BGW Triad Control for MP

Killer Joe

I have always liked adjusting tourney decks to make them playable for multiplayer games. Only the two *Syphon* cards where changed in this weaker version of BGW Triad Control. I recently found out there are many, many versions of this deck but I had these cards and so I put them together to make a –kind of- version of this now popular Standard deck.

The Debtor’s Knell is just about amazing in multiplayer :)

Land: 24
2 Forest
3 Godless Shrine
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
4 Overgrown Tomb
5 Plains
1 Scabland <-- I need another Godless Shrine
4 Swamp
4 Temple Garden

Creatures: 13
1 Grave-Shell Scarab
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
3 Loxodon Hierarch
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
2 Yosei, the Morning Star

Spells: 23
1 Crime // Punishment
2 Debtor’s Knell
2 Diabolic Tutor
4 Faith’s Fetters
3 Mortify
3 Putrefy
3 Syphon Mind
2 Syphon Soul
4 Wrath of God

L

Limited

If I was to make a deck like this, I'd want some way of returning spells to my hand.
It would really make this deck very nasty if you added 4x Eternal Witness, so that Debtor's Knell can be used to return them to play and return removal etc when needed.

2ct

L

Limited

Honestly, I'd drop the Syphon Souls and two Fetters..
You've still got two Fetters, Kokusho and Miren to gain you some life, but I doubt it'll even matter.
And you can then probably drop the fourth WoG.

Killer Joe

Mooseman said:
Maybe 1 Fetters and 2 WOG?
Or the other way around.
Oh sure, I'd bet you'd like for me to replace ALL of my spells with lands :p

Well, I took out both of the *Syphon* spells and replaced one with a Phyrexian Arena (the only one I own), 2x Night's Whisper and 2x Eternal Witness.

I know, that's five slots so I added a 61st. card

I also replaced the Diabolic Tutors with Demonic Tutors.

I suppose two Faith's Fetters can go and be replaced with two more Eternal Witness. I'll have to make minor adjustments to the basic land mix to accommodate more green mana symbols.

The Miren I thought I had is a the Leg. Land that gives Leg. Creatures fear.

Thanks for your help.

Killer Joe

2 Forest
3 Godless Shrine
4 Overgrown Tomb
5 Plains
1 Scabland
3 Swamp
4 Temple Garden
1 Volrath's Stronghold

Creatures: 14
3 Watchwolf
3 Loxodon Hierarch
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

Spells: 23
2 Debtor’s Knell
2 Demonic Tutor
4 Faith’s Fetters
3 Mortify
3 Putrefy
4 Wrath of God
1 Orzhov Signet
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Golgari Signet
2 Pernicious Deed

Okay, after much thought and some "goldfish" testing, I came up with this version.

This is the deck I'm going to play in June's MML at GASP. Here's a quick low-down on the current rules:

Banned List:
~No Ante Cards
~No Vanguard Character Cards
~No Proxy's
~No Silver Bordered Cards

No restricted list!

We all start out at 20 life (last year we started out at 30 life)

On turn seven and every turn after that we implement a "Serum Visions" effect during your draw step.

Minimum 60 card deck

Three ways to gain points:
~Placement Points: You recieve placement points according to when you were eliminated from the game. The first person out recieves 1 placement point; second person out recieves 2 placement points; etc...
~Kill Points: You recieve one kill point for each player YOU eliminate from the game.
~Victory Points (This is new for this year): The winner of the game recieves 3 victory points.

In the past it was possible to win the game but still not be the highest point scorer. So we agreed at the rules meeting last December that a player should be rewarded for winning the game.

The deck listed above is not agressive although you might think it should be given the parameters of this environment. I have found that it's better, for me at least, to hang on as long as I can and when the game is left with two or three players then I wield the power of the deck I'm playing since mostly they're really just "adjusted" duel decks.

The components of the deck need to remain the same but only a few ancillary cards from the original deck are left out like the Phyrexian Arena (On turn seven we have the Serum Visions effect so no need for a card drawer). This way if and when I make it past the half-way point of the game my deck can step-up and do its *THING*

What I need are some stern criticism for this version.

What say you?

Thanks

L

Limited

First, I think with 24 lands and 4 Sakura-Tribe Elders, you don't need Signet. Perhaps you could replace them with a fourth Watchwolf, a fourth Mortify and a fourth Putrefy? I would really help make your deck a lot more aggressive and might score you some more kill points.

I like the point system; makes it clear what you need to do to 'win' (aka, how, given a certain situation, you can score the most points).
Adding Victory points to the Placement points does feel like you are promoting a passive approach; personally I would award two points per player kill, so you'll have some quicker games.

And the turn 7 scry also seems to benefit the slower, more controllish or combo based decks.. Just isn't for me, I gues.

Killer Joe

Hmmm, the signets were an afterthought, they also crumble to the Deed.

2 Forest
3 Godless Shrine
4 Overgrown Tomb
5 Plains
1 Scabland
3 Swamp
4 Temple Garden
1 Volrath's Stronghold

Creatures: 15
4 Watchwolf
3 Loxodon Hierarch
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

Spells: 22
2 Debtor’s Knell
2 Demonic Tutor
4 Faith’s Fetters
4 Mortify
4 Putrefy

4 Wrath of God
2 Pernicious Deed

As for the point system the MML which was called the Rogue League prior to me taking it over in Jan. of '05 had already experimented with the placement/kill point system and after several years they came up with this part of the point system, so I'm used to it and probably won't make a motion to change it for next year.

As for the scry on turn seven, I introduced that to the group in Jan of '05 and after a year of having it the group voted it back into the rules again this year. The Victory points I introduced this past Dec. and it got voted in.

Yes, these do seem to be in 'favor' of the control player (me :)), and I seem to be the only one who consistantly plays that part in our games, hence, I win alot!

Thanks for the input.

~Mark

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Killer Joe said:
Yes, these do seem to be in 'favor' of the control player (me ), and I seem to be the only one who consistantly plays that part in our games, hence, I win alot!
Well, it must not be that obvious if they voted it in again :)

I look forward to your reports!

Killer Joe

I recently started to look at my old decks again (played with Mooseman last Saturday night) and I had converted this deck to fit the new MML rule of "75" card deck minimum. It's real slow. I also changed it for that format but that's only once a month but I am planning to play again this Saturday night and I don't want to have it at 75 cards so I made a 'sideboard' of sorts for it with 14 cards since I trimmed the deck down to 61 for non-MML games.

Looking at what I used to have in this deck it looks a little different now. Here it is my BGW Triad Control for Multiplayer Games:

4 Loxodon Hierarch
4 Eternal Witness
4 Wall of Roots

4 Rout
4 Syphon Soul
4 Demonic Tutor
3 Phyrexian Arena
2 Mortify
2 Putrify
2 Vindicate
1 Disturbed Burial

4 Windswept Heath
4 Godless Shrine
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple Garden
3 Savannah
1 Scabland <---Scrubland (the BW Dual Land) Thanks Ransac! :)
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Miren, ......????
2 Swamps

I'm doing this from memory but I think I got it all right. The basic idea is to cast Kokusho and get it into my graveyard as many times as needed in order to kill everyone. I think I had Genesis in the deck but it's too slow. I don't have much in the way of destruction like Disenchant and such so having only six ways to deal with other player's stuff is thin, besides, I'm more likely to use the creature destruction for Kokusho.

This has got to be one of my favorite decks I've played. I remember when I would NEVER consider Black, Green and White as a viable deck but then again I never tried it before. I have no idea why but I just love THREE-COLOR decks. :rolleyes:

M

Modus Pwnens

innocent blood is a lovely way to get kokusho to the yard ;)
And in my opinion it's better to play 0 putrefy, 4 vindicates than 2/2.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Um.... I'm confused by the inclusion of "Scabland." That's the R/W tempest pain-land. My eyes detect no red in your deck.

Do you mean....... SCRUBland?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

I do have a third Vindicate and I do have it in my '14 card sideboard' for the larger deck version. I'll swap out the Morts & Putes and add my other Vindicate and 3 Innocent Blood (very cheap, thanks).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
train has one of these type decks, but I haven't seen an update since Mirrodin? Champions? so it could probably be updated... I'll have to find a decklist first...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You're thr third person to say that :D

Yep, earning some overtime... and it looks like I'm not gonna get done before I get out of here, so I gotta come in on another Saturday soon...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The Rock was a B/G control deck. It's original key cards were Deranged Hermit and Phyrexian Plaguelord. You knew that though, didn't you?