ransac, cpa trash man

K

krichaiushii

Varchild's Warriders makes lots of 1/1s (for your opponents) which you can in turn kill... for more market mana.

In the depths of the decks forum here, is a thread entitled:
multiplayer U/B/R : Not Yet Named. I started it, and it explores this idea a bit more.

Also, consider running a search in the decks forum for all posts mentioning Black Market. You might find lots of good ideas.

I don't have one, but how similar is the Dark land City of Shadows to Black Market (aside from generating colorless mana)? I forget how the mana counters pile up on the City of Shadows. But that could prove useful after a while...

Just some thoughts.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Infernal Tribute (Weatherlight)
BBB
Enchantment
2, Sacrifice a permanent: Draw a card.

E

Ephrils

How about Breeding Pit and Ashnod's Alter? Sac the tokens to the Alter and you're up one black mana. It'll work every turn since the tokens breed during the upkeep. As long as you have more than 1 token out you shuld gain more mana out of it.

I

Istanbul

Useable with Masticore.

Masticore shoots your opponent's creatures.
This makes Black Market give you mana.
This mana is then sunk into regeneration shields, or more creature destruction.
And since all of his abilities cost 2, you never take more than 1 point of mana burn.